• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mph57

Reaction score
You found a pair of gems. One of the lost great shoes.
Thanks! I kind of got slightly interested in older shoes three months or so ago when I was looking for a new shoe for work. I showed my wife the Allen Edmond MacNeil. She took one look at the price ($425.00) and said, "I can find that same shoe 'style' for ten bucks down at the thrift store." Twenty minutes later she was back from goodwill with these (see below)...a brand called Florsheim 92604. I asked how much? She said, "$4.20, polish them up and they'll be good to go!" I gave them a wipe and polish and thought it was a nice shoe for under five dollars! At least it was priced a lot better than that MacNeil! Anyway, ever since then, she brings back an older pair of shoes every couple of weeks to re-condition...kinda therapeutic : )

Florsheim 1.jpg

Florsheim 2.JPG

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I kind of got slightly interested in older shoes three months or so ago when I was looking for a new shoe for work. I showed my wife the Allen Edmond MacNeil. She took one look at the price ($425.00) and said, "I can find that same shoe 'style' for ten bucks down at the thrift store." Twenty minutes later she was back from goodwill with these (see below)...a brand called Florsheim 92604. I asked how much? She said, "$4.20, polish them up and they'll be good to go!" I gave them a wipe and polish and thought it was a nice shoe for under five dollars! At least it was priced a lot better than that MacNeil! Anyway, ever since then, she brings back an older pair of shoes every couple of weeks to re-condition...kinda therapeutic : )

View attachment 1011123

View attachment 1011124
Holy cow man. Where is that thrift store? Two great pick ups!

kilowatts

Reaction score

View attachment 1011123

View attachment 1011124

Hi Guys:

Can I borrow your wife for the weekend so she can indoctrinate mine in the wisdom of shoe shopping? Don't trade her in!

kilowatts

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1011123

View attachment 1011124
She's a keeper!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1011123

View attachment 1011124

Great shoes. Great wife. Great to have you join us!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1011123

View attachment 1011124

Welcome to the Style Forum! Tell the wife that she did give you a pair of shoes that are even better than the MacNeils you were looking at. The 92604 is a classic style from Florsheim. Drop by the Vintage thread here and you will soon become addicted to the fine quality of vintage Made in USA shoes. This link will take you to page 1. Post number 1 on that thread features the very same 92604.

mph57

Reaction score
Holy cow man. Where is that thrift store? Two great pick ups!
We live in the Baltimore/D.C. metro area...she loves to "thrift." She knows a ton of stores. She brought these Aldens (they're labeled 9432S) home yesterday. I don't think they're vintage but I thought they were a nice purchase. She said she felt 'guilty' as this was her most expensive shoe purchase yet $17.99.

Alden.JPG

well-kept

Reaction score
We live in the Baltimore/D.C. metro area...she loves to "thrift." She knows a ton of stores. She brought these Aldens (they're labeled 9432S) home yesterday. I don't think they're vintage but I thought they were a nice purchase. She said she felt 'guilty' as this was her most expensive shoe purchase yet $17.99.

View attachment 1011153
You either have a one-in-a-million wife or you are a troll having a great laugh. Either way, nice to see your posts.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1011153

Are these shell??? Wow.

kilowatts

Reaction score

View attachment 1011153

Love those shell PTB's

kilowatts

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden 9432S is a chromexcel leather shoe (not that our new friend claimed otherwise). But I do get the sense we're getting trolled. Now, if a post comes in with a pair of Guccifer 3.0 Horse-Bit loafers at $12.99, then we'll know for sure. Meantime, the thrift brag thread is the place for these tales of good fortune.

mph57

Reaction score
The Alden 9432S is a chromexcel leather shoe (not that our new friend claimed otherwise). But I do get the sense we're getting trolled. Now, if a post comes in with a pair of Guccifer 3.0 Horse-Bit loafers at $12.99, then we'll know for sure. Meantime, the thrift brag thread is the place for these tales of good fortune.

No troll here. My wife and I are new "empty nesters" who have a little more time on our hands. She still has the receipt (included below) from this Alden purchase...along with her "stuff." : ). I kinda picked up this interest and she just started thrifting older-type shoes. During these last three months, I have tried to buff up these shoes as best I can and then gift some to our extended family, donate to a wounded veteran charity in the D.C. area, and keep a couple wear them for a few weeks and then turn them over to my wife's poshmark. Sorry to offend anyone...just thought I would enter the revival challenge. I'll step aside! Cheers!!!!

Receipt 3.jpg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No troll here. My wife and I are new "empty nesters" who have a little more time on our hands. She still has the receipt (included below) from this Alden purchase...along with her "stuff." : ). I kinda picked up this interest and she just started thrifting older-type shoes. During these last three months, I have tried to buff up these shoes as best I can and then gift some to our extended family, donate to a wounded veteran charity in the D.C. area, and keep a couple wear them for a few weeks and then turn them over to my wife's poshmark. Sorry to offend anyone...just thought I would enter the revival challenge. I'll step aside! Cheers!!!!

View attachment 1011189
Not at all, if it's true then awesome. Just saying there is a whole thread devoted to finds like that and they have a great community too, even bigger in numbers (though not importance!) than this one.
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...the-thunderdome.480919/page-6270#post-9415205
So have at it. This thread is focused on the fixer-uppers like your first post, which was well-received by several regulars here, myself included.

well-kept

Reaction score

View attachment 1011189
Not even slight offense, you are demonstrating the sorts of finds many people live for and dream of. It's wonderful.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1011189

Your entry qualifies. You can join as your heart desires!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads