• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don’t know what is the official difference but this is chalk stripe to me (wider and on flannel so fuzzy with texture rather than worsted)

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked it up, not sure of the difference between narrow width pinstripe and chalkstripe

I dig this, exactly what I was looking for!

This is pinstripe I think?
@FlyingHorker I absolutely love Aaron's style. He has been interviewed a couple of times and he says that he tries to create tension between tailoring and casual wear. I find it a bit hard to pull off, though I'll keep trying. Maybe it's my lack of a beard 😆.

I think you could, though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t know what is the official difference but this is chalk stripe to me (wider and on flannel so fuzzy with texture rather than worsted)

Ah ok gotcha, thank you.

The two I own are narrow pinstripe, barely perceptible, and another thicker one.
@FlyingHorker I absolutely love Aaron's style. He has been interviewed a couple of times and he says that he tries to create tension between tailoring and casual wear. I find it a bit hard to pull off, though I'll keep trying. Maybe it's my lack of a beard 😆.

I think you could, though.
Some of it looks easy enough to do. @clee1982 and others appear to do a mish mash of tailoring, western, and sleaze vibes.

I bought a pair of black wranglers and black round toe western roper boots.

Will mess around with these looks.

I'm not sure a beard is required.

Also inspired by LabelKing (page 1 of this thread)

I'm also thinking about a silk shirt. I know @UrbanComposition helped a brand develop one, but I can't remember the name

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about a silk shirt. I know @UrbanComposition helped a brand develop one, but I can't remember the name
IMG_0143.png

The blue/gray suit paired with Post-Romantic silk shirt, good sleazy vibes.​

That's the one I'm wearing here, from Post-Romantic Co.
MTO, made in India, 100% silk, 115$ including shipping worldwide.
I very much recommend it, it's a lovely shirt at an outstanding price.

(I also believe they are open to custom orders both in other designs and colors)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yea Post-Romantic Co.'s silk shirt (with customization too) is crazy cheap.

black wranglers and black roper boot should be easy to pair with lots of things, LabelKing's look would work too, but he is very specific (while I for lack of better word just all over the place...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and if someone wants to play for a bit different look, some 6x1 on B&S (this also looked a bit more "Tamed" than Cifonelli 6x1)

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

(I also believe they are open to custom orders both in other designs and colors)
Love the look. I'm going to order it.

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I think the 38 with shortened sleeves would be good.
But please don't wear it with a shirt and tie like that, that thing should be paired with tees, casual knitwear and sneakers.
Thanks for feedback. I tried it with a grey t-shirt and sunglasses and it looked quite cool. The 38 looked better in that case. I was unsure about the size as the 38 looked too big from what i'm used to, but when you see the "Take That" guy, Mark in the video above, his is far looser, so I need to think a bit bolder. I guess the relaxed nature of the suit does not pair well with a smart shirt and silk tie. There might be other options like a thin scarf or something?

I was still wearing the same tie when I tried this brown corduroy jacket in 36 from the same maker (not sure if the the tie works better here or not but I think it might more than with the green suit?). It has a more conventional slim shape but now I think it may be too small for me? It feels OK in shoulders and chest but there is not much room round the centre and the button is pulling a bit. I like it a lot but perhaps it should be more relaxed and looser and I should return it as there is no size up available?

I really struggle to assess sizing and keep making mistakes often buying items too small that I don't wear so any advice here would be very helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 139

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome man.

I see that the shirt is dry clean only? Is that how you cleaned the shirt?

A bit hesitant to order when I saw that.

On the other hand, the price is just low enough to where I'd risk washing it in the machine.

Does it have a sheen in person?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was still wearing the same tie when I tried this brown corduroy jacket in 36 from the same maker (not sure if the the tie works better here or not but I think it might more than with the green suit?). It has a more conventional slim shape but now I think it may be too small for me? It feels OK in shoulders and chest but there is not much room round the centre and the button is pulling a bit. I like it a lot but perhaps it should be more relaxed and looser and I should return it as there is no size up available?

To my eye that’s too small - in particular the buttoning point on the jacket is too high even though the sleeve length looks OK. It’s an issue with many Italian brands / Italian inspired RTW tailoring, the sleeves are long compared to the body which makes it better to get the right body length and shorten the sleeves.

More generally - I would be careful trying to get a relaxed vibe with structured tailoring. You can dress it down with a knit t-shirt or polo, but you’re not going to change the shape of the garment.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do keep in mind that you'll want a slightly looser fit with silk compared to a cotton poplin or such, there's 0 stretch and it'll drape nicer with a bit of extra room. I like my shirt a lot but for future orders I'd give myself a bit more room all around.

Awesome man.
I see that the shirt is dry clean only? Is that how you cleaned the shirt?

A bit hesitant to order when I saw that.

On the other hand, the price is just low enough to where I'd risk washing it in the machine.

Does it have a sheen in person?
Honestly I haven't worn it enough to clean it yet, it keeps cool on its own and just airing it out so far has worked well. I'd dry-clean it though when that is needed.

I'd say "glow" is a better description than sheen, it's a very nice silk.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I remember correctly you enter your body measurements on the site but I'd follow up directly with them to talk about what kind of fit you're going for. The owner called me and we had a great conversation. I think I actually hinted to him that he could raise the price haha -- still an amazing value. The end result turned out great for me (i.e. relaxed in a good way).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads