• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ccallis

Reaction score

Funnily enough I've just done a comparative review of a bunch of online MTM shirt makers -- including Proper Cloth -- and the shirt I got from them was that $85 white oxford. You can read the review here.

Good to see Proper Cloth on Styleforum. Some very good workmanship compared to other makers.

Hey Kayhill,
Many thanks for the great review! Don't forget you have a free alteration to dial in your fit even more. The first shirt looks great, but we're always happy to cut you a new one in an updated fit if there's something you think could be improved.

ccallis

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Today we launched our Spring '14 neckwear collection. We work with an awesome family-owned factory in Malnate, Italy (just at the base of the Italian Alps) on all of our ties and are really excited to put the new collection live. Everything is 100% made by hand using Italian silks and the printed silk styles feature a hand-sewn slipstich, hand-sewn bar tack, and self-tipped blades.

We used a fun, vibrant color story inspired by ocean blues, cobblestone greys, and the weathered orange frescos you'll find in Italian coastal towns. Every tie is 58" long, with prints at 3 1/8" wide and knits at 2.5" wide. All in all, the collection has 6 printed silk ties, 4 knitted silk ties, and 3 linen pocket squares. Ties are all $100 and pocket squares are $50

You can check out the full collection and read a little more about the construction and influence at http://propercloth.com/italian-neckwear

Would love to get some feedback from Styleforum on this, as well as if there's anything you guys have been looking for but struggling to find in the neckwear dept.

Cheers,
Chris

thirdman

Reaction score
I recently received the second and third shirts I've had made by Proper Cloth. A few thoughts:

First, the website is generally excellent. Easy to use, good images of the fabrics, etc.

Second, I used measurements from a shirt that already fits well and they seem to have been followed pretty accurately. I made a few small changes with the second order (mainly to address minor issues with the shirt I had based my measurements on) and now have a good fit. The shoulder slope options are a big help, I haven't used the posture options but they're nice to have available. Very easy to understand how to take and record the measurements thanks to the website (videos, general design, etc.).

Third, please offer more fabrics. Especially more name brand fabrics. And heavier oxfords. And linens.

Fourth, please offer the option of unfused collars/cuffs/plackets for all collars (even for an extra charge). Right now some collars get unfused, some get fused. This isn't obvious until you start going through all the collar descriptions. At least make all the button-down collars unfused. I ordered the standard button down collar without realizing that some of the other BDs were unfused, and now I'm realizing how important wrinkles and puckering are to a nice OCBD :)

Overall, considering the cost I've been very impressed.

Last edited:

ccallis

Reaction score
Macjedi--Great, we've definitely thought about MTM neckwear but for the foreseeable future we're going to stick to RTW. Appreciate your feedback, though.

Thirdman--Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions--definitely some good stuff to keep in mind!

We'll definitely be bringing in a bunch of new styles from Canclini, Albini, and Thomas Mason. They've done really well for us the last year, so expect those ranges to expand quite a bit over the next few months. Also working with a new mill that'll offer some great stuff in the $80-$120 range.

Linens is something we'd like to launch this spring/summer and are currently testing some fabrics to make sure they pass our quality standards. We try to make sure we use fabrics that don't shrink too much so that sizing from shirt to shirt stays as consistent as possible.

Finally, we're definitely going to be expanding collar options over the coming months. While it may be some time before we have equal numbers of fused and soft collars, rest assured it's on our mind.

Thanks guys and keep it coming!
Chris

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linens is something we'd like to launch this spring/summer and are currently testing some fabrics to make sure they pass our quality standards. We try to make sure we use fabrics that don't shrink too much so that sizing from shirt to shirt stays as consistent as possible.

Offering linen, particularly linen/cotton options (better for office environments), would be a great addition. Certainly see why you guys are going slow with this. Perhaps linen/cotton would be a good first step as shrinkage would be less severe.

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen options for the summer would be a great addition to the line up!

SF96136

Reaction score
I have five PC shirts and wanted to mention that Brittany was awesome at helping me dial-in my fit for the first shirt. Now they just need to expand to MTM trousers.
satisfied.gif

carrig

Reaction score
Can you provide a few details about Canadian orders? I understand there is a US$15 shipping charge. I am wondering about the origin of the shirts from a customs point of view. Do they have "Made in USA" labels, such that they are exempt from duty through NAFTA? If they are labeled as being produced in the far east, they will attract stiff duties, for example about $20 on an $85 shirt.

I'm not saying I'm not willing to pay the duty for a good shirt, I'm just asking for information.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have five PC shirts and wanted to mention that Brittany was awesome at helping me dial-in my fit for the first shirt.  Now they just need to expand to MTM trousers. :satisfied:  

+100! Brittany was kind enough to help me through my first order, placed today. Only a couple weeks till my first fit … can't wait!

ccallis

Reaction score

Can you provide a few details about Canadian orders?  I understand there is a US$15 shipping charge.  I am wondering about the origin of the shirts from a customs point of view.  Do they have "Made in USA" labels, such that they are exempt from duty through NAFTA?  If they are labeled as being produced in the far east, they will attract stiff duties, for example about $20 on an $85 shirt.

I'm not saying I'm not willing to pay the duty for a good shirt, I'm just asking for information.

Hi Carrig,
We cover the duty fees and ship directly to our Canadian costumers, so rest assured there are no additional mark ups.

ccallis

Reaction score

Offering linen, particularly linen/cotton options (better for office environments), would be a great addition. Certainly see why you guys are going slow with this. Perhaps linen/cotton would be a good first step as shrinkage would be less severe. 

JackFlash, Vorhees, and louloufafa--thanks for the feedback. Looks like some affordable cotton/linen options passed our testing so we should be rolling those out in a month or two. We'll be testing some great cotton/linen and pure linen options from Canclini very soon.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads