• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6757.jpeg

Whiskey PTB on Barrie with Commando

Happy Friday!

BAK

Reaction score
Movie still promo for new film The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Alden boots on Henry Golding’s character? I think probably not since that quarter stitch appears to be positioned a bit high. What do you guys think?
View attachment 2170463
Pretty sure both Henry Golding and Alan Ritchson are wearing Tricker's.
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 5.26.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 5.29.57 PM.png

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question.

I feel a bit silly asking this, as I've been on here long enough, and have more than my fair share of Aldens. What are your sizing experiences in the long(ish) term? I've found that lately my older Indys (~4 years), particularly those in suede, aren't fitting me quite like they used to. They're notably tighter and generally uncomfortable to wear for a full day. I've bought newer suedes and they fit great - same size, same last. I've also noticed my shells - again, same size and same last - are fine, whether they're older or newer.

Anyone else experience different fits with different leathers, and different fits with newer vs. older pairs that you may have?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question.

I feel a bit silly asking this, as I've been on here long enough, and have more than my fair share of Aldens. What are your sizing experiences in the long(ish) term? I've found that lately my older Indys (~4 years), particularly those in suede, aren't fitting me quite like they used to. They're notably tighter and generally uncomfortable to wear for a full day. I've bought newer suedes and they fit great - same size, same last. I've also noticed my shells - again, same size and same last - are fine, whether they're older or newer.

Anyone else experience different fits with different leathers, and different fits with newer vs. older pairs that you may have?

20 pound weight gain/loss can affect footwear fit by half a size. Source: sterlingindigo

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally coming back to Alden boots after several years. I had a pair of 403s that I loved and wore a lot. Then I sent them back to be refurbished by Alden, who completely ruined the boots!
Anyway, all water under bridge at this point, and I decided to open up the wallet for the new “Roy” boots from Alden Madison. The Roy boot was originally done by context clothing, of course, but they’re out of business and I guess Madison produces them on occasion now. I had tried a pair of context’s Roy boots back in the day, but it was a 10D and a little too long for me. Since Madison offered E widths, I decided to try 9 1/2 E and I think these will work.
Looking forward to breaking them in and putting some wear on them. I know the crêpe sole, and probably even more so the leather toe tap, will not be hard wearing, but I hope they last a decent amount of time. Esp given my last attempt at resoling Aldens!

Attachments

• IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9517.jpeg
    IMG_9517.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

slows2k

Reaction score
Finally coming back to Alden boots after several years. I had a pair of 403s that I loved and wore a lot. Then I sent them back to be refurbished by Alden, who completely ruined the boots!
Anyway, all water under bridge at this point, and I decided to open up the wallet for the new “Roy” boots from Alden Madison. The Roy boot was originally done by context clothing, of course, but they’re out of business and I guess Madison produces them on occasion now. I had tried a pair of context’s Roy boots back in the day, but it was a 10D and a little too long for me. Since Madison offered E widths, I decided to try 9 1/2 E and I think these will work.
Looking forward to breaking them in and putting some wear on them. I know the crêpe sole, and probably even more so the leather toe tap, will not be hard wearing, but I hope they last a decent amount of time. Esp given my last attempt at resoling Aldens!

If the Roy boot is your thing, take a look at the Villager Boot from Leffot. Same specs with leather soles and currently offered in shell and snuff suede.

Enjoy the boots!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Roy boot is your thing, take a look at the Villager Boot from Leffot. Same specs with leather soles and currently offered in shell and snuff suede.

Enjoy the boots!

Dang, that’s a nice boot……….

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads