• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You know I was being sarcastic about the "it changed my life" thing, but some records I really loved...
When I was 14-16 I listened to Op Ivy's "Energy" and Rancid's "And Out Come the Wolves..." more than anything else. People like to make fun of these, but I don't care. I didn't even think of it as punk rock so much as just rock n roll. It was awesome when I was a kid. I still like good chunks of both.
"OK Computer" blew me away when it came out. That opened me up to a whole lot of other music. It's probably the album I've listened to more than any other.
"Sanctuary" by Arvo Part had a big influence on me. It's a selection of Part's work. It introduced me to minimalism and opened up the world of classical music to me.
I guess I can add Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" to the list. It's probably the last record that I really felt that kind of connection with. That was a few years ago. I was obviously late in finding it, and it's really not the type of music I normally gravitate to, but I really liked it.
There's been plenty of other stuff I've really liked along the way, including Nirvana, Minor Threat, selections of Joy Division and New Order, Led Zeppelin (haha, Zeppelin always makes me laugh), Jean Sibelius, The XX
I should probably give more of a chance to Godspeed. Mogwai I always kinda liked but never really got into.

Yeah I remember occasionally also listening to Rancid and the like with like BMX kids and stuff, and it was fun. Important to have music like that in your lifetime for sure.

One of the more fun ways to get a feel for someone's personality is to ask them what their favorite Radiohead album is, it's usually pretty on point.

If you're on the fence with Mogwai, I can see it going two ways - more towards Godspeed, or more towards Explosions in the Sky. Based on your Radiohead selection I would say stick with EITS. ooh or Slint!!

I love New Order :nodding: I'll just leave it at that I guess haha

Some other good 80's sounds that bridge some stuff you might like are Talk Talk's later recordings. Pretty conceptual stuff for the time but it's all really solid.

And EVERYBODY should have the complete discography of Galaxie 500. I think that transcends just about all musical tastes, and it's only 4 albums :) If you have to pick one I'd probably pick On Fire as a good one to start with. As far as all of the words I've written so far, I can dismiss them all if at least one person reading this gets this album and listens to it.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
artishard: I definitely had some NOFX in there and a bunch of other random Epitaph bands. Some of that stuff makes me cringe when I listen to it now. Haha. But damn, Warped Tour was so fun when I was a kid.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

artishard: I definitely had some NOFX in there and a bunch of other random Epitaph bands. Some of that stuff makes me cringe when I listen to it now. Haha. But damn, Warped Tour was so fun when I was a kid.

My bad religion pandora is my favorite work station.

If you're an aging ex-punker, check out Fucked Up, Iceage, Titus Andronicus, OFF! and Wavves.

Last edited:

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greg Graffin lives in my home town. Met him once or twice. I used to have a ton of autographed swag haha.

Add gallows to that list. So good.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're an aging ex-punker, check out Fucked Up, Iceage, Titus Andronicus, OFF! and Wavves.

Titus Andronicus is SO GOOD

Did anyone here love No Ca$h and Leftover Crack back in the day? Used to get me so pumped

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some super popular ones that most people have heard but you might not have! I give these a spin pretty regularly even though they are all old. I think The XX is the latest release
The XX - Self Titled
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Self Titled (I might get **** on for this one but I love this album through and through; not a fan of any of their others)
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam (One of my favorite records of all time, For Reverend Green > Fireworks might be my favorite back to back tracks ever)
more to come

I have a love/hate relationship with Animal Collective. They are a band that comes up with great "sounds" but they don't many any good "songs", if that makes any sense.

"The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" is one of my fave songs of all time. (0)

I've never listened to Modest Mouse. :hide:
By the way, anyone have some music they can recommend? I don't mean "I heard this and it was pretty cool." I mean "This whole record is incredible and it changed me to the core of my being and for the first time in my life I feel like a whole person." You know what I mean. I typically don't care much about hip-hop, so that's probably not the direction to head. I've probably listened to the obvious stuff—Neutral Milk Hotel seems to always come up as a response—but if there's something kinda under the radar feel free to throw it out there.

While I realize it's probably a lame pick that you've probably already listened to, Is This It changed my life. I stopped being a Top 40 guy and started to learn how to appreciate whole albums.

nomad

Reaction score
can't stand clap your hands say yeah, don't really buy new vinyl but I got warpaint the fool last year.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should really have SW&D films and music threads.

2012. SW&D autarky.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These seem like a weird mix of bands, all of them are very different imo, but all good.

I have a love/hate relationship with Animal Collective. They are a band that comes up with great "sounds" but they don't many any good "songs", if that makes any sense.
"The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" is one of my fave songs of all time. (0)
While I realize it's probably a lame pick that you've probably already listened to, Is This It changed my life. I stopped being a Top 40 guy and started to learn how to appreciate whole albums.

This is blasphemous. They are my favorite band and I can only see what you are talking about on things like Here Comes The Indian and before. Sung Tongs and forward are all expertly crafted pop songs.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

We should really have SW&D films and music threads.

2012. SW&D autarky.

i've realized that, due to its insular nature, sw&d is actually a mini-replica of the greater forum in which it resides. everything and anything here exists already, albeit tailored to suit the tastes of a subset of the million+ unique visitors / day the site receives.

i'm not sure how i feel about that yet...

in other news, second item in row i sell on ebay and the buyer is not paying / communicating. which one of you is ebay-trolling me :plain:

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the Drive in is back together, hell yeah!

Seconding (or thirding?) CoCa's SSTB and Strawberry Jam. I'll throw in Jeff Buckley's Grace, Arcade Fire's Suburbs, and Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

SSTB and Thursday's Full Collapse really opened up my musical interest in my formative years.

Last edited:

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the Drive in is back together, hell yeah!
Seconding (or thirding?) CoCa's SSTB and Strawberry Jam. I'll throw in Jeff Buckley's Grace, Arcade Fire's Suburbs, and Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
SSTB and Thursday's Full Collapse really opened up my musical interest in my formative years.

Funeral is way better than Suburbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads