• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

How about something like this, except perhaps look for something in the drapers ascot 4ply similar to this. (My thinking is this is too light for fall / winter in Germany.).
That's beautiful!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1028.png

Dear friends, have I lost my mind? I’m thinking about having a summer jacket made in something like this. I don’t anticipate using it for professional occasions: more of a vacation jacket to pair with cream linen trousers, possibly yellow linen. Never with a necktie.

And the question is, who should make it: at first, I think it’s very Neapolitan in color. But I think the Florentine dartless front would look great with such a large pattern. But if I’m doing something crazy, I might lean toward something less expensive (Neapolitan is generally less expensive than Florentine tailoring).

Anyways, Ive just been thinking about it & figured I’d ask other people’s thoughts.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2113759

Dear friends, have I lost my mind? I’m thinking about having a summer jacket made in something like this. I don’t anticipate using it for professional occasions: more of a vacation jacket to pair with cream linen trousers, possibly yellow linen. Never with a necktie.

And the question is, who should make it: at first, I think it’s very Neapolitan in color. But I think the Florentine dartless front would look great with such a large pattern. But if I’m doing something crazy, I might lean toward something less expensive (Neapolitan is generally less expensive than Florentine tailoring).

Anyways, Ive just been thinking about it & figured I’d ask other people’s thoughts.

I like colour and pattern. As you said, the cloth has a very Neapolitan flair.

michaelle11

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this linen farbic is ok?The tailor here offers like 250$ for custom MTM, full canvas and horn buttons
I have no experience with fabric and I know it's very cheap. Should i take a rish?
CC11038E-DBF6-4F29-866E-8475AEF05BFA.jpeg
F3BE63AC-A616-4746-B9AD-DC00FE399BC4.jpeg

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much help if you can't tell us which mill the fabric is from. It's like me posting a picture of a cotton fabric and saying can anyone tell me if this is good.

Also $250 is quite cheap for a mtm jacket.
Are the photos from your tailor? Or is it from an Instagram account

CLH03

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this linen farbic is ok?The tailor here offers like 250$ for custom MTM, full canvas and horn buttons
I have no experience with fabric and I know it's very cheap. Should i take a rish?
View attachment 2114249 View attachment 2114251
I’m guessing that isn’t actually the fabric they’re using. Especially if it costs $250. I would avoid it like the plague

michaelle11

Reaction score
Not much help if you can't tell us which mill the fabric is from. It's like me posting a picture of a cotton fabric and saying can anyone tell me if this is good.

Also $250 is quite cheap for a mtm jacket.
Are the photos from your tailor? Or is it from an Instagram account
Yes the jacket from this tailor. I went to see but I actually have no experience.

michaelle11

Reaction score
I’m guessing that isn’t actually the fabric they’re using. Especially if it costs $250. I would avoid it like the plague
I went to see it. And it’s the same jacket. But i know nothing about fabric. They have different fabric but doesn’t look good as this.

michaelle11

Reaction score
$250 is really cheap. Even if it’s the same fabric, I can’t imagine the jacket will be great
I’m based in Vietnam at the moment and the cost of labor is low here. But of course this fabric has no name, and probably is not so good quality. therefore it’s cheaper. Otherwise I won’t ask you guys.

hitsuji

Reaction score
Ooh that looks really nice! But I kinda feel that it's a winter-y fabric more than a 4-season one right..?
The Glorious Twelfth fabric (I have a sports coat from the same book) will do you quite well all year but no idea how they would perform as a trouser.

I wouldn’t wear the trousers by itself but the jacket you could if you add enough casual features but again if you’re in a conservative environment then you can’t make it too casual.

If you like the look of flannel I’d suggest just getting another suit since it wont operate anywhere close to a “4 season” fabric.

Is getting 2 suits made out of your budget? You can get one made for the upcoming spring/summer and look to get a heavier 14~oz suit for the colder months

hitsuji

Reaction score
I am aware of some Vietnamese tailors having quite decent books but for $250 total I’d be quite wary about the quality of the fabric.

Are you sure the tailor didnt say that labour is $250 and that fabric would be a seperate cost? I think that sounds more realistic considering costs in Vietnam. Have a discussion with the tailor and don’t take an uninformed decision on getting something.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks very nice to me, also in some details. The price seems very low, but, as you said, it could be due to cheaper labour cost in that land. Can't say anything about the cloth, but I imagine that the tailor has a book, and if not, can give you some information anyway.

jssdc

Reaction score
View attachment 2113759

What about a Sicilian tailor?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member