• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selective logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ender

Reaction score
At the risk of being inflammatory with my first post, has the possibility that kalra is living out a fantasy life on this board crossed anyone's mind?  I haven't been reading through here long, so perhaps there are lots of good reasons why this is not the case.  However, I just have a hard time believing that someone as important as the "British Royal Family, and many other such people" could find nothing better to do than post every 5-10 minutes on this topic.  I also know few wealthy people who are so tacky about their wealth.  The exception might be some young ones - but karla implied that he's not in this group when he indicated his accountants and lawyers had to be reminded of their "experince [sic] in life (they tend to be in their mid twentys)."  Are we supposed to believe he spends half his time as a global steel tycoon and the other half on this board showing off?

Again, don't mean to cause trouble - kalra, if you aren't an invention, I'd suggest toning it down a little.  You come across pretty insufferable.  

Really enjoy everyone's comments/povs here (present topic notwithstanding) - thanks.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the risk of being inflammatory with my first post, has the possibility that kalra is living out a fantasy life on this board crossed anyone's mind? I haven't been reading through here long, so perhaps there are lots of good reasons why this is not the case. However, I just have a hard time believing that someone as important as the "British Royal Family, and many other such people" could find nothing better to do than post every 5-10 minutes on this topic. I also know few wealthy people who are so tacky about their wealth. The exception might be some young ones - but karla implied that he's not in this group when he indicated his accountants and lawyers had to be reminded of their "experince [sic] in life (they tend to be in their mid twentys)." Are we supposed to believe he spends half his time as a global steel tycoon and the other half on this board showing off? Again, don't mean to cause trouble - kalra, if you aren't an invention, I'd suggest toning it down a little. You come across pretty insufferable. Really enjoy everyone's comments/povs here (present topic notwithstanding) - thanks.
I think that has crossed everyone's mind, but as I posted earlier, I really do not give a flying fig if he is who he says he is. This discussion is primarily abstract with being NM as the only real anchor, I only indulge myself in conversation because it allows me to practice my wits and keep my mind fairly sharp whilst school is out and I await the next semester (less than eagerly, no one likes school, right? Right?
wink.gif
) Jon.

bryce330

Reaction score
At the risk of being inflammatory with my first post, has the possibility that kalra is living out a fantasy life on this board crossed anyone's mind?  
That has crossed my mind more than a few times, and not only for the reasons you mentioned (i.e. the amount of free time he apparently has to post on this board and the repeated mentions of his alleged wealth). His spelling and grammatical skills are closer to those of a teenager for whom English is a second language than those of a wealthy, jetsetting executive - LA Guy had an excellent post a few weeks ago on this point. He also demonstrates a need to engage in juvenile games, such as on the thread where he was goading people into trying to guess his identity, or on the thread about his cars. Finally, many of his claims about how the incredibly wealthy (i.e. himself) live are somewhat dubious, such as the assertions on this thread that they pay for everything in cash, including purchases in the thousands of dollars. Nevertheless, like ImageWIS said, I really don't care who he is; for the most part, he treats people with respect and he adds to the entertainment value of the board.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something an accountant would say to me, or a company lawyer, and I have to once again remind them of both their company position, and also experince in life (they tend to be in their mid twentys)
Hello Mister Rich and Smartey Old Man.

Estimates are good because they allow managers to make decisions. They allow companies to make decisions. They allow people in charge to see where the money's going. Estimates are useful. Do not underestimate estimates.

People in "inferior" stations in life or those younger than you old fogeys know a lot. Money and age are excuses abused by the old and stupid. Living in a patriarchal society, where age is revered more than intelligence, I can say that I'd prefer to gauge people on the basis of individual merit, because we have far too many old guys in important positions who refuse to believe that the world actually changed in the past fifty years. (Things are changing, of course, as time goes on and the old guys eventually retire.)

kalra2411

Reaction score
I am sorry to say; but infantile people plainly rely on erudite theories, they have no factual experience.

Ender, notwithstanding the fact that you life is probably dire as it is, due to the fact that you see to pass eccentric meaningless affront upon me. Who ever said you are the world authority on how the wealthy ought to behave. I would watch what you say; we have already been through this on the forum. I remain of the opinion, believe if you like. If you do not is it merely your loss.

Jon, the fact that you seem to think it is simple to be rich is simply the ideas of someone who is unacquainted with the veracity of life. Have you ever stopped to consider that you, a student, are teaching someone like me things, does that not obscure in its simplicity?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to say; but infantile people plainly rely on erudite theories, they have no factual experience.

Ender, notwithstanding the fact that you life is probably dire as it is, due to the fact that you see to pass eccentric meaningless affront upon me. Who ever said you are the world authority on how the wealthy ought to behave. I would watch what you say; we have already been through this on the forum. I remain of the opinion, believe if you like. If you do not is it merely your loss.

Jon, the fact that you seem to think it is simple to be rich is simply the ideas of someone who is unacquainted with the veracity of life. Have you ever stopped to consider that you, a student, are teaching someone like me things, does that not obscure in its simplicity?
Ahhh. The "Gekko" (from the GQ Forum) of the style forum, very much under the impression that his flatulence isnt malodorous.

Of course on the GQ forum its more like His "Fa%$s dont stink", but its the same concept, different forum, merely a matter of semantics

I knew it existed here somewhere, just hadn't seen it.

Have a great day all.

JJF

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Needless to say, on the Internet, we can be whoever we want to be. We judge you only by your words, and your words aren't helping us see you in a positive light.

Anyways, I think this thread has been derailed. Bleh.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I do however wonder who started the affront. If you want to be spoken to politely and decently, you should watch what you say.

much money you actually have, no?

Therefore, so what if Coutts is not good enough for you as a status symbol, the affluent British public cannot be wrong.

I mean if someone wanted to purchase 10 tons of iron ore, but only wanted to pay in either gold bouillon or diamonds, would that not seem a bit odd (at least from a business standpoint)?

Yeah, perhaps you ought to learn some etiquette when speaking to someone of such stature; NOBODY would ever say such a thing to me, in such an acerbic tone in person, so why would I invite you to do so. When people speak to me, I am used to receiving the utmost respect, so why should I take it from someone like you. I can just imagine the headlines, student tries to teach Mittal how to do buisness. You may well see this as arrogance, but I bloody well deserve to be arrogant.

Perhaps if I use something from the Bhagavad-Gita instead?

Now that is just going too far, if there is indeed such a thing as God (which I choose to believe). What was he doing in the interim period between the beginning of time and Jesus? Did he suddenly wake up in 0AD? Your religion (Christianity) suggests this. At least not that Hinduism has been around since the beginning of recorded time. Why do make such idiosyncratic comments, and still expect me to be polite to you.

When did I say that America was the only country in the world? On the contrary my argument was quite international, especially by bringing three different continents and one less than used credit interchange (in America) into the discussion.

Obviously, your brain cannot stretch to even realise what you said yourself, note that you are of the opinion that wealthy people would pay with a credit card. This in any other part of the world would suggest that you could not afford the items, and want to pay for them when they can (in the case of AMEX this may well be at the end of the month, but it is still after the event). In the vast majority of places (excluding of course America) it is regarded as low class to borrow money (on a personal level, not a business level, ALL successful businesses have/have had loans). Therefore, you are only considering the American view. Moreover, you were not ready to accept it until others re-instated my views.

Whatever respect you might have retained was finally lost here.  

BTW, your welcome.

Rider, please do realise that being excessively patriotic is regarded as a mental streak in most countries. Of course, America is the exception to this because everyone is insecure of his or her background ET cetera.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, perhaps you ought to learn some etiquette when speaking to someone of such stature; NOBODY would ever say such a thing to me, in such an acerbic tone in person, so why would I invite you to do so. When people speak to me, I am used to receiving the utmost respect, so why should I take it from someone like you. I can just imagine the headlines, student tries to teach Mittal how to do buisness. You may well see this as arrogance, but I bloody well deserve to be arrogant.
Excuse me, but does being born into a family of wealth make one "deserving" of arrogance? (assuming that arrogance is a trait that is "deserving" of anyone),

Dont flatter yourself, the respect YOU get is not respect for you but rather respect (fear and/or Awe) for your money.  True respect is attained by one who respects others and is therefore respected and revered by them as well.

Want proof?  Should LNMH fold, you would be easily disregarded by your current underlings, dont kid yourself.

And I agree with Alias.  Thread has been derailed. Bleh.

JJF

EDITED FOR PS: Your tie if way off to the right in your Avatar. Either that or your body is off to the left.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm just giggling to myself on how people are debating information that came practically straight from the horse's mouth. Sure, that 800k figure might be an estimate, but it came from the upper-level management of NM... So, we have one talking head attacking another talking head about how he's making up all these silly estimates because he's apparently a dumb young poor American poopy-head when in fact that estimate came from the company. To lighten the mood, I will show you guys a wonderful picture that I feel would be extremely appropriate to illustrate, through use of comedy, how far this thread has fallen.
richbender.jpg
vvvv At least he made good arguments in the beginning. How he managed to let go of that and start talking about money and age is beyond me. I like good arguments that can be backed up with evidence. Simply saying "I know better because I'm older and richer" is pretty facetious and not worthy of much positive attention.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The old adage of: "more money, more problems" was simply created by those with means to dissuade those without to think that their life would be more complex with money and thus keep them from reaching their level. Like the football player, which goes on a television interview and says, "you don't know the problems that come with $12 million a year". Compared to what? When he was living in the ghetto and barely making enough money to eat? Such rubbish.

Your automatic disrespectful adjustment of typing tonality came after I mentioned that I was a student, and in my early twenty's. Perhaps it would behoove you to read "˜The World of Yesterday' by Stefan Zweig, you will easily notice how the demoted ideas of age is better than intelligence all but disappeared between the first and second world wars.

You take too many liberties when assuming certain aspects of my personal life and generalized ideas to properly infer on the situation, at least regarding this topic.

My comment regarding the Bhagavad-Gita was only to deflect towards your innuendo that my logic is simple because of my use of a quote from Lewis Carroll.

Again, you are decidedly biased towards America; it is you not I (nor us, the other people participating on this thread) that constantly bring this up. Arguments are made by point and counterpoint; simply blaming things on you perception of the American "˜society' and all it encompasses and it's many facets is neither the use of point nor counterpoint, nay it has a decidedly childish manner about it.

Treat people as you wish to be treated. If you decide that you are god-incarnate, may I suggest that you try this approach with at least your employees, they are getting paid, whilst I am here to share sartorial information, not argue needlessly. For someone "˜seemingly' in your position, you seem to lack certain basic mannerisms that come with the position of running a global steel empire.

To be awed by money is moronic. When you or I or anyone else on the forum are dead and buried, the worms will eat our bodies regardless if we were billionaires or simply poor beggars on the streets of Calcutta. Your end all to be all is simply money and the acquisition of more money.

Does your arrogance extend this far, sir?

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, yeah regarding NM, they should accept the same credit cards everyone else does, it would not only make sense in keeping the same motif (at least regarding what their website vs. store accept as payment) but, also would allow for a flexibility that will ultimately attract more customers.

Jon.

kalra2411

Reaction score
When I am dead and gone, my legacy will live on. Forever, you cannot stop it, when you take about India's wealthiest families; such as Birla, Ambani, Jayal, Tata, Thapar. They have all been around for many generations; the Mittal Empire may be relatively new, but the dynasty will continue. Why you will of certainty ask, the reason that my empire is not going to fall like many others - that of course it the trade secret, I cannot reveal.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Oh, yeah regarding NM, they should accept the same credit cards everyone else does, it would not only make sense in keeping the same motif (at least regarding what their website vs. store accept as payment) but, also would allow for a flexibility that will ultimately attract more customers.

Jon.
You sound like a broken record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics