• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Brush Crisis.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am considering buying a second high-grade brush and have determined the choice between Plisson and Simpson's. However, I cannot decide and perusing the various shaving forums has not really aided in any way. Plisson is French, and some have likened it to the 'Maserati' of brushes; Simpson's is British and is rather like a Bristol--arcane and expensive and possibly subject to the characteristic British quality issues.
antiquebrasshandlebrush.jpg
I find the Simpson brushes to have a more attractive handle while the Plissons have a pretty metal handled one though it might take 8 weeks to order one in.
ch3-773467.jpg

mano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a Vulfix Super Badger now which is quite nice but I want that luxury factor.

Sorry that you missed the Badger and Blade Limited Edition finest Silvertip I was selling here a few months ago. Go onto B&B and post a WTB and no doubt you'll get some offers. It's a very luxurious brush that's dense and has some backbone.

mano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I understand that it also has a real horn handle? How heavy is the handle?
Faux horn or faux ebony with a chrome bottom plate (the chrome is supposed to be the same as used on Bentley or Rolls Royce grills
laugh.gif
). The aficionados over on B&B say real horn or any natural material is likely to wear and crack and based on the few photos I've seen, they're right. I have the ebony Finest and horn regular silvertips. Both are gorgeous and have a nice heft to them. The bristles on the Finest Silvertip are the same as the expensive muhle brush here: http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/mednoca.html Here are reviews of the brush: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...869#post170869 Here's a pic of the one I sold: http://www.badongo.com/pic/576185

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get both. Use teh Major travel set until the Plisson arrives, then use the Major for travel as it is looks airport friendly. I like the looks of the Plisson with the blonde bristles...well, I don't know if they have a term for the bristle colors or not.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got an email back from one of only two North American Plisson retailers: the one I want will take 8 weeks to order.

So your suggestion of getting both isn't too far off. They do have names for the bristle colors; there's a whole lot of controversy about it too with "two bands" and "three bands" and other arcane details.

I believe the blonde one is a European white--or grey--which is their second tier grade. The highest is something called High Mountain White.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing items like this makes me want them. My two dollar gillette shave gel, applied by hand is even more rediculous now.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Seeing items like this makes me want them. My two dollar gillette shave gel, applied by hand is even more rediculous now.
Gilette gels and their ilk are all cheap scams. A high quality brush and cream are cheaper in the long run not to mention much more enjoyable. On that topic, cartridge razors are a marketing plot as well. Here's a razor of mine--stock photo, however--
dd1.jpg

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector

Something sounds very masculine and invigorating about shaving with a straight razor, which I've never done.

There is something invigorating (and oddly relaxing) about starting your day with a straight razor shave. You get to replace a mindless chore with something that requires you wake up and pay attention.

My personal favorite razor is the Feather Artist Club. I like it because I get a straight razor experience without the hassle of stropping and honing. Some folks like the ritual, but I just don't have the time. Read the following review:

http://www.shaveblog.com/2005/05/scary-razor.html

I don't find this razor quite as scary as the reviewer, but I agree that it is the sharpest razor I've ever used. On the plus side, unlike a traditional straight razor, there is a limit on how deep you can cut yourself.
cry.gif

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, the stickers come off Simpsons brushes very easily. I don't know if that sort of thing would bother you. Performance wise, i think i recall reading that the Polo II is one of the best "all round" brushes. I ended up getting Rooney 1 medium, in super, one grade down from their exhorbitantly priced "Rooney's finest". One year of use and no problems to date.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have not yet surveyed Shavemac, I have one of their brushes and have difficulty parting with it, even to leave for work.

I took up the straight a few weeks ago and enjoy it immensely. At this point I have two razors - one German and one English - and hone and strop both at a time.

I do get a chuckle about the obsession with honing and stropping. I use the same set-up I use for my German wood chisels - a two-grit Japanese waterstone and a scrap of leather with cutting compound. Honing and stropping take 15 minutes, maximum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads