• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Clifton Sole wearing away prematurely?

gilwood

Reaction score
I've literally only worn my AE clifton's about 6 times and near the toe on the left foot is worn down to the threads. However, the right side seems to be perfect. I did have a hard time with that left shoe since it was pinching the top of my left big toe at the knuckle when I was breaking it in. I did get caught in the rain one day (who hasn't this summer?). Is this normal sole wear or should I complain to AE?

Prematurely worn out left sole:
CliftonLeft.jpg

Right side which appears ok, but the front tip is worn away a little funny:
CliftonRightShoe.jpg

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Looks normal to me, I'm sure some podiatrist here will say you have some odd pronation where you walk on the tips of your toes...If it bothers you I'd say get some toe taps.

+1

I have the same issue and I have modified the way I walk so that I am striking more with the heel when I walk

amemovox

Reaction score
You may want your cobbler to add a nylon/rubber toe tap. I have these installed on all my new shoes and it significantly reduces the wear you have experienced.

factorial

Reaction score
I have this effect slightly on my Cliftons, it's because I'm a toe-dragger like you. Install taps if it bothers you.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
I have this effect slightly on my Cliftons, it's because I'm a toe-dragger like you. Install taps if it bothers you.

Wait until the tip wears away a bit more, otherwise adding toe taps changes the strike angle of your toe and will increase flexing in the mid-foot (no big deal, of course, unless you really hate creases).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads