• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Quatsch

Reaction score
Tonight was a blind tasting of two cflights of five Syrahs, all '98 or '99 - 8 Hermitage/Côte Rôtie and two Californians, as it turned out. The Rhônes were from Chave, Jamet, Guigal & Tardieu-Laurent, while the Americans were Dehlinger and Arcadian. The most expensive wines - the two Guigal Lalas, fared the worst, and the Dehlinger acquitted itself well. The Jamet Côte-Rôtie stole the show, with the Jaboulet La Chapelle not far behind. And you forget how good Northern Rhônes can be . . .

Last edited:

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tonight was a blind tasting of two cflights of five Syrahs, all '98 or '99 - 8 Hermitage/Côte Rôtie and two Californians, as it turned out. The Rhônes were from Chave, Jamet, Guigal & Tardieu-Laurent, while the Americans were Dehlinger and Arcadian. The most expensive wines - the two Guigal Lalas, fared the worst, and the Dehlinger acquitted itself well. The Jamet Côte-Rôtie stole the show, with the Jaboulet La Chapelle not far behind. And you forget how good Northern Rhônes can be . . .

What's left to pick at Rhys? Horseshoe? I really enjoy Kevin's tweets re: this vintage. Really cool to see how dynamic the decision to pick is.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good beginner’s book for wine? Descriptions of varietals and comparisons of similar varietals or identical varietals from different terrior would be great.

I'm looking into taking a few wine classes at a local CC, but they won't start until the 1st of the year so I'm looking to get my learn on now . . .

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a good beginner’s book for wine? Descriptions of varietals and comparisons of similar varietals or identical varietals from different terrior would be great.
I'm looking into taking a few wine classes at a local CC, but they won't start until the 1st of the year so I'm looking to get my learn on now . . .

Making Sense of Wine by Matt Kramer seems like a nice entry book. It doesn't really compare the varietals -- at least I think so, shamefully I have to admit that I just have read 20-30% of it yet --, but it's good for beginners. All in all, trying out wines is the only thing that will give you a better idea. What has been said many times in this thread and what's true is that you shouldn't focus solely about varietals/grapes but more on regions.

Last edited:

Quatsch

Reaction score

What's left to pick at Rhys? Horseshoe? I really enjoy Kevin's tweets re: this vintage. Really cool to see how dynamic the decision to pick is.

Just the Syrah. The last ton of Pinot came in today. It's been very exciting - a big crop of outstanding quality and a near perfect vintage.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meh. Didn't like it at all. Guess I can't appreciate white Burgundy yet. Tasted flat, flat, flat. Maybe a hint of butter/nut, but overall just boring, and not in a good way. Again a little oxidized, I think.

Well that is a cidre Sydre. Delicious.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:). I didn't know that. I thought Jura was famous for Vin Jaune but didn't know they were exclusive

I figured it was worth a try.

Having this right now

ypu2ure2.jpg

Really young. Soft tannins. Lots of baking spices up front. Moderate acidity. Light red fruit.

It's pretty decent

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a vin jaune

What are you doing with it? I still haven't opened mine, but my friend opened some, and we ate comte with it, which was awesome. I have a bunch of recipes that call for it in sauces.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member