• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love everything about the Carrara cut except for the shirt sleeve shoulders!

Did your jacket come out with shirt sleeve and soft shoulder?

I find the Carrara shoulder more classic and less shirt sleeve like than No Man’s previous tailoring options (Formosa and Eidos) and much more classic (less shirty) than The Armoury’s Ring Jacket models.

I’ll see if I can get some side by side pics over the holiday break.

Mine came with the shirt sleeve but I don’t care for the look on heavy tweeds or suits.

Interesting, I've found the opposite, though that only speaks to Ring's Model 3 and NM's RTW Carrara fits.
Obviously, nobody is confusing either model for having roped shoulders, but I find (at least on my frame), that NM's seems more poofy/shirt shouldery than Ring's, which presents a (very) slight appearance of roping.
Here’s a few side by sides in different cloths. Note on the Carrara jackets, I did not ask them to build up, or soften their standard shoulder on any of the below.

From left to right, RJ mid weight Model 6 (same shoulder as Model 3), Carrara in M&E undyed, RJ Model 3 Ballon cloth.

IMG_9199.jpeg

Left to right, RJ Model 3 in flannel, Carrara in flannel, and an Orazio (herringbone tweed) for comparison

IMG_9200.jpeg

A tale of three hi twists; From left to right, RJ model 3 in Fox Air, Carrara in Huddersfield Fresco, RJ model 3 in Fox Air

IMG_9201.jpeg

Heres me in the grey Fox air RJ
1703721062600.jpeg

Here’s the Carrara Fresco
1703721211081.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few side by sides in different cloths. Note on the Carrara jackets, I did not ask them to build up, or soften their standard shoulder on any of the below.

From left to right, RJ mid weight Model 6 (same shoulder as Model 3), Carrara in M&E undyed, RJ Model 3 Ballon cloth.

View attachment 2099203

Left to right, RJ Model 3 in flannel, Carrara in flannel, and an Orazio (herringbone tweed) for comparison

View attachment 2099213

A tale of three hi twists; From left to right, RJ model 3 in Fox Air, Carrara in Huddersfield Fresco, RJ model 3 in Fox Air

View attachment 2099217
Heres me in the grey Fox air RJ
View attachment 2099219

Here’s the Carrara Fresco
View attachment 2099221
The shirt sleeve shoulders on the Orazio are better executed.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Just passed U street and saw Ezra Paul’s store with stuff covering the windows. Does anyone know if he’s moving locations?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with a women’s tailor in DC? I have an 18 year-old who has clearly been paying attention over the past 10-plus years and is interested in having a suit made.
Not sure if this is helpful, but William field can make for ladies. Any true bespoke tailor, really, could make a ladies garment. As for mtm, it’s about their pattern & whether it matches the body. And I mean true bespoke tailors who build a pattern from scratch not the used Bentley salesman masquerading as “bespoke” tailors really selling cheap mtm in china crap (which unfortunately has become commonplace in America).

P. Johnson (aka Sartoria carrera) has a mtm storefront in New York which does mtm. That’s probably where I’d start. I think it really depends on your budget.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with a women’s tailor in DC? I have an 18 year-old who has clearly been paying attention over the past 10-plus years and is interested in having a suit made.
Ezra Paul can do tailoring for ladies.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful, but William field can make for ladies. Any true bespoke tailor, really, could make a ladies garment. As for mtm, it’s about their pattern & whether it matches the body. And I mean true bespoke tailors who build a pattern from scratch not the used Bentley salesman masquerading as “bespoke” tailors really selling cheap mtm in china crap (which unfortunately has become commonplace in America).

P. Johnson (aka Sartoria carrera) has a mtm storefront in New York which does mtm. That’s probably where I’d start. I think it really depends on your budget.
For Sartoria Carrara go through No Man Walks Alone. They will do it right.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Sartoria Carrara go through No Man Walks Alone. They will do it right.

Sartoria Carrara is p. Johnson, I believe. I’m not sure if carrera does ladies wear. I know I’ve seen p. Johnson doing ladies wear. Just giving op things to look into.

I think Sartoria Carrara was created by p Johnson (at least this is my understanding) to sound more Italian & sell more of the fantasy of Italy. I had never heard of Carrara until no man walks alone replaced Formosa with them a few years back. I was planning a trip to Italy, and looked into them out of curiosity - they don’t have a shop in Florence (they say they’re based out of Tuscany), Milan or anywhere in the major cities (at least that I could find). But I don’t fault them for adopting an Italian sounding name to sell suits. Anyways, that’s where I’d start if proper bespoke is out of your price range.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sartoria Carrara is p. Johnson, I believe. I’m not sure if carrera does ladies wear. I know I’ve seen p. Johnson doing ladies wear. Just giving op things to look into.

I think Sartoria Carrara was created by p Johnson (at least this is my understanding) to sound more Italian & sell more of the fantasy of Italy. I had never heard of Carrara until no man walks alone replaced Formosa with them a few years back. I was planning a trip to Italy, and looked into them out of curiosity - they don’t have a shop in Florence (they say they’re based out of Tuscany), Milan or anywhere in the major cities (at least that I could find). But I don’t fault them for adopting an Italian sounding name to sell suits. Anyways, that’s where I’d start if proper bespoke is out of your price range.
Yes, I know they are owned by P Johnson. NMWA customer service and skills are excellent. Go with what is proven to work.

Also, looks like P Johnson just took over an existing factory and rebranded it. From the P Johnson reply to suit review: “We focused on working with a number of workshops in Italy (including our current Carrara workshop which was then called Sartoria Toscana).”

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member