• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy Boot

petr

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Alden Indy boots.

They came it and I have been looking them over for two days.

These are not what I expected. I know some guys love these boots, but these are WORK BOOTS. They are not anything other than work boots. If they did not cost so much I would use them for plumbing. Which they would be great for.

This is one of those proof positive moments when I realized I have been reading too much online banter.

They are made incredibly well, no doubt they are high quality. Maybe a little rough on the finishing, but wow they are top notch.

I am wondering how you guys wear them? I mean for when it rains or snows and you don't want to foul up your good shoes. I don't even see how they would work for that because they do after all look like construction boots.

This is my fault for trying to romanticize these great boots and make them something that they are not, which is a casual shoe. Costly mistake, but I bet none of you guys have made those before either.

Thoughts?

minimal

Reaction score
The straight Indy boot (not the shell or special makeup) look very much like work boots.

They have a few details which make them not *exactly* workboots: a stacked leather heel, a composite sole material, and good leather.

But that's it. Nothing more. I wear them with nice jeans, or with nice pants of a coarse fabric. People who are into shoes sometimes notice they are a little different, but to anyone else they appear ordinary.

And that's why they are so good.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
Of course they are workboots. What did you expect them to be?

For the price, he probably expected something a little dressier (although pictures don't lie). After all, the boot is a real poser; who buys Alden Indys and actually does construction work in them? I'm sure a few guys here actually use their boots, but most would walk the other way if they saw mud.

sanrensho

Reaction score
Did you see "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? That is exactly what these boots are used for. Duh!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
actually I had a conversation about this with one of the Alden DC salesmen, and he told me the majority of people who buy the indys use them for work - construction workers, firemen (who apparently are the biggest customers), plumbers, etc

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Sometimes I wear mine on an 8 mile hike...
dustyIndys.jpg

They work great for that and so many other things. Comfortable... not in a squishy way, but in a sturdy, supportive way.
I don't have any other shoes that I can go for a hike, go to work, school or out to dinner in.
Not for everyone I guess.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Great pic. Too many people around here forget what shoes are actually for!

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn mine to ****. They've incredibly comfortable, although it did take me about a week to wear them in.

This is after six months:
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

They look a little rougher now.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haven't you seen one before you bought your pair? of course they're casual/work boots... I think the bigger mystery is why would the OP think it otherwise?

QTime

Reaction score
Hello Petr,

may I ask which size your Indys have? Maybe it´s 10,5 D/E ? I´d love to have them - just give me a pm if you´d feel like selling them.
Besides that - they are #8 shell cordovan? Could you tell me where you bought them? I´am looking for a pair for quiet a long time now, but without success..

Regards,
Simon
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads