• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in a constant rotation of tendon and joint pain, amd have been for years. If it isn't my achilles it's my shoulder or my hip or my knee. I've been wondering if I'm especially prone to tendon inflammation or what.
From what I've read, a lot of tendon inflammation is normally due to improperly loading doing too much work in too short of a time.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in a constant rotation of tendon and joint pain, amd have been for years. If it isn't my achilles it's my shoulder or my hip or my knee. I've been wondering if I'm especially prone to tendon inflammation or what.
I still do pull ups, and now I use that strap that goes around the forearm to help with the flaming tendinitis in the left elbow I'm prone to.
I also have a thing in the shoulder I get semi-annual cortisone shots for, and I have a gel-ice velcro air pump thing I put around the shoulder after every work out.
It's a battle fighting decay.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Inexcusable.

All too predictable, though. If where folks live is segregated, school funding is tied to property values, and we allow people to opt out of public schools while taking the tax money with them via vouchers, we shouldn’t expect a different outcome. Our society is segregated, and just because it’s de facto doesn’t mean that it’s not real.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
All too predictable, though. If where folks live is segregated, school funding is tied to property values, and we allow people to opt out of public schools while taking the tax money with them via vouchers, we shouldn’t expect a different outcome. Our society is segregated, and just because it’s de facto doesn’t mean that it’s not real.
Tying school funding to property taxes is an incredibly insidious way to reify class barriers.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what is a preferable way to fund schools
Fund according to population and need. Don’t reduce the allocation to poor schools because rich people have opted out and some kids are truant. Repeal Prop 13.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schooling should be funded at the state level from pooled property taxes (or some other tax?) equally allocated across the entire state. It seems baffling to me for people to ***** about the quality of education in poor school districts when the current system virtually guarantees that it will never improve.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fund according to population and need. Don’t reduce the allocation to poor schools because rich people have opted out and some kids are truant. Repeal Prop 13.
CA took a step in that direction with Prop 19, which mostly gutted Prop 58's parent/child reassessment exclusion. It took a step in the other direction by allowing seniors to move to a new home without having to lose their current property tax valuation, though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
CA took a step in that direction with Prop 19, which mostly gutted Prop 58's parent/child reassessment exclusion. It took a step in the other direction by allowing seniors to move to a new home without having to lose their current property tax valuation, though.
Not sure how I feel about that. I'll let you know after we move.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No comments on the property tax front (as it can be a bit different from state to state), but at least here in Michigan I'd love to see the state do away with schools of choice as I think it hurts poorer performing schools and those students left behind much more than it probably helps the individual students leaving their home district.

Students who live in "poorer" districts who have parents who are engaged enough to drive them out of their home district to some other nearby district are the ones who probably would have thrived, comparatively, in their home district since parental engagement is so highly correlated to student outcomes. Them leaving lowers their home district's overall performance while also possibly lowering their school of choice district's overall performance. The school of choice may get some more student funding dollars allocated to them but if the overall performance of both districts has been hurt, that's going to make both districts less desirable so both will potentially lose out on future tax dollars since the property values may not grow as fast as they would otherwise. I do recognize that the original poor performing district is going to be hurt disproportionately in this equation.

Full disclosure: I live in a high performing district that sort of games the school of choice program here. We are technically a school of choice so we get some extra funding allocated to us but, IIRC, the only grades that are open to students from outside the district are kindergarten and then a few slots in high school in the alternative-ed program. I know they get some takers in the high school alternative-ed program but I cannot imagine they get many parents driving kids to the one of the elementary schools for kindergarten when the parent knows they cannot send their kid their for subsequent grades.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree in principle with the idea that higher-performing students should stay in their home districts, but I have a hard time condemning a parent who pulls strings to get the best education he/she can get for the kid. We have excellent schools where we are, but if they had been sub-par I would have done whatever I could to make sure my kid got a decent education, even if it meant undermining our home schools/district.

That's also why I think a statewide funding regime for education makes the most sense. Every school should have equal per-pupil funding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads