• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you remember if he had any grays in that fabric as well? I’m just looking for basic solid suiting colors, nothing fancy.
Tbh, I never saw other fabrics. I said “kotaro, I’m thinking a solid navy heavy weight worsted suit.” He suggested this or a holland & sherry. I don’t typically like h&s, so this was the natural solution. I had a dormieul krono 12 nailhead I thought about sending him to have made up (I already have the fabric) but it was too much of a hassle.

I wanted a no nonsense suit that I was extremely classic and versatile. I had considered smith botany, & lessers 13. But, I just trusted kotaro completely & the result was very good. I try not to micro manage when it comes to fabric. I trust that he’s handled and seen more fabric than I have. I’m paying for his expertise, so why not use it?

I’d be surprised if doesn’t have a gray in a similar fabric.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. It’s a lot less stressful to do it that way than obsessing over fabrics, trying to find the “perfect” one, trying to source them, and hauling them to trunk shows.
Another one you might consider asking kotaro about is the standeven heritage twist. While I haven’t had much experience with the London shrunk yet, it appears to be a very nice & elegant fabric.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about a suit in this WBill whipcord - it's a dark bluish gray. Any thoughts and opinions?

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 8.19.04 PM.png

L.deJong

Reaction score
Another one you might consider asking kotaro about is the standeven heritage twist. While I haven’t had much experience with the London shrunk yet, it appears to be a very nice & elegant fabric.
Going for a charcoal suit with this one:
Someone has made this up?

Will also buy some blue navy fancy striped one, have not yet made my mind up about it.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh, I never saw other fabrics. I said “kotaro, I’m thinking a solid navy heavy weight worsted suit.” He suggested this or a holland & sherry. I don’t typically like h&s, so this was the natural solution. I had a dormieul krono 12 nailhead I thought about sending him to have made up (I already have the fabric) but it was too much of a hassle.

I wanted a no nonsense suit that I was extremely classic and versatile. I had considered smith botany, & lessers 13. But, I just trusted kotaro completely & the result was very good. I try not to micro manage when it comes to fabric. I trust that he’s handled and seen more fabric than I have. I’m paying for his expertise, so why not use it?

I’d be surprised if doesn’t have a gray in a similar fabric.

was "London Shrunk" the book name? Do you recall the mill/merchant?

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Looks great, very nice style.
Cheers
On the subject of comparing cuts... Would be curious which style you guys think works better for me and why?

Neapolitan:

View attachment 2172579

Or Florentine:

View attachment 2172575
Bro, what do you want to hear? You're always stunning.
Joke apart, both suit you really well. That's not a given to be honest. Florentine tailoring doesn't work that well on me. I find both very well balanced although I'd give a slight ++ to the Florentine tailoring as the Neapolitan one has kind of an X shape.

CLH03

Reaction score
On the subject of comparing cuts... Would be curious which style you guys think works better for me and why?

Neapolitan:

View attachment 2172579

Or Florentine:

View attachment 2172575
I think they both work for you, but I personally just like the Florentine cut more in general. I think the little bit of shoulder extension and chest drape goes a long way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads