• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 year old wants to change wardrobe.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re pleated pants: try on pleated and flat front models and see what looks better. If pleats, never, ever more than two. Those accordion like pants from the 90's look horrible.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by buckster13
Magoo, thanks for the direction. You give me a great starting point.

No problem. Remember the answer to all your specific questions can be very difficult. Pleated pants or flat front? Button-down or straight collar? Two-button jacket or three-button jacket? Double-breasted or single-breasted? There is no right answer to any of those, just preferences amongst people. You can look great choosing any of them, or terrible.

But you have to know the fundamentals of fit first before deciding. You can rock $10 pants and a $5 shirt with a $50 jacket and shoes if it fits right, is well cared for, and flatters you. You can look like crap in a $2000 suit and $500 shirt if they don't. Remember clothes, when chosen correctly, are meant to correct your physical deficiencies -- the bulging gut, the stoop, etc. The difficult part is learning how to choose ones that complement you as a person.

Once you have that down, you're in a better place to make decisions about particular pieces of clothing, styles, etc. Until then, you're kind of shooting in the dark and are likely to spend some money that benefits you, and spend some money that doesn't.

norton

Reaction score
I'll second the lands end shirts. I'm very happy with the price and fit of their custom shirts. Their only drawback is the limited fabric choices, but they're great for core solids.

I'm 49 and have been going through a similar experience for the last month or so. I'd suggest concentrating on shoes, quality shoes make an enormous difference. I've been building an Alden collection.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations on the decision to upgrade your wardrobe.

I agree with the suggestion that you post some pictures of your current style and also suggest that you start by doing a great deal of reading on this site.

I would suggest that the basics to emulate the Clooney style include a few good suits, specifically gray and navy. While they don't have to be expensive, you should get them tailored so they fit properly.

The next move would be to pick up some spread collar dress shirts in white and blue. Either barrel or french cuffs would be fine although french will require to also buy at least one pair of cufflinks.

Finally, although I don't hate tassel loafers like some of my fellow forumites, you probably want to get some lace-up dress shoes. Search the threads for styles you like. Allen Edmonds can be found for reasonable prices and are a good basic shoe. More expensive suggestions can be found throughout the forum.

Whatever you do, have fun and welcome to the forum.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No tassle loafers, and will check out L/E shirts. How about some pleated wool pants?

Pleated wool trousers is a go. Leave the "slim fit " stuff for the younger guys. And don't rule out tassle loafers. Alden has a nice brown suede pair.

al-666fs.jpg

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+10,000 on buying quality over quantity. And that doesn't have to mean buying only expensive items. If I had it all to do over again I'd have much less mediocre (in terms of fit, quality and color) stuff in my closet. I know people say this over and over, but I'm not sure how many practice it. It requires patience and discipline.

I also wouldn't dismiss pleated pants. I generally prefer flat front chinos but pleated wool pants. Buy what fits your body, your age and what you want to look like. Just remember that pleated pants don't have to look like a mainsail.

I like and own those tassel loafers too.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
fit comes first.

buckster13

Reaction score
It's starting to take shape here. I love the Alden shoes and those are a great place for me to start. I was also thinking about the spread collar shirts, I have way too many buttondown. I also spent a about an hour reading "what are you wearing now", I'll look into building a basic start. Thanks

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you liked Clooney's looks in the 'Ocean's' movies, go Armani MTM.

Raz

Reaction score
what does MTM refer too? Sorry, fashionwise I'm pretty stupid

Welcome

MTM means

Made-to-measure

"Made-to-measure suits are based on an already existing pattern that is adapted to match the idiosyncrasies of a clients body shape and posture. The process is not as intensive as that adopted for custom suits and again the finish and cut of the suit will be magnificent. A made-to-measure suit usually weighs in at about half the cost of a custom suit."

http://www.toffsworld.com/fashion_de...mens_suits.php - 14k -

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what does MTM refer too? Sorry, fashionwise I'm pretty stupid

No need to apologize. We all have to start somewhere. MTM is short for Made to Measure, where a garment is made for a customer based on their measurements. I would stay away from Armani Made to Measure however as it's going to be absurdly expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads