• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

454Casull

Reaction score

This may not be the appropriate place, but I figured this thread would definitely be the group who would know. I recently, upon the recommendations of this forum, purchased two pair of AE Park Aves, one in black and one in merlot. I'm in the slow process of building a young(ish) professional wardrobe, and these are my first pair of real dress shoes. 

I went to my local AE store and was sized. We initially arrived at a 10.5C, but that felt just a little loose and I was concerned about leather stretching. We then tried a 10.5B which seemed to fit like a glove in the store (black). I've only worn the merlot pair out once since purchasing, and for a few hours around the house. After a day of wearing them, my feet hurt so bad, especially my pinky toes, that I could barely walk. Now, I notice an uncomfortable pressure on the outside ball of my foot and my pinky toe as soon as I put the shoes on. I've noticed a slight difference in where the pressure is between each pair, but neither is comfortable. 

I contacted the AE store, and they assured me that this was normal. However, they offered, if I would wear them around the house a few more evenings, to first attempt to stretch the shoes, and then exchange them if I am not happy. Basically, I'm hoping if someone can give me an tips for how they should feel. Is it normal for them to be this uncomfortable while breaking them in? If I put them on and then sit in a chair, I am definitely aware of pressure on my feet. I'm really like a lot of AE shoes and am more than willing to go through the discomfort of breaking them in, but if this is not normal and indicates the wrong size, I'd rather get them exchanged sooner rather than later. 

Could be the ball length is off. Take the shoe in your hands and bend the toe upward as if you were stepping off in your gait. Does the point on the outsole with the greatest bend, looking from the lateral side, match the metatarsophalangeal articulation of your pinky toe? i.e. does the pinky joint on the ball of your foot sit inside the natural bend of the shoe?

If the ball length of the shoe is too great, your pinky toe will get crushed. Perhaps a wider, shorter shoe is in order. IMO ball length fit is much more important than toe/foot length fit.

Last edited:

Khurram

Reaction score
Has the Amok been redone?
I remember when it first came out the actual colors in the store when I saw them were very dirty looking and pretty horrible all around.
I was just in there today and saw three Amok's again but they all looked really good. There was no more intentional distressing on them and they looked super clean.

They actually look just like they do on their website now
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1134_1_40000000001_-1

easy_golfing

Reaction score

Has the Amok been redone?
I remember when it first came out the actual colors in the store when I saw them were very dirty looking and pretty horrible all around.
I was just in there today and saw three Amok's again but they all looked really good. There was no more intentional distressing on them and they looked super clean.
They actually look just like they do on their website now
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1134_1_40000000001_-1

wow, if they look like that in person, those are sweet

lithdoc

Reaction score

wow, if they look like that in person, those are sweet

They do look like this on purpose. However, there is a reason why they are $250 and not the now-current regular price of $335. They are not lined, just a single layer of leather inside. Cheap glued sole too. I was going to get them, but then I saw a pair in the AE store in Troy and changed my mind. I'll wait and see what spring collection has to offer.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole is glued? Are you sure? And the absence of the liner is part of the "unconstructed" style, like the Neumok. In suede, I imagine the interior would be pretty comfy. But probably not for everyone.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

The sole is glued?  Are you sure?  And the absence of the liner is part of the "unconstructed" style, like the Neumok.  In suede, I imagine the interior would be pretty comfy. But probably not for everyone. 

They are not glued: "360 degree Goodyear welted construction (learn about our 212 steps of Craftsmanship)"

soxpats

Reaction score

They are not glued: "360 degree Goodyear welted construction (learn about our 212 steps of Craftsmanship)"

I bought two pair from the Freeport store one in olive and one in the color that looks like the toe portion is dirty. Only paid $64.00 because of the $35.00 shoe donation deal they are running (they were only $99.00) to start with and I love them. They are comfortable and great looking.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea stupid me wasn't thinking...so I could have bought strands and something else for less than the original price of strands? FML

No, not anything less than the original price. They gave about six shoes for you to choose from. You can mix and match. Strands were one of the six. I think Fifth Aves were another.

JBjunior

Reaction score
I just recently got my first pair of AEs and went with the Kenilworth. I went and tried on various sizes and went with a 9D. They fit amazing, as far as comfort, and I wore them for a few hours with no issues. Right around the ankle, if I look down at them while walking and pull my pant leg up slightly, I can see a bulge of the leather as I press down on my heel. Like the soft leather in that area flexes in and out because my ankle area is more narrow than the top of the shoe. It is only cosmetic as it doesn't slip around, is anyone familiar with that? I am going to order a different pair on the five last and just want to make sure that I don't need to go narrower, though I worry that narrower will fit differently everywhere else and not be as comfortable.

I ordered some heel/ankle insert things online that will be here in a few days and will fill that void, I hope, although it is only cosmetic.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just recently got my first pair of AEs and went with the Kenilworth. I went and tried on various sizes and went with a 9D. They fit amazing, as far as comfort, and I wore them for a few hours with no issues. Right around the ankle, if I look down at them while walking and pull my pant leg up slightly, I can see a bulge of the leather as I press down on my heel. Like the soft leather in that area flexes in and out because my ankle area is more narrow than the top of the shoe. It is only cosmetic as it doesn't slip around, is anyone familiar with that? I am going to order a different pair on the five last and just want to make sure that I don't need to go narrower, though I worry that narrower will fit differently everywhere else and not be as comfortable.
I ordered some heel/ankle insert things online that will be here in a few days and will fill that void, I hope, although it is only cosmetic.

I don't think what's happening with your shoe is related to your anatomy. I've seen 0 photos of shoes that aren't AE with that "feature" post online. It seems like 20% or more of the AE photos show some amount of that.

easy_golfing

Reaction score

I don't think what's happening with your shoe is related to your anatomy. I've seen 0 photos of shoes that aren't AE with that "feature" post online. It seems like 20% or more of the AE photos show some amount of that.

also, if i understand the problem correctly, flat feet/ overpronation contribute to this. i happen to have the same issue with all of my shoes...

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Malvern pebble grain in 11B from the store as they had it in stock and I thought I'd at least think about it... then I returned it as I wanted the burnished and it felt a little small. So I ordered a pair of Tricker's, however, they are wide for my narrow feet and a little bulbous. So I just ordered the 11.5B in burnished. I can always return these as well. What alternatives do I have for sub $400 with narrow feet? Allen Edmonds has a near monopoly on me because of my narrow feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads