• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

paborden

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to where I can find a length of Russel Plaid these days? Scoured some books to no avail...

potter AB

Reaction score
Scabal is English
Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, where it was founded by a German that wisely had fled his country in 1938. Scabal were among the first (if not the very first?) to present fabrics in bunches.

Last edited:

goalaso

Reaction score
Looking at a used wool-alpaca (70/30) overcoat, and trying to understand what these creases are on the back (and elsewhere, though not across lapels). The fabric is a bit fuzzy, and I'm not sure if these are just creases from poor storage that will steam out, or permanent defects in the fabric? Can anyone gives guidance? Thanks
1699668963965.png

Simon A

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to where I can find a length of Russel Plaid these days? Scoured some books to no avail...
You can procure tweeds in this pattern from Harrisons' Porter and Harding Hartwist book, Lovat Mill's Ettrick book, Huddersfield Fine Worsted's Alsport II book, Glenlyon Tweed Mill's 775g range, and from Islay Woollen Mill's K range.

Last edited:

hitsuji

Reaction score
Do the folks at the row or around the area sell fabrics by the metre and is it any cheaper than buying directly from the mill/merchants?

Looking for some cavalry twills and flannels

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Lady San Felice book a few weeks ago and towards the front they had a number of blue glen plaids that I thought were nice. Different shades of blue, the plaid was definitely a sports coat scale, and the contrast wasn’t so big that it was too loud (again, the scale of the plaid made it read obviously as NOT a suiting, so the fact it’s less bold didn’t make it look like an orphaned jacket). Not sure if I took any pictures, but I can check if you don’t have easier access to the book/pictures.

Thanks! I’m looking at it online now. Certainly some contenders.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t do it !!! I regret selecting cloth from that book. If you want 290 grams check out the new fox worsted flannel book.

I’m not specifically looking for flannels, this was in response to a query of mine for a suggestion for patterned blue/navy odd jackets - Glen plaids, Glen checks, windowpanes… anything that wasn’t a solid and wouldn’t be mistaken for an orphaned suit jacket.

I agree, 290 grams seems a bit light for flannel in general.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I’m not specifically looking for flannels, this was in response to a query of mine for a suggestion for patterned blue/navy odd jackets - Glen plaids, Glen checks, windowpanes… anything that wasn’t a solid and wouldn’t be mistaken for an orphaned suit jacket.

I agree, 290 grams seems a bit light for flannel in general.
I’m not sure about the blues I mentioned, but the fabric I got from the book for a jacket was 360 grams and the fabric for the pants was 340 grams. Still not the heaviest of flannels, of course.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM