• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Score from Alden Irregular:

Nice. Really like the contrasting stitching.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be traveling to boston next month for work, and I am thinking about getting my first pair of boots on the modified last. However, I am wondering if a boot negates the advantages of the heel contours on modified last shoes (i.e. the inside heel side being cut higher than the outside heel, which for some reason I find very comfortable). Would like to hear what you guys think about that.

luzer

Reaction score

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to boston next month for work, and I am thinking about getting my first pair of boots on the modified last. However, I am wondering if a boot negates the advantages of the heel contours on modified last shoes (i.e. the inside heel side being cut higher than the outside heel, which for some reason I find very comfortable). Would like to hear what you guys think about that.

where in boston are you going?

luzer

Reaction score
current Alden Modified collection,
Top to Bottom, Left to Right
[cross-posted on alden modified and alden threads]
1) Quoddy Kennebec Chukka, Blue, Red Sole
2) Quoddy Boat Moc Cavalier, Blue, Red Vibram Sole
3) Alden #55909 Perforated Cap Toe, Black Calfskin, Modified Last (The Shoe Mart 2nds)
4) Alden #1493 Unlined Chukka, Snuff Suede, Leydon Last
5) Alden #5404 Calfskin Medallion, Burnished Tan, Modified Last (@mouldedshoe)
6) Alden #58722 Brown Alpine Calfskin Long Wing Tip (@mouldedshoe)
7) Alden #41852 Cap toe Boot, Shell Cordovan, Color #8, Modified Last (@mouldedshoe)
8) Alden #41144 Indy Boot, Natural CXL, Modified Last (@mouldedshoe)
9) Alden #41665h Wing Tip Boot, Brown Chromexcel, Modified Last (@mouldedshoe- go down 1/2 size)
full album

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used a credit I had with Moulded on the 41665H brown CXL WT boot. They fit spot on and were incredibly comfortable right out of the box (as opposed to some Vibergs that arrived on the same day which will need some breaking in). I really like these boots but the natural welt is still kind of "glaring" to me still. I think I would have preferred an antique welt. But they'll darken with a bit of wear so I'm not too concerned.

Enjoy your collection!

Last edited:

zzdocxx

Reaction score
Mr. Luzer,

Just curious about the Quoddys. So Alden makes, or has made in the past, modified last shoes for them ?

How do I learn more about this ?

Thanks !

BTW I see that New Balance (also sold by Moulded) has a similar last, the SL-2, and that they have some boat shoe models now.

Also, are those special shoe trees that you use for the ML ? Or just regular Alden shoe trees.

I am new to this but have 4 pair so far. One black split-toe acquired from Sleepy in SF, another black long wing pre-owned from ebay, one brown long wing from Boston Pedorthic (closeout), and a black cap toe from Moulded. Nothing fancy like suede or boots though. And I'm in San Diego so the climate doesn't make a boot particularly essential.

OK that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Now about those Quoddys .

Last edited:

Xancatrius

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Alden's Modified Last is so comfortable? Was it made with a certain foot profile in mind?

I'm flatfooted/pronated feet, do you think Modififed Last would help?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads