• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6x1 DBs making a comeback?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drove back from the 2008 SHOT Show yesterday. Although a great many exhibitors and other professionals there have forsaken coat and tie in favor of logo shirts and the like, a sizable number of men there do make some effort to dress well...or trying to, at least.

One thing that I did notice was that a surprising number of men were wearing 6x1 DB suits. I think I saw more 6x1 DBs than I did 6x2s. Are 6x1s enjoying a "surge" in popularity, was this a chance thing, or what? I seem to recall that there are some drawbacks to the 6x1 button placement.

Another thing I noticed was the comparative rarity of pocket squares. There were thousands of men on the floor in suits, coat and tie or sport coats worn with open-necked shirts. However, I doubt if I saw a dozen wearing squares.

Many otherwise fairly decently dressed men foundered on the matter of shoes. I could not descry a single man noticeably better shod than I in my A-Es.

ms244

Reaction score
Nerd
boxing[1].gif

Post pics of the girls and the cool new guns.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Nerd
boxing[1].gif

I am too old to get enthused about the girls and too jaded to find any new firearms terribly "cool."

There was one chap parading his girlfriend around. She was wearing some very low-riding jeans, an extremely skimpy halter/bra, a bling in her belly button and nothing else. It was a bit tacky in a business setting but somewhat redeemed by the fact that the young lady was prime, Grade A eye candy!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I. . . Are 6x1s enjoying a "surge" in popularity, was this a chance thing, or what? I seem to recall that there are some drawbacks to the 6x1 button placement.. . .

I can't say whether a 6 x1 DB configuration is or isn't making a comeback, though I have read that DBs in general may be. Of course, there is no official organ of the fashion industry, so who knows, It might just be based on aninterview dome reporter did with a retailer who bought a lot of DB suits that he still has sitting on his floor.

As for the drawbacks, I don't know what the conventional wisdom is on these, though I believe they were supposed to be elongating. My own experience has been the opposite - I think they make me look shorter. What I do like, on occasion is to button a 6x2 correctly on the inside but to the lower button on the outside. I think this can give a more casual appearance than the more formal appearance of a 6x2 (which is why I like the 6x2 in the first place) without getting too sloppy or making the coat look stumpy.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, first the suit in general would have to make a comeback.

That said, I haven't worn a 6x1 DB in about a decade or so. I much prefer the 6x2 and have two of those at the moment. But around these parts a jacket is a rarity to begin with.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Manton will be by shortly to educate everyone.

If you wish to get a head start, you might try picking up "The Suit," where IIRC he dedicates about a half chapter to a lengthy excoriation of the 6x1 DB.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Nerd
boxing[1].gif

Pics of the specs maybe ?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren featured some 6x1 DB suits fairly recently, I think RLPL a year or so ago. His marketing operation is big enough affect a lot of stylistic choices of buyers right down the clothes food chain. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see a small 6x1 comeback as a result. I don't think I've seen it yet... but perhaps there are a few more DBs in general around recently. Personally, I think on the right suit and right person, it looks great. But not on everyone and not combined with other 80s style features.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads