• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

camez_

Reaction score
I’m not specifically looking for flannels, this was in response to a query of mine for a suggestion for patterned blue/navy odd jackets - Glen plaids, Glen checks, windowpanes… anything that wasn’t a solid and wouldn’t be mistaken for an orphaned suit jacket.

I agree, 290 grams seems a bit light for flannel in general.

just go with standeven's oxbridge or fox' flannel

vbc has 360g and 340g in the same bunch but the consensus is that they're thinner/weaker and the british ones have the upper hand in comparison

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Roger Kearey

Reaction score
Caccioppoli are narrower. Happened to one of my tailors & he needed to order more fabric but caccioppoli discontinued the fabric. We had to find a new fabric.
Ah yes. They had this tasty White seersucker with Blue & Red stripe thing a few of my customers liked. Narrow as F***.

The representative in the UK for Caccioppoli and Drago is the hardest working hero in cloth because their stocks disappear weekly and from hour to hour sometimes.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_3069.jpeg

Anyone else relate?

ZRH1

Reaction score
Anyone who's made a coat in Fox's military grade overcoating fabrics? I guess a full length coat in such a heavy weight would be a bit too much? What'd be a good model for such a heavy cloth? A shorter coat, e.g. a peacoat perhaps?

I have a CT15 at 750 made in an Ulster and am thinking CT24 at 850 because it is denser. The weight is considerable however on the 750, so from my understanding I would lose in volume/bulk, which is what I am after.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else relate?

Yes. I’ve stopped buying/hoarding cloth. It’s not worth the hassle. I tell my tailor what I’m looking for in general terms (i.e. dark grey mohair ~10 Oz.), he recommends a few, and I pick one. Much less stress that way. Results are much better than when I tried to source my own fabric. And no more lugging lengths of fabric to hotel rooms like I’m doing a drug deal.

And I sometimes I’ll be pleasantly surprised at what he picks.

ZRH1

Reaction score
I cannot agree more. I was enamoured will all things vintage a while back, buying loads at outlets like Vecchio Drappiere and Lafayette Saltiel. I precisely use one, yes 1, suit from all those tailored garments.

hitsuji

Reaction score
What are you folk’s opinions on Dormeuil Sportex Vintage? It will be a blind buy as a jacket for me.

Is it more of a 3 season fabric?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I’ve stopped buying/hoarding cloth. It’s not worth the hassle. I tell my tailor what I’m looking for in general terms (i.e. dark grey mohair ~10 Oz.), he recommends a few, and I pick one. Much less stress that way. Results are much better than when I tried to source my own fabric. And no more lugging lengths of fabric to hotel rooms like I’m doing a drug deal.

And I sometimes I’ll be pleasantly surprised at what he picks.
Now you can stuff the duffels full of drugs instead #winning
What are you folk’s opinions on Dormeuil Sportex Vintage? It will be a blind buy as a jacket for me.

Is it more of a 3 season fabric?
I'd say so. I believe it's 13oz or thereabouts, though, honestly, I don't really feel it. Probably closer to a spring/fall jacket, and capable of a standalone in winter in a moderate climate. Would not want it sans coat if stuck outside in properly cold weather.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member