• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the **** is a dethatcher.
To be fair, I didn't know about it until moving here either.

Maybe that's because I previously never had a lawn (other than my parents), but there might be regional differences as well...the common grass here has a different texture than I was used to in the upper midwest. More fine and spindly, more likely to go dormant in a dry summer, etc.

I'm just trying to make the lawn a little nicer for our upcoming child to crawl around on...fill it in a bit more and make it more "plush"

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ramit has been beating this drum for a long time and has taken untold **** from the realtor-industrial complex. Can forgive him for dunking a little.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly do we mean by "economic sense?" I understand that you can consider "housing" as a fungible commodity by comparing $/ft2 or bedrooms/bathrooms etc., but that's always going to be a rather reductive view of housing as ownership conveys a different bundle of rights. For a lot of people, renting is not a good substitute for ownership. IDK, I guess by pure microeconomic theory everyone is always doing whatever makes the best economic sense for them in any particular moment . . .

brokencycle

Reaction score
What exactly do we mean by "economic sense?" I understand that you can consider "housing" as a fungible commodity by comparing $/ft2 or bedrooms/bathrooms etc., but that's always going to be a rather reductive view of housing as ownership conveys a different bundle of rights. For a lot of people, renting is not a good substitute for ownership. IDK, I guess by pure microeconomic theory everyone is always doing whatever makes the best economic sense for them in any particular moment . . .

I strongly believe we overemphasize home ownership in this country.

I posted in another thread how the US has an extremely high migration rate relative to other countries. That can put people at a huge disadvantage (think single company towns or other dying towns).

We also train people that buying a house is an investment. It really isn't. It is normally a forced saving tool. At its best, people get lucky and are able to sell at a large gain because they bought in a rapidly appreciating area. At worst, it is a money trap.

The problem is that people typically move every 7 years or so. Most people who see that appreciation sell to upgrade. Problem is that upgrade also appreciated over time, so they're probably no better off financially.

People also just don't count all the not-so hidden costs of ownership, and they can't wrap their heads around compound growth. As an example, the house we are currently buying is 13x the price it was the last time it was sold (and if it had been sold 4 years ago, it probably would have sold for half that). That only works out to 5.5% in nominal growth and <2% in real growth. The real annualized return on the S&P 500 over the same period was 8%.

Renting is likely in a lot of people's economic best interests. I say this as someone who, as I posted recently, that I'm going to be building a custom home. It feels like a completely dumb financial move, but we're going in viewing it as consumption not investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads