• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

bemk

Reaction score
Gents,

I made this to give yet another idea about the colors, especially of the Tan. Having seen models in the store and now with my Pembroke and Coniston in the house, I find that the pictures from @JUAN MANUEL for example gave a very matching impression, while the web has endless variations and the official pictures from C&J show the Tan in my eyes and on my calibrated monitor in a too dark reddish, Chestnut-like brown.

Here are 3 cremes from Saphir for reference next to the boots:

01 / Marron Clair / Light Brown
37 / Marron Moyen / Medium Brown
05 / Marron Fonce /Dark Brown

Just like the boots are positioned between the cremes so are their colors.

I'm not one, who experiments with cremes and always look for a close match. In the C&J store they recommended 'Cognac' but as I love the Walnut-hue, I don't want to introduce a touch of red to the leather.
I think that Saphir's 'Light Hazelnut' , which I will probably order, looks closer to the Tan Coniston than the 'Tan', but given that the leather's color will fade over time, I guess the 'Medium Brown' will do a nice job also.

230716_19893_230715_19876_CrockettJones-Coniston-TSG-Saphir.jpg

Last edited:

Swell

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on new loafers. Tried today the C&J Harvard 2 in dark brown suede, but couldn’t decide due to sizing. I went into the shop after quite a long walk, about 20k steps in 25+ degrees, so I assume my feet were a bit more swollen compared to a typical office day. In 10.5 the length seemed perfect, no heel slip and fitted nicely, except the front seemed a bit tight and my pinky toe was pushing against the side and it also showed a slight contour of the pinky toe. Then I tried the 11, and it felt much roomier in the front which was very pleasant as I could splay my toes, but it did seems to be a tad on the large side and the heel of the shoe wasn’t exactly hugging the back of my heel, although when walking there was no heel slippage or anything, felt quite okay. I was wearing very thin socks, but in reality I would wear loafers mostly bare feet.

The dilemma is that with the 10.5 I suspect it might get uncomfortable after longer wear/walks, and in terms of aesthetics I also don’t like if you can see a pinky toe sticking out of the side of the shoe. I also was not convinced on the 11, because as said I tried the shoes after a long walk and perhaps on regular days they might get too roomy. Also noticed that with both shoes the sides were flaring out when walking, is that to be expected with loafers?

I also tried the Cavendish but these were even smaller in the front.

The last of the Harvard 2 does seem to suit my feet, wide forefoot and smaller heel, and a high toebox. As I have a mild form of claw toes I can’t wear most loafers as the toebox doesn’t have enough height.

Went on to Anatomica (in Paris). Asked to try on Alden loafers in brown suede, but the salesman told me they were not in stock and new stock could take a year to arrive. That was basically the end of conversation. Didn’t offer me to try on another pair while I informed him a might also consider cordovan, no further convo, so just went on as I don’t want to spend money at a shop with such bad customer service.

Any ideas if I should stick to either 10.5 or 11 C&J Harvard 2?

Or worthwhile to find another distributor of Alden, my concern with their lasts is that the heels seem to be very wide, which I would expect to be an issue in terms of heel slippage….

Any other recommendations for a loafer with a wide front, high toebox and smaller heel are welcome of course!

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I made this to give yet another idea about the colors, especially of the Tan. Having seen models in the store and now with my Pembroke and Coniston in the house, I find that the pictures from @JUAN MANUEL for example gave a very matching impression, while the web has endless variations and the official pictures from C&J show the Tan in my eyes and on my calibrated monitor in a too dark reddish, Chestnut-like brown.

Here are 3 cremes from Saphir for reference next to the boots:

01 / Marron Clair / Light Brown
37 / Marron Moyen / Medium Brown
05 / Marron Fonce /Dark Brown

Just like the boots are positioned between the cremes so are their colors.

I'm not one, who experiments with cremes and always look for a close match. In the C&J store they recommended 'Cognac' but as I love the Walnut-hue, I don't want to introduce a touch of red to the leather.
I think that Saphir's 'Light Hazelnut' , which I will probably order, looks closer to the Tan Coniston than the 'Tan', but given that the leather's color will fade over time, I guess the 'Medium Brown' will do a nice job also.

View attachment 1991865

I use Saphir Creme Universelle or Venetian Leather Balm and eventually some colored creme. To keep the color I try to match the creme color with the leather's or a tad lighter.

I find that brushing and brushing and brushing brings the best results.

Regards

Camerashy

Reaction score
So Just followed bemk lead and ordered a pair of Conistons in Tan Scotch Grain
Not sure on my C&J sizimg so ordered U.K10 and 9.5 is light hazelnut cream the way to go for this colour please I already have Cognac and Dark Brown

bemk

Reaction score
So Just followed bemk lead and ordered a pair of Conistons in Tan Scotch Grain
Not sure on my C&J sizimg so ordered U.K10 and 9.5 is light hazelnut cream the way to go for this colour please I already have Cognac and Dark Brown

Wow! I hope you will love them as much as I do! 🌞

Regarding 'light hazelnut': Given my Pembroke and Coniston and looking at all the pictures on Saphir's site, it looks like the closest match together with medium brown.
I'm talking about the tonality / hue of the color, not about the brightness. I find my two models have neither the slightly reddish character, that the C&J pictures imply, nor do I see a strong shift towards yellow or orange.
What I see is a medium bright brown, which is why I had described it as Walnut. Hazelnut would also match what I see. It so much depends on the temperature of the light.

I will order 'Light Hazelnut' these days and provide a picture then of the opened can next to the shoes like the one above.

Phan84

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on new loafers. Tried today the C&J Harvard 2 in dark brown suede, but couldn’t decide due to sizing. I went into the shop after quite a long walk, about 20k steps in 25+ degrees, so I assume my feet were a bit more swollen compared to a typical office day. In 10.5 the length seemed perfect, no heel slip and fitted nicely, except the front seemed a bit tight and my pinky toe was pushing against the side and it also showed a slight contour of the pinky toe. Then I tried the 11, and it felt much roomier in the front which was very pleasant as I could splay my toes, but it did seems to be a tad on the large side and the heel of the shoe wasn’t exactly hugging the back of my heel, although when walking there was no heel slippage or anything, felt quite okay. I was wearing very thin socks, but in reality I would wear loafers mostly bare feet.

The dilemma is that with the 10.5 I suspect it might get uncomfortable after longer wear/walks, and in terms of aesthetics I also don’t like if you can see a pinky toe sticking out of the side of the shoe. I also was not convinced on the 11, because as said I tried the shoes after a long walk and perhaps on regular days they might get too roomy. Also noticed that with both shoes the sides were flaring out when walking, is that to be expected with loafers?

I also tried the Cavendish but these were even smaller in the front.

The last of the Harvard 2 does seem to suit my feet, wide forefoot and smaller heel, and a high toebox. As I have a mild form of claw toes I can’t wear most loafers as the toebox doesn’t have enough height.

Went on to Anatomica (in Paris). Asked to try on Alden loafers in brown suede, but the salesman told me they were not in stock and new stock could take a year to arrive. That was basically the end of conversation. Didn’t offer me to try on another pair while I informed him a might also consider cordovan, no further convo, so just went on as I don’t want to spend money at a shop with such bad customer service.

Any ideas if I should stick to either 10.5 or 11 C&J Harvard 2?

Or worthwhile to find another distributor of Alden, my concern with their lasts is that the heels seem to be very wide, which I would expect to be an issue in terms of heel slippage….

Any other recommendations for a loafer with a wide front, high toebox and smaller heel are welcome of course!
Were you at a C&J store? Why not try the Bostons? They are similar to the Harvard except they are lined

bemk

Reaction score

To me this dark brown from C&J, no matter if country calf or scotch grain, is one of the most gorgeous 'true' browns, I mean brownish dark brown without any strong hue of red or whatsoever. Surely the grade of the leather helps, however, I love it.

While browsing this thread backwards, I came across this gem you have: #25,370

@JUAN MANUEL , if I would go 335 in the same size as 325, how would you describe the difference, please?

(The Highland boot is out of stock in my size and as Sarah from Bodileys (great contact!) tld me, they don't have plans to bring it back. She confirmed it's build on the 335, btw.)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me this dark brown from C&J, no matter if country calf or scotch grain, is one of the most gorgeous 'true' browns, I mean brownish dark brown without any strong hue of red or whatsoever. Surely the grade of the leather helps, however, I love it.

While browsing this thread backwards, I came across this gem you have: #25,370

@JUAN MANUEL , if I would go 335 in the same size as 325, how would you describe the difference, please?

(The Highland boot is out of stock in my size and as Sarah from Bodileys (great contact!) tld me, they don't have plans to bring it back. She confirmed it's build on the 335, btw.)

The 335 is a tad wider in the front than the 335 but not as bulbous (vertical space in the front) as the 378 (Lanark 3).

Cheers

bemk

Reaction score
The 335 is a tad wider in the front than the 335 but not as bulbous (vertical space in the front) as the 378 (Lanark 3).

Cheers

Thank you! 😎

Would you say, that the shape of the 335 is similar to the 325, so that it feels as if you slip in the same boot but just end up in a wider, rounder toe-box?
Or does it feel different?

(Of course I see the pictures on C&J's website, but looking at these I wouldn't have expected, that the Islay on the 365 would feel tight at the area of my foot in front of where the toes begin, the small toe to be concrete. So that's why I want to learn how it feels to you.)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! 😎

Would you say, that the shape of the 335 is similar to the 325, so that it feels as if you slip in the same boot but just end up in a wider, rounder toe-box?
Or does it feel different?

(Of course I see the pictures on C&J's website, but looking at these I wouldn't have expected, that the Islay on the 365 would feel tight at the area of my foot in front of where the toes begin, the small toe to be concrete. So that's why I want to learn how it feels to you.)

Hello

As you said: "the shape of the 335 is similar to the 325, so that it feels as if you slip in the same boot but just end up in a wider, rounder toe-box?"

The best way to describe it.

Regards

Camerashy

Reaction score
DOUBLE WOW!!! you have been bitten by the bug
My Coniston Tan arrived this morning and think I am going for the UK9.5 over the UK10 despite my other C&J being UK10
very please with the colour and Last shape

bemk

Reaction score
DOUBLE WOW!!! you have been bitten by the bug
My Coniston Tan arrived this morning and think I am going for the UK9.5 over the UK10 despite my other C&J being UK10
very please with the colour and Last shape

Ah, super! Glad you like your Coniston! 😎👍

Yeah, I'm in love. Perfect fit, superb quality and each of them has its own characteristic: The dark brown is pretty much a 'men's boot', the Tan a very British Gent's Boot and with the black one the Jumper DNA shines, it has a military-chic.

On my feet:

230720_19960_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg
230720_19946_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg
230720_19949_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg
230720_19953_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.