• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

musehead

Reaction score
I am a self proclaimed expert on Bausch and Lomb aka Vintage Ray Bans. I have a degree in Vintage Ray Ban Eyewear, if you need help or have a question this is the place to get answers. I also buy them if you have a pair or more you want to sell. Cheers.

bridg90

Reaction score
Hi Musehead,

I have a pair of vintage Bausch and Lomb Ray Bans that I am trying to get more info on. My father bought them back in the 70s or 80s and has never worn them because he had to get prescriptions. I have looked at quite a few websites that list info on how to tell a fake and all, but the glasses that I have are slightly different from what they consider to be "real." Mine have the stamp on both the under and upper side of bridge. Top side reads "B&L Ray Ban U.S.A." Bottom side reads "B&L 62[]14 U.S.A." There are no markings on the ear pieces or anywhere else on the glasses with the exception of the Ray Ban logo on the lense. The part that I am confused about is the etching that is supposed to be on the lense. I do not have a BL, B&L or RB. I can't imagine that they would have made fakes that long ago so could these be older than the 70s??? I can send pics if that would help. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Bridget

musehead

Reaction score
Hey thanks for posting bridg90, from what you've stated on your post, everything checks out. Ray Bans were first made by Bausch and Lomb starting in the late 1930's up until the Ray Ban name got sold to Luxoticca in 1998. It seems to me that you have a pair late 1950 to early 1970 Ray bans. The B&L etching was not laser etched neither did they have the white cursive "Ray Ban" logo. The laser B&L etching was introduced in the late 1970's and the white cursive "Ray Ban" logo in late 1982. If you can, pm me some pictures or just post some on here and I'll be able to tell you what type of lens they have.

musehead

Reaction score
P.S.
You have the 62mm large sized lens
Standard was a 58mm medium
Lastly, all vintage Ray bans were stamped B&L Ray Ban USA
On the top part of the top bar and B&L Ray Ban 62-14
For 62mm Large or B&L Ray Ban 58-14 for the 58mm medium

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Was Connery wearing Ray Bans on the beach scene with Domino towards the end of Thunderball?

Do you know post Luxottica is it true the lenses are now plastic or polycarbonate? I think older Ray Bans were all made of glass?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have vintage Wayfarers and Drifters. I never wear them because they always slide off my head. Welcome to Styleforum musehead.

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any major differences between vintage and current Ray Bans? If so, what existing brand(s) compare closest to vintage Ray Bans?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The plastic on the vintage models is a lot stiffer. Also, vintage models are heavier and to my eye, the old Wayfarers seem to lean forward more than the current ones. I really like the old styling.

Last edited:

musehead

Reaction score
@ Laniceman,
Had to Youtube that scene, never watched the movie before. They don't look like B&L Ray Bans Wayfares or any other Vintage model, from the side markings, it's hard to make out so I might be wrong but they Look like some type of Vintage Persol Sunglasses. Modern day Luxottica lens are made of glass not plastic however from my personal experience the lens quality is just not as good as classic Bausch and Lomb Ray Ban. B&L has more lens choices and more specialized lens technologies like Changeables aka photo chromatic, Chromax (Driving series), Diamond Hard (NASA diamond coating technology) and many more.

@Man of Limit,
Thanks for the welcome. It's possible to get them sized at a local Lenscrafters, (they do it for free) or any other local optometry centers (note: some charge, about 10-15$) I size all of my Ray Bans, although I do just wear aviators and they are way easier to self adjust, so I do it myself, the Wayfarers and Drifters I'd get those professionally sized at above mentioned places they have thicker paddles so they'll most likely use a heat source (don't worry it's safe) to make them malleable.

@ballmouse
I have yet to find another brand that compares to Bausch and Lomb Ray Bans. Modern day Ray Bans are just not the same, it's because B&L just sold the name "Ray Ban" to Luxottica and not their lens technology, I'd say Oakley is probably the only one that comes close, they do have some pretty cool sunglasses but they're just not my style so I always end up going back to B&L Ray Bans.

musehead

Reaction score
Modern day Ray Bans are not made in China, if it is stated that they are then that's a clear indicator of a fake. Nowadays they are made in Italy by Luxottica. The listing you posted on here is no longer up. It has been deleted by its author.

kings99

Reaction score
Great thread, Musehead! Here's my question:

I have a pair of B&L Predator 1 Polarized glasses (circa 1996) that I love, but the lenses are all scratched up now. What's the best way to get replacement lenses for this pre-Luxottica model? Do you know if Ray-Ban provides a lens replacement service for older models? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

butterflystyle

Reaction score

Modern day Ray Bans are not made in China, if it is stated that they are then that's a clear indicator of a fake. Nowadays they are made in Italy by Luxottica. The listing you posted on here is no longer up. It has been deleted by its author.

This is not correct.

I bought a pair of Wayfarers from an authorized, in person, large, brick&mortar dealer in Colorado (Europtics, for those curious) and they were made in China.

Furthermore:

http://www.shadesdaddyblog.com/are-some-ray-ban-sunglasses-made-in-china/

http://consumerist.com/2010/08/31/s...r-italy-and-china-are-the-same-dont-be-picky/

http://eyewearnerd.blogspot.com/2012/12/where-are-ray-bans-made.html

http://www.gaffos.com/blog/are-ray-ban-sunglasses-only-made-in-italy/

The model I have is the 5184.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads