• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
If you're really after it, the previous solution mentioned has been to quote whatever post(s) you're reading, copy the URLs out, then paste them into a browser window.

When the new system comes in, somebody oughtta just copy the whole post and rehost the images. Probably for a number of threads. Just be sure you give credit the originator.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
If you're really after it, the previous solution mentioned has been to quote whatever post(s) you're reading, copy the URLs out, then paste them into a browser window.
I might try a few but to be honest doing that for all the pictures is reminiscent of my Pentium II 15 years ago. Waiting for a picture or web page to load . . . it just takes too long. Time/benefit analysis or maybe I'm just too lazy and tired.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Some Terminology:
Inseam (I) = The inseam is the distance from the crotch to the leg opening
Outseam (O) = The outseam is the entire length of the jeans...measured from the top of the waist...down the side- all the way down to the leg opening
Front Rise (FR) = The front rise is the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband
BackRise (BR) = The back rise is from the crotch seam to the top of waistband in the back
Thigh (Th)= From the crotch seam to the edge of the leg
A (Ankle) (cuff, leg opening)=
Hips = Measure the hips is flat across the base of the zipper
BoC: Bottom of Collar to end of jacket

Ty for clarifying rise. I never knew what it was until now. I thought it had to do with the crotch area but didnt know for certain.

Is a lower rise preferable versus a higher one? I've seen people with high rise's and it looks sort of odd.

Cheers

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Ty for clarifying rise. I never knew what it was until now. I thought it had to do with the crotch area but didnt know for certain.

Is a lower rise preferable versus a higher one? I've seen people with high rise's and it looks sort of odd.

Cheers

I'd say it depends on the kind of look you're looking to cultivate.

either/or

Reaction score
-you forgot the dress shirt/fits (+bump
wink.gif
)

relevant info can be found here:

modern tailor official thread

modern tailor reviews

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good job and great idea.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quarters, as in "open quarters" and "closed quarters" are terms that I have never heard used outside the internet forum. They are not used within the trade or by tailors (except the few iTailors around). So I might suggest that if you went to a tailor and asked for open quarters he may not know what you are talking about.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Quarters, as in "open quarters" and "closed quarters" are terms that I have never heard used outside the internet forum. They are not used within the trade or by tailors (except the few iTailors around). So I might suggest that if you went to a tailor and asked for open quarters he may not know what you are talking about.

I have been hearing tailors say this for 20 years, in London and New York.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you claim the correct terminology is for what we call open and closed quarters?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
So what do you claim the correct terminology is for what we call open and closed quarters?

Unlike something like, say, the gorge, which has a universally-accepted name, few tailors refer to that area as anyting other than the fronts, or the skirt. When we shape the fronts, we may cut them straight, or with more cutaway, or more rounded, etc. It's not impossible that Manton may have heard a tailor or two refer to them as quarters or something else, which is how the term would have crept into forum-speak, but as I said, I had never once heard the term used. My point being that it is far from universally-accepted language.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
I have been hearing tailors say this for 20 years, in London and New York.

Have you been hearing them say 'quarters' for 20 years or have you been hearing tailors say that they haven't ever heard the term 'quarters' for 20 years?

devil.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may or may not be right on this one, but In my defense, this is intended more as a guide to these boards than clothing in general. I've also never heard another term for it.

Srynerson

Reaction score
I vote in favor of "sticky-ing" this thread and hopefully one or more of the mods will be kind enough to occasionally revise/update the OP in response to reader feedback.

Wayward

Reaction score
What about a ranking of the difficulty/price for different tailoring jobs, so that when people buy RTW suits they know what needs to be bang on and what can be altered later? For example, some of the most intensive jobs I know of:

- anything with shoulders
- correcting sleeve pitch
- altering sleeve lengths w/ surgeon's cuffs
- lengthening/shortening jacket

Much easier/cheaper jobs:

- adjusting pants waist or seat
- altering sleeve length without surgeon's cuffs
- reshaping the back of collar to sit flush with your neck

Just off the top of my head. Others care to develop this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads