• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, I prefer half Windsor vs 4IH (I stated why earlier in the thread). Also, I prefer no dimples, and I know this is against CM tastes of the vast majority. I am fully aware of this when I post tie pics. I figure I would give other admirers, old and new, IRL pics since all the previous pics starting on page 1 has helped me select my Hober ties.

I also believe if we surveyed the masses that know nothing about CM rules, I believe the majority wouldn’t be vast or possibly the majority in preference of 4IH. Yes, I know this is a very debatable statement, especially on SF.

Now I may copy and paste this post for future reference of gentlemen that attempt to persuade the eye of the beholder.

It’s been almost 20 years of wearing ties, and I still prefer the knot below vs the knot I posted just previously.

View attachment 1843173

I'm a longtime tie wearer as well and I also prefer the Half Windsor knot and other ones over the (too) simple Four In Hand. The advantage is to have a more voluminous presence, which better suits an open collar (almost the totality on my shirts). Of course you would need a slim knot, if you have a quite close collar instead. I prefer two side dimples, but, agree, no dimple looks better on the HW than one dimple.

Furthermore, a more complex knot has the advantage to shorten the tie, avoiding the excesses in the length too often seen these days.

Last edited:

Verve

Reaction score
I'm a longtime tie wearer as well and I also prefer the Half Windsor knot and other ones over the (too) simple Four In Hand. The advantage is to have a more voluminous presence, which better suits an open collar (almost the totality on my shirts). Of course you would need a slim knot, if you have a quite close collar instead. I prefer two side dimples, but, agree, no dimple looks better on the HW than one dimple.

Furthermore, a more complex knot has the advantage to shorten the tie, avoiding the excesses in the length too often seen these days.
Agreed on all your points.

Proportions is yet another reason for my stated preference. I have a larger than average chest, arms, legs, head, etc. IMO, small knots don’t look good on “bigger” guys and vice versa.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trust you, but I don't have any. I joined this thead as I haven't seen a general one about ties.

I will probably give Sam Hober a try.
They are great and made to Your perfect length. David will help you with that if you need it

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trust you, but I don't have any. I joined this thead as I haven't seen a general one about ties.

I will probably give Sam Hober a try.

As someone only 5'7" tall I get a 55cm length tie. It works perfectly for a four-in-hand knot. I followed Hober's measuring advice the first time and it falls exactly where I want it to on my belt line. I have experimented with different widths, though, not that significantly. Never any need to do tricks with the knot or back to get the right length.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another point I would like to make is about the tie width: nowadays the most ones are ridiculously slim. I certainly prefer wide ties, 9,5/10cm (3,75/3,95inch roughly), but I think one should go at least for 9cm (3,55inch).
I think that a wide tie is noticeably more flattering and suits the wide lapels I love.

Verve

Reaction score
I’d like to think I’m approximately in the middle of the road with my lapels and tie widths. I started at 3.675 inch tie width. With my recent order, I lowered it to 9.0 cm width, but with today’s standards seems large, but in 10-20 years, it will seem small.

In 50 years, when my great grandkids are looking at pics of me, it will look timeless and not extremely skinny or wide.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I’d like to think I’m approximately in the middle of the road with my lapels and tie widths. I started at 3.675 inch tie width. With my recent order, I lowered it to 9.0 cm width, but with today’s standards seems large, but in 10-20 years, it will seem small.

In 50 years, when my great grandkids are looking at pics of me, it will look timeless and not extremely skinny or wide.

Lol. I don't know which is more ridiculous: that you'll be able to tell the difference between a 3.675 inch and 3.543 inch tie, or that your great grandkids will care.

My lord, SF is full of mentally ill people these days and it's sad.

Verve

Reaction score
Lol. I don't know which is more ridiculous: that you'll be able to tell the difference between a 3.675 inch and 3.543 inch tie, or that your great grandkids will care.

Here comes my favorite Captain “.” I wish I had a time machine to save you from all those childhood and adulthood bullying you’ve gone through. 😉

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, if you don't care about, it's fine, being offensive towards others who don't share your opinion is not.

You can't believe how just 1 centimetre will change the look of the tie.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, if you don't care about, it's fine, being offensive towards others who don't share your opinion is not.

You can't believe how just 1 centimetre will change the look of the tie.

Sure, 1 cm makes a noticeable difference. But we're not talking about 1cm here, lol. We're talking about .3 cm, which is approximately the tolerance Hober makes ties to.

"We have an approximately 1/4 inch in length and 1/8 inch in width variance in your finished tie." https://www.samhober.com/a/policies/

But by all means, let the person think they are making a generationally impactful, profound, and lifechanging decision for their heirs by changing their custom tie width by .3 cm.

Perspective, people. :rolleyes:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads