• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(2/17: FOUND!!!!!!!!!) Help me pick out my 1st "big boy" Watch

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Steinhart b-uhr (sp?) 44mm Pilot watch. Do a quick search on Fora...they have a Steinhart section. I'd post pics, but I'm on my iPhone
frown.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go with either Longines or Omega

CrimProf

Reaction score
FStyles,
You asked about where to buy. Lots of good choices, but after hard thought and research a couple years ago I bought a Maurice LaCroix Croneo (MSRP $4,500) for around $1,600 from www.collectorstime.com. Zeetan's prices have gone up a bit as the dollar has sunk, but he is awesome to deal with and has outstanding references on watchnet.com. I would buy from him again if I could (my wife would kill me though if I bought another watch!). You'll see all the big brands on his site--Omega, IWC, Zenith, as well as some brands that you might like but have never heard of. You probably won't find a better deal with such good customer service elsewhere, however.

Anyway, click on the "good guys" tab at Watchnet to do some research on prospective sellers, particularly if you're going used or grey market. In those cases, remember to buy the seller and not solely the price.

If you want to know more about Zeetan at Collector's Time, PM me.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might like the Debaufre Nav-B Limited Edition. It is 48 mm like the IWC Big Pilot but a lot cheaper. It doesn't have a 7 day reserve like the Big Pilot but MRSP was about $700 and you can occasionally find people selling it. You can find other Nav-B watches but they tend to be 44 mm or so. Here is a review: http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?24,32403,32403

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didnt need to click to know this was going to be an Omega thread.

I'd get a second hand JLC Reverso.

reverso_grande_reserve_2.jpg

If you gots to go new, nobody has mentioned the Monaco...

tag-heuer-monaco-watch.jpg

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed!

In the end, I went over 2x my budget,
facepalm.gif
but ended up pretty happy.

Here it is, my humble contribution that does not compare to the Pateks and Langes' in abundance among you, but makes me pretty happy.. (or at least until I develop another expensive obsession
facepalm.gif
)

Sorry for the crappy cell pic. =)

177-1.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles

facepalm.gif

Here it is, my humble contribution that does not compare to the Pateks and Langes' in abundance among you, but makes me pretty happy.. (or at least until I develop another expensive obsession
facepalm.gif
)

177-1.jpg

Is that the one earthdragon had on sale?

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Is that the one earthdragon had on sale?

Nope, its the one Darren had on sale.

devil.gif
lol yes it it. He;'s my homie and we've done a LOT of business together.
smile.gif

BPFT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles

facepalm.gif

facepalm.gif
)

177-1.jpg

Fantastic choice! Congratulations!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great watch. A real classic. I have its predecessor (PAM118) and it's a keeper

Tort007

Reaction score
Great first "real" watch. Welcome to the Pam Fam. However, very difficult to have just one Pam....just wait, you'll see. In due time..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads