• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A positive Vass experience (now with pics!)

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
It's good that your associate had a good experience at their store. When I was there, I found the experience terrible and left without buying a thing.

+1

The sales staff there was rude and unhelpful.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
+1

The sales staff there was rude and unhelpful.

consider that they have a total different mentality and i say this as a native austrian, who had some "special" experiences. like everything in life, it takes some time...

generally speaking, what comes over as rude, is just normal for them.

same to "kaffeehaus" waiters in vienna. it's a special charme you like or you don't like.

asian and american people are used to a very amiable service. that's good, but money rules not everywhere.

"you" are all guests in a foreigng country, so behave like you learned it, not?

ps: i am really tired reading about the "poor" experiences at the vass-store. more contemplation, please.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
consider that they have a total different mentality and i say this as a native austrian, who had some "special" experiences. like everything in life, it takes some time... generally speaking, what comes over as rude, is just normal for them. same to "kaffeehaus" waiters in vienna. it's a special charme you like or you don't like. asian and american people are used to a very amiable service. that's good, but money rules not everywhere. "you" are all guests in a foreigng country, so behave like you learned it, not? ps: i am really tired reading about the "poor" experiences at the vass-store. more contemplation, please.
Not sure what you're on about there, but I had a fantastic time in Vienna and found the service there to be top-notch. I travel between Los Angeles, Hong Kong and Tokyo quite often. I have also shopped in England, France, Austria and Italy. I'm not shy to say that I have experienced a full spectrum of service attitudes. Like you said, most of these differences lie in their regional culture. Yet, there are some attitudes that are universally rude, like throwing a pair of shoes in front of me and asking if I'm actually going to buy anything. As well as loudly pronouncing that it was not her problem when I muttered to myself that the shoes seemed a bit loose.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
consider that they have a total different mentality and i say this as a native austrian, who had some "special" experiences. like everything in life, it takes some time... generally speaking, what comes over as rude, is just normal for them. same to "kaffeehaus" waiters in vienna. it's a special charme you like or you don't like. asian and american people are used to a very amiable service. that's good, but money rules not everywhere. "you" are all guests in a foreigng country, so behave like you learned it, not? ps: i am really tired reading about the "poor" experiences at the vass-store. more contemplation, please.
rolleyes.gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Not sure what you're on about there, but I had a fantastic time in Vienna and found the service there to be top-notch.

I travel between Los Angeles, Hong Kong and Tokyo quite often. I have also shopped in England, France, Austria and Italy. I'm not shy to say that I have experienced a full spectrum of service attitudes. Like you said, most of these differences lie in their regional culture. Yet, there are some attitudes that are universally rude, like throwing a pair of shoes in front of me and asking if I'm actually going to buy anything. As well as loudly pronouncing that it was not her problem when I muttered to myself that the shoes seemed a bit loose.

and their quality has dipped significantly since... When will Marcell just take over the budapest shoe market and get the praise he deserves?

HTom

Reaction score
I wonder how people here choose a middleman at all if Vass has an own website, e-mail, phone and the daughter of Mr. László Vass, Mrs. Éva Vass speaks English.

I met Mr. Vass once at his shop and we had a short talk. He is a respectable man, art collector and a good shoemaker.

I am a Hungarian living in Budapest and purchased several of Vass' RTW models. Central European lasts for my Central European feet, nothing sort of U and F Shoe Appreciation. I also lusted for those but the lady told honestly and with a smile that they would not fit. I tried it and she was right.

The Vass personal knows me by name, they are polite each time I visit That being said I bought already several pairs. But they were nice and cheerful even when I just lurked. One lady actually gave me a catalogue 10 years ago so I got acquainted with their terminology, products, world.

Whenever I saw foreign clients while shopping they were served with attention, the staff speaks languages. Yes they are not pushing people to any of the shoes as many seemed to be hesitant. I have the feel that they expect mature buyers with an idea in their mind, the show window is there for peeping. The Vass shop is famous, they know it and also that people who come in know what they are looking for.

We have a saying: good wine doesn't need a logo - meaning good things speak for themselves. How otherwise all the threads and the discussions about them if they weren't good?

Vass shoes cost a lot, even without the cheerful middlemen's premiums put on them and one can admit the reluctance to spend it but nobody should talk about Vass being mediocre quality. That is unfair. They work namely a lot on each and every of them. And they are upset with jokers trying to bargain etc.

My fist name also translates to Tom and I could also offer to be a middleman and put on redlight district avatars - but I don't.
Since one can NOT decide what feel the client would like. Taking measurements and sending lasts back and forth is inevitably more difficult than to try on a shoe and see how it fits. This is why I am reluctant to get into this middleman biz and to loose face with screwed up 600 USD orders.

The essence of MTM shoes is that the measures are taken by the actual shoemaker who than makes the shoes or who controls the production like Vass does, since he can not make 3000 pairs per year. That is done by his crew. Like with all other world famous cobblers.

Cornellian

Reaction score
consider that they have a total different mentality and i say this as a native austrian, who had some "special" experiences. like everything in life, it takes some time...

generally speaking, what comes over as rude, is just normal for them.

same to "kaffeehaus" waiters in vienna. it's a special charme you like or you don't like.

asian and american people are used to a very amiable service. that's good, but money rules not everywhere.

"you" are all guests in a foreigng country, so behave like you learned it, not?

ps: i am really tired reading about the "poor" experiences at the vass-store. more contemplation, please.

Fritzl, don't be so hard on your fellow Austrians! I've never had a problem with service in Vienna (or strangers on the street for that matter).

I have written about my **** experience with Vass before, so I won't beat the horse too long...

I've always found Hungarian people to be very outgoing and friendly, and I can say this after living in Slovakia for 2 years, which has a sizable Hungarian population (the contrast between Hungarians and Slovaks is noteworthy). Furthermore, throughout my trips to Budapest, I have found that the Hungarian people are very open to foreigners, and I have never been greeted with anything but respect and enthusiasm/genuine interest. I think that's why I had the shock that I did when I went to Vass. Eva is friendly, but the other women are not. But it wasn't their lack of smiles that got me... they were just not interested in helping me. I tried on shoes, asking questions about fit, and it was as if 1) they couldn't be bothered, or 2) had no idea what I was talking about. In either case, Lazlo Vass must realize (by now) that he has an international clientele, and that he has to adjust his approach to sales accordingly.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Fritzl, don't be so hard on your fellow Austrians! I've never had a problem with service in Vienna (or strangers on the street for that matter).

I have written about my **** experience with Vass before, so I won't beat the horse too long...

I've always found Hungarian people to be very outgoing and friendly, and I can say this after living in Slovakia for 2 years, which has a sizable Hungarian population (the contrast between Hungarians and Slovaks is noteworthy). Furthermore, throughout my trips to Budapest, I have found that the Hungarian people are very open to foreigners, and I have never been greeted with anything but respect and enthusiasm/genuine interest. I think that's why I had the shock that I did when I went to Vass. Eva is friendly, but the other women are not. But it wasn't their lack of smiles that got me... they were just not interested in helping me. I tried on shoes, asking questions about fit, and it was as if 1) they couldn't be bothered, or 2) had no idea what I was talking about. In either case, Lazlo Vass must realize (by now) that he has an international clientele, and that he has to adjust his approach to sales accordingly.

Lazlo Vass doesnt HAVE to adjust his approach to sales accordingly, but SHOULD.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Fritzl, don't be so hard on your fellow Austrians!

i'm not hard on them.

btw, i'm glad that the real discussion started after my post. that's great.

...and there's a famous quote here: how you shout out into the woods, it will return.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went on a weekday afternoon in January 2009, and had a highly satisfactory visit. The purchased goods were shipped correctly, and arrived within a few weeks.

Now, I do get more pleasure from my pair of Koronyas, but I'd thoroughly expect my next pairs of Vass to be perfectly adequate for the $$.

Guero

Reaction score
So, again, not meaning to have initiated a debate on the service habits of Austro-Hungarian cobblers, the pics . . . (Old English on the left, Budapest Oxford on the right):

vassjashoes.jpg

vass1.jpg

vass2.jpg

vass3.jpg

Special thanks to fellow Houstonian TC, not just an iGent but a real gent, for help with the pics.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HTom
I wonder how people here choose a middleman at all if Vass has an own website, e-mail, phone and the daughter of Mr. László Vass, Mrs. Éva Vass speaks English.

I met Mr. Vass once at his shop and we had a short talk. He is a respectable man, art collector and a good shoemaker.

I am a Hungarian living in Budapest and purchased several of Vass' RTW models. Central European lasts for my Central European feet, nothing sort of U and F Shoe Appreciation. I also lusted for those but the lady told honestly and with a smile that they would not fit. I tried it and she was right.

The Vass personal knows me by name, they are polite each time I visit That being said I bought already several pairs. But they were nice and cheerful even when I just lurked. One lady actually gave me a catalogue 10 years ago so I got acquainted with their terminology, products, world.

Whenever I saw foreign clients while shopping they were served with attention, the staff speaks languages. Yes they are not pushing people to any of the shoes as many seemed to be hesitant. I have the feel that they expect mature buyers with an idea in their mind, the show window is there for peeping. The Vass shop is famous, they know it and also that people who come in know what they are looking for.

We have a saying: good wine doesn't need a logo - meaning good things speak for themselves. How otherwise all the threads and the discussions about them if they weren't good?

Vass shoes cost a lot, even without the cheerful middlemen's premiums put on them and one can admit the reluctance to spend it but nobody should talk about Vass being mediocre quality. That is unfair. They work namely a lot on each and every of them. And they are upset with jokers trying to bargain etc.

My fist name also translates to Tom and I could also offer to be a middleman and put on redlight district avatars - but I don't.
Since one can NOT decide what feel the client would like. Taking measurements and sending lasts back and forth is inevitably more difficult than to try on a shoe and see how it fits. This is why I am reluctant to get into this middleman biz and to loose face with screwed up 600 USD orders.

The essence of MTM shoes is that the measures are taken by the actual shoemaker who than makes the shoes or who controls the production like Vass does, since he can not make 3000 pairs per year. That is done by his crew. Like with all other world famous cobblers.

+1

hope to see picturses of your shoes here on sf. it was already a pleasure to see them in the fl.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
all the QC stuff listed on the here. I cant rehash everything, sorry.

The only problems I've heard of were problems with orders being filled incorrectly. Nothing about the actual quality of the product though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads