• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2015-2016 Official Football / Soccer Thread

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a way to rap that up with Payet (who else) hitting in from outside the box at 89 minutes.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was rooting against Brazil (as usual), but they just got completely screwed over by the officials against Peru.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Euro group stages have been a bit underwhelming. Hoping things pick up moving forward. I had higher expectations for Belgium too.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I was glad to see the "golden generation" get picked off by a "workman's Italy" side. I have no idea why Belgium is so hyped. They may have a lot of name recognition, but none of them have won anything of note. Hazard has a PL title, but that was effectively undone by his stinker of a season last year. DeBruyne with the massive price tag, but no consistent production. Vertonghen and Alderweild at the heart of a Tottenham defense that fizzled out in their title challenge. Lukaku who can't lift Everton around him. Origi who can't get games in at Liverpool. Carrasco who can't hold down a starting place in the Atletico Madrid XI (although his impact as a super sub can't be downplayed). Fellaini. Witsel who went for money in the god-forsaken tundra of Russia rather than play proper Euroball. On and on and on.

That Pelle volley was beautiful. Authoritative.

TomOwen

Reaction score
Personally I was glad to see the "golden generation" get picked off by a "workman's Italy" side. I have no idea why Belgium is so hyped. They may have a lot of name recognition, but none of them have won anything of note. Hazard has a PL title, but that was effectively undone by his stinker of a season last year. DeBruyne with the massive price tag, but no consistent production. Vertonghen and Alderweild at the heart of a Tottenham defense that fizzled out in their title challenge. Lukaku who can't lift Everton around him. Origi who can't get games in at Liverpool. Carrasco who can't hold down a starting place in the Atletico Madrid XI (although his impact as a super sub can't be downplayed). Fellaini. Witsel who went for money in the god-forsaken tundra of Russia rather than play proper Euroball. On and on and on.

Belgium are overhyped, but Vertonghen and Alderweireld were the best center-back pairings in the league last season, yet Wilmots plays Vertonghen at left-back. Also, KDB is absolute class and Origi was starting most games for Liverpool before getting his ankle snapped by Funes Mori.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Last edited:

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dare I say Copa America has thus far been more entertaining than the Euros? Controversy, upsets, goals, and a Messi hat trick off the bench.
Meanwhile, how dare the mighty isle dwellers of Iceland simply defend and counterattack! They should come forth and give room to his majesty to do as he pleases

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/14/portugal-iceland-euro-2016-match-report

Was anyone surprised to see Ronaldo break down into a sobby mess when things didn't go his way?

And I can't be the only one who knew the draw was sealed in the last minute when Ronaldo stepped up to take the free kick. I'd be interested in seeing his conversion percentage over the past few years.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember him hitting a FK for Madrid for about 3 years now. Buried them all the time w/ ManU and his first three years at RM.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Ronaldo has gone 0/35 on FKs for Portugal (he's something like 3/100 for RM), and missed a PK of all things today. I'm not sure if Austria would have done worse had they fielded 11 goats in white shirts, I don't really know what they did because Portugal managed 22 shots (9 for Ronaldo--who by the way takes 2X as many shots as any other La Liga player) so the Austrians weren't defending...

I wonder what criticism he'll levy against these opponents

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have been in the woods w/o tv/internet/phone/newspaper - did Nainggolan play?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads