• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Achieving Success. What is your theory of attaining it?

Swag22

Reaction score
I'm a freshman in college, and have always been pretty highly motivated, but have always pondered the proper way of achieving your goals, socially and career-wise. Some argue it comes from how prestigious your education, some argue it's all who you know, and others think it's a thing or 'some people have it, and some don't'.

What is your theory on this matter?

gelassenheit

Reaction score
There is no fail safe theory, it differs greatly in every field.

You can reduce your chance of failure by getting a degree. The more prestigious the school, the more lube on your resume. That's a pretty standard truism.

One word of wisdom I can offer is that starting out, be the person who is prepared to work like an executive for a cleaner's pay, and work it with style. It's adds a wild card dimension and breeds respect.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that I've notice about all very successful people I've met: They are able to innovate.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My theory is you need to define success first. Once you've figured out your goals, plotting the path to those goals becomes a lot easier.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swag22
I'm a freshman in college, and have always been pretty highly motivated, but have always pondered the proper way of achieving your goals, socially and career-wise. Some argue it comes from how prestigious your education, some argue it's all who you know, and others think it's a thing or 'some people have it, and some don't'.

What is your theory on this matter?

Be born to wealthy parents and then marry above your station. I would call this "The Conne Plan" except the part about marrying well is rather absurd.

superfans124

Reaction score
People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents. - Andrew Carnegie

I think self motivation is the fundamental, which according to you, you already have it covered. so just stick to whatever your goal is, keep pushing, make things happen, eventually it will happen.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
set goals for yourself. achieve them. set higher goals for yourself. achieve them. set outrageous goals for yourself.

mase

Reaction score
I found that it takes self motivation to set goals but it will be self discipline that see's you complete them and not give up half way to the finishing line. I think for success you need a good dose of both.

waldenbags

Reaction score
Read Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman and pay close attention to the dialogue and actions of Charlie and his son Bernard. The play is about, among other things, American success. Ben, Willy's older brother, represents another way to at least least financial wealth, ways to which Bernard Madoff and a slew of Fed and Wall Street insiders are no stranger.

Pay attention to Willy, his cheese, his gardening, and his carpentry.

Oh, and if you know where to get the Broadway version with Brian Dennehy as Willy Loman (2000), please let me know.

If you don't read the play, at least watch the film version with either Dustin Hoffman, Lee J. Cobb, or, if you cand find it, Brian Dennehy.

And don't let the "arch supports" kill you. Every single word of this play is manipulated with surgical precision.

hws

Reaction score
"Doing two chicks at the same time!"
wink.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not having bouts of IBS when the bills roll in on the 1st of the month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads