• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alcohol capacity

BareSolid

Reaction score
So I can hang with the rugby lads.

Yeah volume, generally. If we start drinking at 7 and have 2 pints an hour that's already 10 pints by midnight, then I'm full and have to move on to the gin.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, one's my limit if I'm driving, two is the upper end for longer engagements, and I'm usually handing over the keys or walking after that. Anything more than that requires a special occasion.

The good news is that my bourbon closet should be largely intact for a long, long time.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I wish my capacity was lower. Drinking would be hella lot cheaper.

K

+a lot...

just drink more often, and plenty of it... beware though, the hangovers can get "WTF did I do last night and why do I keep doing this to myself, is there nothing that will make this feeling go away??" evil..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
So I can hang with the rugby lads.

Yeah volume, generally. If we start drinking at 7 and have 2 pints an hour that's already 10 pints by midnight, then I'm full and have to move on to the gin.

and that's where the hangovers come from.....

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The correct answer is eat a huge meal before you start drinking. A little while ago, I got takeout from a soul food restaurant, not knowing that the meal feeds one glutton and two normal people. I ate the entire thing and it sat in my stomach like a lead weight the entire evening. I couldn't even get a buzz from multiple drinks.

theincumbent

Reaction score
^ + million.

If you are drinking gin after a night of drinking beer: you are doing it wrong.

Also, gin is supposedly the most difficult of alcohol for your liver to handle. If I remember
correctly it has something to do with the botanical used in distillation. So it might be the
gin causing a bad hangover.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
+a lot...

just drink more often, and plenty of it... beware though, the hangovers can get "WTF did I do last night and why do I keep doing this to myself, is there nothing that will make this feeling go away??" evil..

If a vaasje is €2.20 and a jagermeister is €2.30, how would I regularly spend over €100 drinking in my neighborhood?

And thats only drinking the cheap stuff. Go to the cocktail bar or club or get on the wine and its ugly.

A question which arose many Sunday mornings.

K

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
^ + million.

If you are drinking gin after a night of drinking beer: you are doing it wrong.

Also, gin is supposedly the most difficult of alcohol for your liver to handle. If I remember
correctly it has something to do with the botanical used in distillation. So it might be the
gin causing a bad hangover.

Yes,

A friend who has a doctor father told me this as well. Both of us love gin, but have decided to ease up on it b/c we are heavy drinkers and wan't to tone things down where possible.

Nice avatar, BTW

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A previous poster mentioned this, but you're not increasing your capacity, just your tolerance. If you drink more, you're becoming more intoxicated, no matter how much your brain adapts.

That's the warning.

Now, if your goal is "drinking with the rugby buddies," as you mentioned before, then do what my Belgian friend does for his party trick of having pint-chugging races: Use your finger in the back of the throat. Keep emptying your stomach, you're free to drink as much as you want. Gross, but it'll serve your purposes.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Now, if your goal is "drinking with the rugby buddies," as you mentioned before, then do what my Belgian friend does for his party trick of having pint-chugging races: Use your finger in the back of the throat. Keep emptying your stomach, you're free to drink as much as you want. Gross, but it'll serve your purposes.

I find that very unmanly. I also think it would be very insulting to whoever had prepared my dinner and whoever had paid for it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love beer. I love gin. I can drink beer all night and not get hungover. I can drink gin and soda all night and not get hungover. However, once I start mixing the two, perhaps throw a glass of wine/champagne in the picture as well, I'm dead the next day.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you seek the aquaintance of rugby boys unless you are on the team?

If you get to your comfortable limit you could stand up and propose some annoying drinking game where you have to drink pints of each others vomit through soiled y fronts or whatever it is rugby players like to do. You can then splutter and spill any further beers you don't have room for.

I haven't found myself in a social situation where drinking more than 6 pints was required in a long time. 12 pints is more than enough for a session anyway, even if you are as I assume in your teens or early 20s.

The traditional measure of 'gallon status' for being as drunk as anyone could need to be and 'one over the 8' for being incapacitated through drink still stands as a reasonable yardstick.

tricota

Reaction score
I have always been able to drink a lot, which I asume comes from my father, who is the same way. I can still today, at 32, from time to time drink a bottle of spirits at night and fell somewhat normal the next day, well, normal enough to go to work and meet my obligations...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads