• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread

LTSpanky

Reaction score

No, I am over that. I tried for years to give solid input and 80% of the time get crap for it but here is a little something for you-

A bound seam more often than not has no functional purpose. It just looks "Nicer or "Cleaner". If you were to buy any pant worth their salt they wouldn't have bound ( taped) inseams. The taping or what ever you are using to bind the seam with will be pressed through at some point and will make the pant unattractive. In the case of dress trousers this should happen because it drives your tailor nuts having to remove it all before he starts altering. The only exception would be water proofing a seam but that's a whole different construction process.

Don't confuse yourself with "Serger". There are many types multi spool stitching machines that factories use and serve different purposes. Each machine has it's advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what you are using the stitch for.
Is it strength? Is it flexibility or are you working with a particular fabric that needs to be sewn a particular way? Is it just faster and cheaper to do?

An example is a tee shirt- You don't want to single needle a tee shirt. I mean you could but why? Single needle isn't the best option. It's the worst. The tension and give isn't there. Now, you have to figure out what stitch you want to give the adequate strength and aesthetic. Are you going to sew ( serge) on side or both, inside or out. To many variables in your question.

There is always a fast an easy method of doing things and a more skilled and precise way of doing things. Those things are normally reflected in the price of the good being sold.

I hope this helps.

I am starting tee shirts and over dyes NOW this way stock and MTO, MTM will be here in time for spring and summer.

As someone who works retail, people are never satisfied with what you do and there will always be complainers. That said, I think I probably speak for a lot of your customers when I say you do what hardly anyone else in the industry does, and you do it very well. The level of transparency and communication is insane. Don't get discouraged by the haters. Looking forward to the overdyes and tshirts. I'm really tempted on the rose flannel MTO shirt too.......

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great news. All outerwear is in my hands. I really wish I had it for the blizzard. The sniper is pretty ******* great. I made a few extra.

The scarves left Italy as well.

The made in the USA shirts have been submitted. More will go up in the next couple days and this will happen every week.

I am getting ready to make over dye oxfords and over dye poplin for Spring. Any color suggestions?

Last edited:

kwanon

Reaction score
Kinda lame but I'm mostly in need of a totally-standard-dress-shirt-blue oxford button down.

chickenfark

Reaction score
Mauro, how do you feel about a color-blocked overdye? Something like pink/navy, olive/navy, olive/brown?

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mauro, how do you feel about a color-blocked overdye? Something like pink/navy,  olive/navy, olive/brown?

Ombre or color blocking? Two different things. I really want to do some Ombre in those colors.

Color blocking to involves more than two colors. Yes, it can be two colors but I would think an Ombre would be more attractive. Shot me an email with a picture so we are on the same page.

Kinda lame but I'm mostly in need of a totally-standard-dress-shirt-blue oxford button down.

I have traditional Blue coming out. I also have white and blue with fish ( jacquard ) and anchor ( jacquard). The prints are very very subtle. Great weight, nice cloth. I also will having white and blue.

space4lyfe

Reaction score
Really down for Ombre (especially in like a black-gray ish) for either a sweatshirt or tee. Colour blocking makes me look too short

ajg esp

Reaction score
People still waiting on flannels from Italy, hit me up. There are only a few. Major disconnect with some orders and you will receive your shirts. I just want to be upfront.

Mauro - shot you an e-mail on Tuesday that I'm still waiting on my flannel. I'll resend it. Don't want to be a pest, but also don't want you giving my shirt away! (just kidding)

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are some ideas for the ombré poplin and oxfords. I also thought it would be cool to make some tees this way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads