• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When would you wear a double-breasted navy sport jacket?

rjc149

Reaction score
To stop saying that. I made my point very clearly. It's irrelevant and it's not really true. All you're doing is pushing a gender norm, and there's nothing helpful about that.
I’m not trying to be more disagreeable than I’m already perceived, but I don’t really give a sh!t about “gender norms” or things like that, and my patience threshold for wokeness is already pretty small — you’re not going to get through to me on this.

To you, an open mind is getting your first sport coat. I have a few of those.
Wow Danny, you’re so far ahead of me. That’s great.

rjc149

Reaction score
"Effeminate" is a gender norm. If you don't give a **** about it, stop talking about it. Problem solved.
No, I don’t give a **** about the fact that you have a problem with it, not that I don’t care about “gender norms.” Which I also don’t.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I really like the navy 4x2/6x2 sport jacket, but I rarely find any occasion to wear them. I find it much easier to wear navy single-breasted at work (as a young working-professional in a traditional, conservative industry in NYC), but vitrually nobody wears DB. I can speculate as to the reasons, but in other similar workplaces I observe the same phenomenon, so I think it's safe to say that very few, if any, people wear DBs to work in this late-pandemic era? What do you think?

Outside of work, I only very occassionally wear them for fun in the evening because none of my friends are into tailoring, and although most of them are kind enough to tolerate me at places where "traditionally" tailoring is preferred, sometimes I'm still a bit self-conscious.

When I'm meeting new people around my age at places where I think a jacket would be appropriate, I sometimes would use that opportunity to wear the navy DB jacket, but inevitably, the person sitting in the opposite would comment on the jacket, whereas when I'm wearing a single-breasted, there would be none. I worry that the jacket is taking too much attention, and I may be conveying the wrong message.

Thank you for reading. So... help?

So yeah, tl;dr: double breasted jackets are cool, and kind of on trend, but still not common. Finding occasions to wear tailoring is always a little tricky, but as you get used to tailoring in general or DBS in particular, and come into your own style, you'll feel and look cooler, and that's a good thing. You'll also get fewer comments, as your friends will start to recognize your style for what it is.

While you're working on that, it might also help to treat people with basic decency, and if you're strongly opposed to that, that's probably going to get in the way of you becoming chill or reasonable enough to dress how you like to dress.

rjc149

Reaction score
You're right that I think you have poor taste and a sense of self-confidence about your views that's not proportionate to how much you actually know about clothing.
This is interesting. So, my self-confidence is something you find distasteful. Is it because it threatens you and your "alpha status" on this forum? I'm a bit too big for my britches then, aren't I? Is the knowledge of clothing something you believe requires years of experience, skill, and adept proficiency to opine "correctly" on? Something only men like you, who eat sleep and **** in this space, have earned?

I can't interpret this as anything except that you take yourself too seriously Derek.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is interesting. So, my self-confidence is something you find distasteful. Is it because it threatens you? I'm a bit too big for my britches then, aren't I? Is the knowledge of clothing something you believe requires years of experience, skill, and adept proficiency to opine "correctly" on?

I can't interpret this as anything except that you take yourself way too seriously Derek.

Good lord man. I bust your balls because you say some things I find to be ridiculous, and you speak with such a sense of self-confidence about what people should or should not wear with regard to tailored clothing, but just bought your first sport coat. There's nothing wrong with buying your first sport coat because everyone who wears sport coats has, at some point, bought their first one. It's just the declarations you give about how this is gay or that is out of place or that is this other thing. So I bust your balls because I find them ridiculous.

It's weird that you're so sensitive to me busting your balls on a forum we share, but feel totally comfortable remarking on someone's physical appearance behind their backs.

rjc149

Reaction score
Good lord man. I bust your balls because you say some things I find to be ridiculous, and you speak with such a sense of self-confidence about what people should or should not wear with regard to tailored clothing, ... It's just the declarations you give about how this is gay or that is out of place or that is this other thing. So I bust your balls because I find them ridiculous.
I honestly do not recall any instance where I proscribed a certain item of clothing-- can you elaborate? I've expressed my personal opinions, maybe more forcefully than you like, but that's it. You're clearly very sensitive about the 'gay' thing, which I think is really your issue, not mine, because you keep going back to it. I think I said this about men wearing tight leather pants, and you've just been on and on about it ever since.

And I've said that DB suits are out of fashion in the business world -- does my experience in this sphere somehow challenge your knowledge of clothing? I don't think it does, so wtf is your problem with it?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honestly do not recall any instance where I proscribed a certain item of clothing-- can you elaborate? You're clearly very sensitive about the 'gay' thing, which I think is really your issue, not mine, because you keep going back to it. I think I said this about men wearing tight leather pants, and you've just been on and on about it ever since.

And I've said that DB suits are out of fashion in the business world -- does my experience in this sphere somehow challenge your knowledge of clothing? I don't think it does, so wtf is your problem with it?

You are the only person in this thread who has the idea that tailored clothing can only be worn for work. I wear tailored clothing outside of work, and the OP also brought up the possibility of wearing DBs outside of work, but was just looking for ways on how. I suggested that he wear them to dinner, ideally a slightly fancier place.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dude-- when did I EVER state this?

No one is talking about only wearing DBs to work!!! There are people who live outside of work, and so plenty of opportunities to wear a DB suit, even if you can't wear one to work.

You do need some balls (gender normative) to stand out a little.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usaleatherfirm