• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D to the double A

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any pics of the coconut trucker :).
All I got for now

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no number one. We love all our customers equally.
(except for this one guy who returned 94% of his purchases in 2018, you know who you are...)

This comment actually made me go back and look at my NMWA orders from last year. Because I feel like I order a lot and I send back a lot. With my closet as full as it is these days I'm only keeping pieces that fit me perfectly. And even with the size specs listed, the way it fits is always a bit of an unknown until it's on.

So after checking, in the end I ordered $6k and only kept $1,700. So not quite the 94% return rate but still significant. I have felt bad about returning so much on Greg's dime. And would probably sleep better if there was a flat fee return policy in place.

Has this been poor form on my part to return this amount? Sincerely asking. Curious to know what the average return rate would be...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Average is around 20%

Frankly, 70%+ return rate is the very tail of the distribution curve. I don’t know what it tells us - if it’s a failure on our part to present the items in a way that allow you to make a better decision online before getting merchandise shipped to you.

I don’t know what we could do better to help your decisions but I’m very open to your ideas and suggestions

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Average is around 20%

Frankly, 70%+ return rate is the very tail of the distribution curve. I don’t know what it tells us - if it’s a failure on our part to present the items in a way that allow you to make a better decision online before getting merchandise shipped to you.

I don’t know what we could do better to help your decisions but I’m very open to your ideas and suggestions
This is good to know.
I really can't think of more that you could do to lessen my returns. You guys are doing an excellent job with descriptions and the IG Friday drop vids are so helpful. The problem is more my inability to know what is going to fit just right until it's on.

So...it's not you, it's me.

Honestly, I would be happy to pay for returns to make the shopping process more fair. Especially if the average return rate is 20%. Makes me feel like a schmuck.

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Any feedback about how the Vibram and Dainite soles feel compared to the JR leather soles?

More than two years ago I bought (from NMWA) a pair of the oxblood u-cap wingtips, P2 last, Goyser welt with double JR soles. Depends on how you dress, but I find them appropriate for almost any situation.

I’ve been caught in heavy rainstorms two or three times and my feet have stayed dry. The soles are still going strong, and they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. Love the shape of the last, especially how the heel is snug. That was always a problem for me.
There haven't been a lot of posts lately about Vass, in particular the Alt Wien. Anybody have any overall experiences / thoughts to share? I'm wondering how they work as a versatile cool / wet weather shoe.
I have several pairs in the P2 last. I am extremely satisfied with them. The leather JR Rendenbach soles wear like iron and the sole and overall shoe has held up well over several years: and I’ve put a lot of miles on them.

I don’t have experience with their dainite and commando soles, but I imagine they’re even more inclement weather friendly, along with the Goyser welt.

Penny_pants

Reaction score
Any feedback about how the Vibram and Dainite soles feel compared to the JR leather soles?

More than two years ago I bought (from NMWA) a pair of the oxblood u-cap wingtips, P2 last, Goyser welt with double JR soles. Depends on how you dress, but I find them appropriate for almost any situation.

I’ve been caught in heavy rainstorms two or three times and my feet have stayed dry. The soles are still going strong, and they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. Love the shape of the last, especially how the heel is snug. That was always a problem for me.

I’ve owned all three soles on AE or Alden’s. Just wanted to say that Dainite soles can be extremely slick when wet on smooth tile from my experience. Leather soles have held up fine in rain, I think with the size of shoe roatation as long as they’re drying out completely it’s a non issue.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned all three soles on AE or Alden’s. Just wanted to say that Dainite soles can be extremely slick when wet on smooth tile from my experience. Leather soles have held up fine in rain, I think with the size of shoe roatation as long as they’re drying out completely it’s a non issue.

I’ve had the same experience with Dainite soles in rain or on ice or on tile - I find them to be much slicker than what I would have imagined for a rubber sole.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Average is around 20%

The one piece of info I always find helpful is you and Kyle providing the size of the pieces you are trying on. For those of us who have met you guys in person it is really helpful.

I know you guys recommend sizing, but I personally don’t always find that helpful because your suggested sizing may not necessarily be how I want the fit. For instance, I am 5’11” and 145lbs. In the Tony Shacket my recommended size would probably be a medium, but I prefer the oversized large.

I can personally say my return rate is probably higher than average. Here is some feedback for my rationale.

1) The return policy makes me a little more adventurous to experiment with pieces I ordinarily may not try.

2) Product moves so quickly that I would rather order and fully consider the piece in person and not kick myself for sleeping on it.

3) Sale items are final sale, so at times I may want to try sizing on pieces I may be on the fence on in anticipation of it making it to the sale.

4) A number of brands you carry are near impossible to find other places, so I find myself ordering various sizes and styles to see how things fit, not only for the current season but in hopes of dialing in sizing for future seasons.

Last edited:

rodgers12

Reaction score
Definitely need the coconut trucker without the shearling

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics