• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alcohol capacity

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yawn

Lets go back to talking about how much booze we can drink?

This weekend I basically continuously consumed beer from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. It included dinners, openings of new bars, late nights in old bars, badass markets, live music, old friends I hadnt seen in years, good movie, mediocre foods, and a whole lot of cold cold lager. There were a couple of glasses of water, but mainly to rehydrate between beers. There were also some shots, but let's not talk about those.

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Gastric ADH has a minimal effect. Hepatic ADH and other hepatic enzymes do the heavy lifting.
You are probably correct. However, research has shown the major difference, major mind you, not minimal, in why men, on average, can drink more than women, is gastric ADH: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2006-mchi/3271.html I remember reading some other stuff on some genetic marker that has one produce more (or less) gastric ADH and this greatly affects ETOH capacity. /shrug.
Originally Posted by apropos
- Alcohol does not act at the kidney to inhibit/antagonise vasopressin, it reduces its release from the pituitary gland.
In what I can remember, you've jumped to the outcome, ignoring the cause. EDIT: sorry VKK, you're right. Let's get back to the OP. I can drink too much. I no longer do though
smile.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You are probably correct. However, research has shown the major difference in why men, on average, can drink more than women, is gastric ADH: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2006-mchi/3271.html I remember reading some other stuff on some genetic marker that has one produce more (or less) gastric ADH and this greatly affects ETOH capacity. /shrug.
Which... doesn't affect the fact that hepatic ADH does most of the heavy lifting, not gastric ADH as you mentioned earlier - "when in fact, it's gastric ADH doing the "first pass" and the heavy lifting".
Originally Posted by Piobaire
In what I can remember, you've jumped to the outcome, ignoring the cause.
Is this an attempt at snark?

If not, I'm not sure what you are going on about - it was an honest attempt at correcting your statement: "ETOH is an antagonist of vasopressin, somewhere in the kidneys".
confused.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
yawn

Lets go back to talking about how much booze we can drink?

This weekend I basically continuously consumed beer from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. It included dinners, openings of new bars, late nights in old bars, badass markets, live music, old friends I hadnt seen in years, good movie, mediocre foods, and a whole lot of cold cold lager. There were a couple of glasses of water, but mainly to rehydrate between beers. There were also some shots, but let's not talk about those.

K

damn. I had a beer and a wine and a cigar at a friend's wedding (Friday night), and that was it for the weekend, excepting some tastes of bourbon infusions.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
damn. I had a beer and a wine and a cigar at a friend's wedding (Friday night), and that was it for the weekend, excepting some tastes of bourbon infusions.

This was like a slow steady burn of a weekend for me. I was pacing myself pretty well, but basically had a full social calender which meant drinking pretty much continuously.

Other weekends I come out of the gate so quick and furious that I burn out by early saturday morning and dont resurface until Monday...

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads