• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PASTA!!!

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large Fresh Prawns (Shrimps, if you live in the USA)
Garlic
Red Chilli flakes (you can use fresh, but flakes work best)
San Marzano Tomatoes (just a few, crushed in the oil and sautéed a little bit)
Olive Oil
White Wine (just a splash)
Plenty of Lemon Zest to finish the sauce
Your Favourite Brand of Linguine (or home made)

There's a good YouTube channel called "Pasta Grannies", it's a goldmine for authentic Italian dishes.

Great idea for a thread 👍

Last edited:

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
oooo that's a cool thread! Let me pitch in: One of my favorite recipes is Carbonara Roma.

For the noodles I use spaghetti

For the sauce, I grate two fist-fulls of pecorino cheese, then I add three hole eggs and one egg yoke. I mix the sauce until it becomes a paste. I then add black pepper. I don't measure anything, I just do things by eye.

While the spaghetti is boiling, I stirfry guanciale, and when the noodles are done boiling, I add them to the pan with the guanciale and let them stir, as I add the pasta water. I add one ladle full of pasta water into the egg paste, then I stir the sauce to prevent the eggs from cooking. I then add the sauce with no heat from the stove onto the pan with noodles, while adding more pecorino. I then add the noodles into the bowl where I made the sauce and let them mix for extra creaminess

The vid I learned from:

Reaction score
Definitely putting this thread on my watchlist. Thanks for making it.

For recipes, I tend to look at this youtube channel called Italia Squisita:
It has a range of simple recipes to the michelin level if you are feeling the need to spend some serious time cooking.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty regular recipe for us in the summer to utilize some great local produce:

Salt tomatoes (pint of halved cherry or few cut up large) in a bowl.

Cut kernals off 4-6 ears of corn. Add cobs and pound of whatever pasta to salted boiling water.

Over medium heat melt a few tablespoons butter/oil to a skillet. Add corn, minced shallots/onion/whatever allium, minced hot chili or two, salt. Cook until shallots have softened and add 1-1.5 cups pasta water. Cook until thickened, 10-15 minutes.

Add al dante pasta to corn mixture. Adjust seasoning, add butter, add reserved pasta water if needed.

Then add tomatoes and their juices, few tablespoons minced basil, grated parmesan. Serve, usually with a simple salad. Sometimes we add ground beef if we have it on hand.

With a baby and toddler sometimes we need a ten minute dinner and that’s usually penne with Rao’s arrabiatta and grated parm.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been making a "meat sauce" for pasta for a few years, I use a slow cooker and you can adust quantities or ingredients to suit your location. Make sure you sear all the meat to seal it before you throw it in the pot

Stewing Steak
Ox Tail (optional if you can find them)
Pork ribs
Italian Sausage or N'duga
Onions
Garlic
Chopped Tomatoes
Bay leaves/salt/pepper/basil
Parmigiano Reggiano (save a little to throw on and tip the rest in the sauce)
Splash of decent Red wine to deglaze the searing pan.

Cook it on low for 5 hours and pick out the bones and serve with your favourite pasta, I like to use "shells" sorry don't know the correct Italian name 🙂

Last edited:

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I have been making a "meat sauce" for pasta for a few years, I use a slow cooker and you can adust quantities or ingredients to suit your location. Make sure you sear all the meat to seal it before you throw it in the pot

Stewing Steak
Ox Tail (optional if you can find them)
Pork ribs
Italian Sausage or N'duga
Onions
Garlic
Chopped Tomatoes
Bay leaves/salt/pepper/basil
Parmigiano Reggiano (save a little to throw on and tip the rest in the sauce)
Splash of decent Red wine to deglaze the searing pan.

Cook it on low for 5 hours and pick out the bones and serve with your favourite pasta, I like to use "shells" sorry don't know the correct Italian name 🙂
That's not too different from a very roman dish called Coda alla Vaccinara, though it only uses oxtail! It's usually served with rigatoni.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One of my favorite sauces to do is one I never see in restaurants, Genovese. I usually do a double batch as it freezes well.

6 ounces pancetta or salt pork, diced
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, seasoned with 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup white wine
4 pounds yellow onions, sliced
2 pounds red onions, sliced
water or broth as needed to adjust liquid level during simmering

Brown your meats, sweat the celery and carrot for a couple minutes, stir in the tomato paste and let it darken a bit. Deglaze with wine, put the crap ton of onions and put it covered on a low simmer. Simmer for ten hours or so until meat and onions basically dissolve into a tasty union.

Enjoy.

genov.jpg

Bonus pasta: homemade yaki undon.

udon.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads