• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Don’t wear these nearly as often as I should. Admittedly it’s because I’m not a fan of the leisure sole. What are y’all’s preferences for more supportive/tougher soles for suede chukkas?

Attachments

• IMG_6222.jpeg
    IMG_6222.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 33

CLH03

Reaction score
Don’t wear these nearly as often as I should. Admittedly it’s because I’m not a fan of the leisure sole. What are y’all’s preferences for more supportive/tougher soles for suede chukkas?
The double leather they use for the shell chukkas are about as supportive as it gets. IMO, the Leisure III still have more support than the completely unstructured leydon chukkas with the flex welt.

DG123

Reaction score
Chukka boots are designed for leisure time wear, so for more supportive outdoor wear footwear Alden has other models such as the Indy Boot or All Weather Walker.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Chukka boots are designed for leisure time wear, so for more supportive outdoor wear footwear Alden has other models such as the Indy Boot or All Weather Walker.
This isn't so much about "supportive outdoor wear" so much as getting a bit more support in general. The leisure soles are definitely not my friend when I do any real amount of walking.

CLH03

Reaction score
This isn't so much about "supportive outdoor wear" so much as getting a bit more support in general. The leisure soles are definitely not my friend when I do any real amount of walking.
Commando is never a bad choice either

Satoman1

Reaction score
Alden for Brooks Brothers.
BTW I always find blue suede is hard to wear, especially on chukka boots. I wonder if blue suede can be dyed to other colors like brown or only just black possible ?
20240320_141317~2.jpg
20240320_144337272.jpg

sirsigsalot

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I haven't found any definitive information in my searches.

In comparing size/fit of flat vs storm welts, do the flat welts tend to fit smaller than storm welt?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I haven't found any definitive information in my searches.

In comparing size/fit of flat vs storm welts, do the flat welts tend to fit smaller than storm welt?
No.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience, a definite yes.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score

In my experience, a definite yes.

Same. All my shoes/boots with a flat welt fit tighter than my shoes/boots with pre-stitch reverse well, in the exact same size and last.

JTMD

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've purchased Alden's. I sort of moved on to "bigger and better"..but that's not to say the 6 pairs of Alden's in my collection of 50 some pairs don't see regular use. My shell George boots and medallion cap toe derbies (both in 8) were amongst my first purchases and are still going strong after about 15 years...and then I'm walking past a shop today and see short wings and plain toe derbies (both in 8 again) on sale at half price for $495. Of course I don't have much choice but to purchase them..but part of me wishes I had more restraint and just put the money on those Edward Green Galways I've been contemplating the past few years.. but how often do you find Alden shell at such a price point..and I'm sure they'll get some good use anyways.. not as if I expect EG to discontinue one of their best sellers anytime soon anyways.
20240320_112449.jpg
20240320_112936.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member