• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
lol, i just sent you an e-mail about the details of the hardware used (other then the buckle). maybe you can respond in the forum so we all know for those that are interested. edit: and what is the consensus on the tip? have you gotten that far yet?
OK then! The only hardware other than the buckle would be the rivets at the fold should Unlucky choose to do so - and this will most likely involve the use of hand-hammered copper rivets. I will let everyone know should I hear differently in the short future. I've only received a few e-mails regarding the tip at this stage, and most seem to prefer the simple variation B options. I think most people don't have any strong preferences (neither do I.) I will report the results in update no. 3, but ultimately Unlucky will have to make the decision (but I'm sure he will take our opinions into account
biggrin.gif
) But yes, join the club/cult if you want more details and past/future updates!
Originally Posted by enigma77
FYI we're actually starting a cult here. But it's really fun! Come on inside. :koolaid:
We have almost 40 members! That's a lot of belts to make...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
okay, thanks mike. i was just wondering if he planned to use chicago screws. is that something he would be open to? if not, its totally cool.

mikecch

Reaction score
okay, thanks mike. i was just wondering if he planned to use chicago screws. is that something he would be open to? if not, its totally cool.

Given that the buckle fold will also been sewn together permanently (details yet to be confirmed), Chicago screws will loose their function in buckle interchangeability. Punch through riveting seems like the way to go, at least at this stage.

mikecch

Reaction score
I'm not setting a cap at this moment in time, but I will see whether unlucky would like to set a limit.

I am working on the assumption that around 50 to 75% of the people on the list will make an order, and experience from the last group order tells me that lots of people will try and order one after the group order belts are released into the wild.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that is so unfair to tease us mikey!
smile.gif
so how about a early christmas update ... perhaps with the actual buckle pics? come on!
smile.gif

agent.5

Reaction score
Pretty. Any thought on using a single 15oz leather vs stitching 2 pieces of 8oz leather together? If so, you can use a nicer piece of leather on the outside and a lesser quality one on the inside. Also, stitch patterns can be very interesting.

mikecch

Reaction score
that is so unfair to tease us mikey!
smile.gif

so how about a early christmas update ... perhaps with the actual buckle pics? come on!
smile.gif

Hehehehe, I will send out an update after Christmas
smile.gif

The prototype was just pressed and finished by Scott yesterday (it's what you see in the pic above), but the edges, pattern of steel, backside pin/keeper finishes aren't finalised yet...

I'll send you guys more details once they're available!

Originally Posted by agent.5
Pretty. Any thought on using a single 15oz leather vs stitching 2 pieces of 8oz leather together? If so, you can use a nicer piece of leather on the outside and a lesser quality one on the inside. Also, stitch patterns can be very interesting.

The leather at this stage looks like it will be a 15 or 17 oz leather (I think this is mentioned in the update) - Scott is sampling a few different types, and I'll let you guys know what the results are when I hear from him.

We're set on a single layer design - it is a more durable construct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads