• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to drink it with a salad and some cheese I get with my CSA.

I keep forgetting to go to Murray's and get some aged Comte. Going to do that next time

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. With comte, it's a perfect match. Like man and woman, mushrooms and madeira, peanut butter and jelly...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great with morels as well. Vin Jaune is awesome, but it is particular. Strong. I find that other Jura wines, which retain a good bit of that sherry flavor, are very versatile.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

:). I didn't know that. I thought Jura was famous for Vin Jaune but didn't know they were exclusive
I figured it was worth a try.
Having this right now
ypu2ure2.jpg
Really young. Soft tannins. Lots of baking spices up front. Moderate acidity. Light red fruit.
It's pretty decent

the edge shows fairly typical nebbiolo color. nice.

Last edited:

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used to be on the saddleback mailing list when the zins/cabs were well priced, then they started the high end venge label, the venge cab garnered some high scores and prices ran out of control (for us) so we dropped. But we have a mixed case of the venge designated stuff that we've started to drink and it's great. Last night we had a 1997 venge family sangiovese, bricking on the edge, tannins resolved, really a beautifully balanced, full wine...happy to have more in the cellar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think I could drink Jura wines on any sort of regular basis. They are interesting and worth a look, but I find even the non-vin juane wines to be very prickly.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Anyone ever been to Vinopolis in London and if so is it worth a visit?

no. In London, I got my evening wines at Whole Foods, except for the Dom my brother brought over. Truth.

One thing that struck me about London was how expensive the wines were in stores. I was likely shopping in the wrong places (this was beyond whole foods), but still.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail advertising a sale on Chateau d'Yquem Ygrec. I didn't even know this wine existed. Out of my price range and doesn't quite seem like it'd be my thing, but the write-up piqued my curiosity.

Instead of harvesting the fruit all at once for the wine, the fruit for this particular wine is harvested at two different times. (It is made from 50% Sauvignon Blanc and 50% Semillon) The first round of Sauvignon Blanc was picked early to impart the crisp acidity into the wine. The Semillon was picked next and it worked to balance the wine out so that it was less opulent and more crisp. Then the Château did something completely off the beaten path- they went back to harvesting and making Sauternes. After that was done, they then picked a second round of now, fully ripe grapes for the Ygrec (this is a highly unusual technique in winemaking). This allowed the winery to achieve parity between the two varietals thanks to the late picked fully ripened Semillion grapes. The first round was tremendously fresh and fruity while the second picking added body and richness.

Have any of you tried this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is not much made. H-B Blanc is a better wine, but much more expensive. For a great white Bord that is not (usually) a bank breaker try Smith Haut-Lafite.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The SHL white is fine, but the red is pretty atrocious these days. Massive bomb of oak and extraction.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STACY411