• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Probably less inflation and more just a recovery from the bush recession.

+1. I'd say it's a number of complex factors... changing demographics (including emerging markets with little fashion historical memory, a lot of cash, and a desire for brand names), increased exposure and spending on huge boutiques and adverts, greater expansion/distribution of aftermarket and sales areas (which means they can mark things down multiple times without hurting their bottom line), increased influence of "private equity" firms or non-fashion related conglomerates owning the brands, etc.

I'd say inflation has little or nothing to do with it; many of these items are nearly twice now what they were a few years ago (check out some of the watch threads in MC and how prices have gone up.) Likewise if you happen to find an LV, Chanel, or Hermes catalogue or pricelist from previous seasons.

Overall, it's pretty fascinating and I wonder if any actual studies or investigations have been done into it, beyond just "OMG things are so expensive!"

Last edited:

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, some of the $12k RTW dresses are already sold out. This looks very plain to me. Is it because it's Hedi's first collection? I think if he turns YSL flavor similar to what he did with Dior men, it will not be good. I don't see YSL customers in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s would want to look like rockstars.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

wow, some of the $12k RTW dresses are already sold out. This looks very plain to me. Is it because it's Hedi's first collection? I think if he turns YSL flavor similar to what he did with Dior men, it will not be good. I don't see YSL customers in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s would want to look like rockstars.

Maybe it's just :tinfoil: but I wonder sometimes if they don't mark some things "sold out" on purpose to give the appearance of hype/demand. Obviously, I have no idea, but I can't really see how, where, or why people buy $12k items online. Folks in the market for that go to the boutiques, where they have established relationships with the sales associates. Kids with $$$ in the rural provinces who want "ZOMG YSL" buy logo-besmirched tshirts online... but not couture or $12k items.

p.s. love the Thiebaud!

p.p.s. as for "ysl customers in the 40's-90's", honestly I don't think there are any. Those who were have long since moved on, or gone to bespoke. Since YSl himself shut down the couture line, and Gucci Group bought the brand, the old guard customers stopped paying attention. TF introduced YSl to an entirely new audience, cultivated further by Pilati. Hedi's job is to keep them interested before their short attention spans move on to whatever else there is out there (and there's a LOT out there); hype and provenance will get you one, maybe two seasons... but beyond that, he'll have to do something else or people aren't going to hang around.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's saying sold out at first but it really means not yet available. they're slowly posting stuff. i think some of it really did sell out though. they're trying to manufacture hype i think.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was perusing the site and I really like some of the denim, especially the black jeans...think they're raw, MIJ. The price isn't bad like $400 something.

The only problem is I wonder about the sizing. I wear 28 in Dior raw denim, 17.5cm cut. The SLPs are 16cm...I haven't worn something which such a small leg opening. Do others have experience with such a cut? I'm thinking as a runner I might not be able to pull them off.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol they're 16cm? Yikes. I would guess true to size since YSL has some pretty solid production facilities but there's no way to know for sure.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty amazing that you wear size 25 PS. Karl Lagerfeld would be jealous (as am I).

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get how these relate. "True to size" is a design decision, not a manufacturing variance.

Well, you're half right. It can be either.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if that belt/chain thing in the Skinny lookbook posted upthread is an actual item that's going to be in production?

]
003.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention that -- I was also wondering. Like it a lot for some reason.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to the YSL store near me yesterday, but couldn't see anything. They said the stuff won't be in the Japanese stores for several months.

edit; one note of interest for me will be if the prices stay the same. On the Online store, it looks like they've simply translated prices directly from the current exchange out of Euros... so the $5200 jacket is 498,000 yen. Generally, there is a heavy markup with designer goods in Japan, so I'll be curious if this price stays the same in the Japanese boutiques.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads