• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, a little bit of spreading/bowing is OK. But I am new AE owner. Someone with more mileage on their shoes may have a different opinion.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does AE have a sale coming up? I went in to the local AE about 2 months ago and he said there was one some time in the next few months...well that is coming up. Trying to pick up some strands.

They had a 2 for $300 sale about 3 months ago I think. I'm so angry I didn't get a chance to pick some strands up. Waiting for the next sale...

g.michael

Reaction score

This may not be the appropriate place, but I figured this thread would definitely be the group who would know. I recently, upon the recommendations of this forum, purchased two pair of AE Park Aves, one in black and one in merlot. I'm in the slow process of building a young(ish) professional wardrobe, and these are my first pair of real dress shoes. 

I went to my local AE store and was sized. We initially arrived at a 10.5C, but that felt just a little loose and I was concerned about leather stretching. We then tried a 10.5B which seemed to fit like a glove in the store (black). I've only worn the merlot pair out once since purchasing, and for a few hours around the house. After a day of wearing them, my feet hurt so bad, especially my pinky toes, that I could barely walk. Now, I notice an uncomfortable pressure on the outside ball of my foot and my pinky toe as soon as I put the shoes on. I've noticed a slight difference in where the pressure is between each pair, but neither is comfortable. 

I contacted the AE store, and they assured me that this was normal. However, they offered, if I would wear them around the house a few more evenings, to first attempt to stretch the shoes, and then exchange them if I am not happy. Basically, I'm hoping if someone can give me an tips for how they should feel. Is it normal for them to be this uncomfortable while breaking them in? If I put them on and then sit in a chair, I am definitely aware of pressure on my feet. I'm really like a lot of AE shoes and am more than willing to go through the discomfort of breaking them in, but if this is not normal and indicates the wrong size, I'd rather get them exchanged sooner rather than later. 

you should think about trying 11B--width should be between a 10.5 B/C and a little longer

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may not be the appropriate place, but I figured this thread would definitely be the group who would know. I recently, upon the recommendations of this forum, purchased two pair of AE Park Aves, one in black and one in merlot. I'm in the slow process of building a young(ish) professional wardrobe, and these are my first pair of real dress shoes. 

I went to my local AE store and was sized. We initially arrived at a 10.5C, but that felt just a little loose and I was concerned about leather stretching. We then tried a 10.5B which seemed to fit like a glove in the store (black). I've only worn the merlot pair out once since purchasing, and for a few hours around the house. After a day of wearing them, my feet hurt so bad, especially my pinky toes, that I could barely walk. Now, I notice an uncomfortable pressure on the outside ball of my foot and my pinky toe as soon as I put the shoes on. I've noticed a slight difference in where the pressure is between each pair, but neither is comfortable. 

I contacted the AE store, and they assured me that this was normal. However, they offered, if I would wear them around the house a few more evenings, to first attempt to stretch the shoes, and then exchange them if I am not happy. Basically, I'm hoping if someone can give me an tips for how they should feel. Is it normal for them to be this uncomfortable while breaking them in? If I put them on and then sit in a chair, I am definitely aware of pressure on my feet. I'm really like a lot of AE shoes and am more than willing to go through the discomfort of breaking them in, but if this is not normal and indicates the wrong size, I'd rather get them exchanged sooner rather than later. 

There's no way it is "normal" to be experiencing this amount of pain to break in a pair of shoes. Either these shoes were not fitted right, or the last just does not fit your foot. They sound too small for you. New shoes may be a little stiff at first; what you describe is an ill fitting pair, not break in process.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I have a question concerning the fit of my AE Danbury's (5 last). These are my first pair of balmorals, these sized 7.5D, and I'm wondering if the spreading of the quarters due to my high instep is acceptable in the pics below. The shoes feel very good in the heel and ball, snug but not tight, but I'm wondering if this looks bad and if I can expect any problems long term. I haven't broken in the shoes yet, just walked on carpet without flexing the front. PS: I'm aware of the various posts on this subject elsewhere on styleforum (which are overall inconclusive).

Last week I finally received my shell Bradley's and despite the fact they are on the same last as most of my other 10 pair of AE shoes they are worse than yours. I have almost no arch and a low volume foot, but do wear orthotics. Friday I called the AE store a couple of hours away to order in a pair of 5th Street in my size to try and mentioned the fit of the Bradley's to the salesperson on the phone. She knew exactly what I was talking about and said it is called bowing and it is caused by too much volume in the shoe and can be fixed most of the time by taking up the extra space. When I go to the store next week I will take my Bradley's and see what she can do as long as she offered. In the mean time I have played around with the lacing and although like you prefer the bar lacing, by doing cross lacing instead I can bring it in to where it almost looks like yours. But still bothers me based on looks alone. Will post what happens after I make the trip there later next week.

I put up a photo couple of days ago for someone that wanted to compare the shell Bradley's to an older pair of shell Leeds. The Bradley's on the left have less than 3 hours wear on them and you can see the bowing even with trees in them. Was in a hurry when I took the picture so didn't clean up the lacing but you should be able to get an idea of how bad it is.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some updated Kenilworth pics.

This was the original shine, before they were even worn outside:

These were taken today after I wore them to church this AM. They've probably averaged 1-2 wears/week since I purchased them in late Sept. After the original shine, I've brushed regularly and applied Renovateur a couple of times. I don't think I've added any additional wax since the initial shine.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
I was at the AE store yesterday and have a question:
Have you guys found the Strand and the Kenliworth fit differently? I didn't get a chance to try the Kenliworth on, and I know they are on the same last, but the sales rep said they will fit differently because of the difference in number of eyelets.

Also, I'm seeing that there are only a few sizes for the Walnut shell Strands online. Are they discontinuing them?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you guys found the Strand and the Kenliworth fit differently? I didn't get a chance to try the Kenliworth on, and I know they are on the same last, but the sales rep said they will fit differently because of the difference in number of eyelets.
Also, I'm seeing that there are only a few sizes for the Walnut shell Strands online. Are they discontinuing them?

They will certainly fit differently, primarily because the Kenilworth is a blucher while the Strand is a balmoral. That's probably more of a factor than the number of eyelets. Not sure about future plans for the Strand but if what you see here at SF is any indication, it's a fairly good seller.

Last edited:

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

They will certainly fit differently, primarily because the Kenilworth is a blucher while the Strand is a balmoral. That's probably more of a factor than the number of eyelets. Not sure about future plans for the Strand but if what you see here at SF is any indication, it's a fairly good seller.

The fit will certainly feel different, with the blucher kenilworth feeling "looser" than the strand...but does this mean one gets different sizes of shoe based on blucher and balamoral even if on the same lasts like the strand vs kenilworth?

sns23

Reaction score

I wear an 8.5D in the strand and found that an 8E in the Kenilworth fit best

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fit will certainly feel different, with the blucher kenilworth feeling "looser" than the strand...but does this mean one gets different sizes of shoe based on blucher and balamoral even if on the same lasts like the strand vs kenilworth?

That's a great question. For me, I found that the strand in my measured/brannock size of 11D didn't fit at all. Same goes for the Park Ave. However, an 11D in the Kenilworth fits wonderfully. This is because I have a high instep, which creates more volume so some narrow shoes/lasts don't fit well. However, the blucher lacing pattern gives me the additional needed volume right were I need it, at the instep.

For years, I thought I had wide feet but time after time, the brannock measures me at a solid D. I was getting fitted for hiking boots of all things when the fitter recommended a higher volume boot mfr.

So now I find that bluchers are often a better fit for me, especially in the narrower lasts. So to answer your question, like most things concerning fit...it depends :).

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

That's a great question. For me, I found that the strand in my measured/brannock size of 11D didn't fit at all. Same goes for the Park Ave. However, an 11D in the Kenilworth fits wonderfully. This is because I have a high instep, which creates more volume so some narrow shoes/lasts don't fit well. However, the blucher lacing pattern gives me the additional needed volume right were I need it, at the instep.
For years, I thought I had wide feet but time after time, the brannock measures me at a solid D. I was getting fitted for hiking boots of all things when the fitter recommended a higher volume boot mfr.
So now I find that bluchers are often a better fit for me, especially in the narrower lasts. So to answer your question, like most things concerning fit...it depends :).

Hmm...I have that problem too I think. I have the strands in 9E which fit great, but my kenilworths in 9E seem a little loose and longer length wise (because the blucher lacing system "gives away" more due to more spacing between the flaps vs a balamoral). I correct this by adjusting my laces on my kenilworth so the flaps are closer together as if it was a balamoral...was this the correct thing to do tho? Is the correct way to adjust a blucher for fit tho? Or should I have gone for an 8.5E (I can still return them)?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm...I have that problem too I think. I have the strands in 9E which fit great, but my kenilworths in 9E seem a little loose and longer length wise (because the blucher lacing system "gives away" more due to more spacing between the flaps vs a balamoral). I correct this by adjusting my laces on my kenilworth so the flaps are closer together as if it was a balamoral...was this the correct thing to do tho? Is the correct way to adjust a blucher for fit tho? Or should I have gone for an 8.5E (I can still return them)?

Many folks have slightly different size feet and make small lacing adjustments to each shoe. What you are doing is relatively common. You'll have to make the call however as changing the tension on laces can't make up for an ill-fitting shoe.

As I've said before, I have never been able to make a too-small shoe work. I always end up getting rid of them in the end. If I'm between sizes, I always opt for the larger size and adjust fit with an insole, thicker socks or heel/tongue pads.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They had a 2 for $300 sale about 3 months ago I think. I'm so angry I didn't get a chance to pick some strands up. Waiting for the next sale...

Yea stupid me wasn't thinking...so I could have bought strands and something else for less than the original price of strands? FML

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
So would people in general say that a good fitting 5-6 eyelet balamor will always feel more snug vs a good fitting 3 eyelet blucher just due to the nature of less eyelets and flap styles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads