• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(2/17: FOUND!!!!!!!!!) Help me pick out my 1st "big boy" Watch

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always go used and open up your choices. Pre-owned watches are just as good as new, except not with the larger price tag.

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
I was in the same boat about 3 years ago. I went with the Omega Railmaster XXL. Its a 49.6mm monster. It's actually larger than the Big Pilot (46mm) and all of the modern day Panerai (42mm, 44mm, & 47mm) I paid about $2300 for it new. Not sure if they still sell this Extra Large Model though. But I'd say take a look at the Railmaster Line in general.

Here are a few of pics of my wactch on a few different straps.

2663161672_c05a6dda75_b.jpg

2638660267_3738dc90be_o.jpg

2664258131_4ee5aacf20_o.jpg

2639970668_572648659f_o.jpg

4241593444_428e8b396d_b.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you've got enough goodies in those sig links to finance a portuguese
devil.gif

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not going to be a popular choice. I bought a Rolex Explorer II in 1981 or 82. I have only had it serviced a few times and have beaten it to death and it still runs to the minute.
I also have other much more expensive watches but this was a great first watch.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlwaysDressed
I was in the same boat about 3 years ago. I went with the Omega Railmaster XXL. Its a 49.6mm monster. It's actually larger than the Big Pilot (46mm) and all of the modern day Panerai (42mm, 44mm, & 47mm) I paid about $2300 for it new. Not sure if they still sell this Extra Large Model though. But I'd say take a look at the Railmaster Line in general.

Here are a few of pics of my wactch on a few different straps.

2639970668_572648659f_o.jpg

4241593444_428e8b396d_b.jpg

WOW that's pretty badass! I'm looking up railmaster now. the last one with the gator strap is especially sexay

thanks mate!

Originally Posted by HRoi
you've got enough goodies in those sig links to finance a portuguese
devil.gif

I do. I've got enough in the BA too.....but what I don't have enough of is patience in dealing with :"her"
confused.gif

Originally Posted by btinl
IMO, you should save more money and wait for something better.

Yeah, thought about that. Not happening.

Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
not "big ol face" but meets the rest of your criteria

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/vi...6&idcategory=0
dornblueth990steelsilverfront_340_detail.jpg

42mm - 3500usd

^^ that's actually pretty nice. Anyone know anything about these things??

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
sigh...this is depressing me. My hard earned $2.5k is just a drop in the toilet of shiotty watches

No Way dude! Plenty of options in your price range. I have several pricey pieces but one of my favorites is a 500$ Marathon JSAR. You can certainly make out better on the TZ sales corner than buying retail or even grey market but you can get a nice piece with 2k none the less.

I really like the Railmaster myself and dont think you'd want to part with it when the time comes to upgrade. Noone else mentioned them but take a look at baume et mercier as well. My first "real" watch was a classima that I still wear often and a dozen watches later.

I'd say even if you got the itch to purchase stalk the TZ SC for a few days. I just saw a reverso in mint condition for 2500 a few days back. Just make sure to do your due diligence and check references at watchnet.

dl

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
My choice (and I'm looking in the same price range) is the Omega Speedmaster Pro. Probably not the best for resale value or in terms of minimalist design, but well made, timeless, and has a nice history behind it.
+1 on the Speedy Pro

Originally Posted by leon12
When I was in your position, I waited patiently for a discontinued white Mark XV to pop up.. IWC rules.

1404148728_d6c60e8413_b.jpg

I really like that white faced Mark XV. No chance of ever finding one not used I guess?

Originally Posted by Fred49
This is not going to be a popular choice. I bought a Rolex Explorer II in 1981 or 82. I have only had it serviced a few times and have beaten it to death and it still runs to the minute.
I also have other much more expensive watches but this was a great first watch.

I agree. I got a no-date sub in 1991 and wore it exclusively until I got a PAM 177 last year.

To the OP: If you like the pilot look, how about a Stowa? I especially like the no-logo one with the blue hands here - and it's only about $750 (allowing you to put something aside for one of the IWCs you really want). It has a pretty good reputation, AFAIK.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babara