• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New chelsea shoes to wear with a suit, RM Williams?

KennyGG

Reaction score
Hello,

Im looking to buy a new pair of chelsea shoes that would work with a suit. Im living in Norway, so I need to be able to wear them when its snowy outside aswell. I live in Oslo, so they will only be used when traveling in the city and to work.

Ive been looking at shoes from the $ 400 - 550 range. So mostly Loake 1880 and RM Williams.

Currently I find the RM Williams Blaxland very nice, but I need to order them online as no stores in Norway have it.

Some questions before I buy:
1. Will the Blaxland or Comfort Craftsman be best with a suit?
2. THey have two colours Rom and Chestnut for the Blaxland, what are most like "dark brown"?
3. Yearling leather, anything I should know? Would I be able to treat them the same way as i treat my oxfords? I would like a mirror shine on the chelseas aswell.
4. Any spesific products I should use when wearing leather shoes in the snow?
5. Any other type of chelsea shoes I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance :)

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear Chelseas with a suit. If you want to wear boots with a suit, I'd suggest some lace up boots.
Chelseas are fine to wear with a suit in the UK/Ireland, and I am told they are even more acceptable in Australia/NZ.
Have no idea how they will be received in Norway, but I would imagine quite well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
think it depends on the style of the Chelsea and the suit. I wouldn't generally wear a Chelsea boot with a more 'formal' solid navy or grey suit. A sleeker Chelsea with a less formal suit could work.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So only oxfords? Or any tips on a laced up winter boot?
Don’t pay that any mind. Chelseas can range from big clunky Blundstones which I believe are for farmers and rural workers in Australia, all the way to sleek-lasted shined calf versions which are absolutely fine with a suit, even more formal / business suits.
Take a look at Meermin who have a broad range, and Carmina.

Among others, I have Meermins in black softcalf and rubber soles which are very comfortable and didn’t need break in time, and burgundy Carminas which are formal enough to wear with any suit…

IMG_8189.jpeg

KennyGG

Reaction score
Don’t pay that any mind. Chelseas can range from big clunky Blundstones which I believe are for farmers and rural workers in Australia, all the way to sleek-lasted shined calf versions which are absolutely fine with a suit, even more formal / business suits.
Take a look at Meermin who have a broad range, and Carmina.

Among others, I have Meermins in black softcalf and rubber soles which are very comfortable and didn’t need break in time, and burgundy Carminas which are formal enough to wear with any suit…

View attachment 2083909 .

Nice!

I love carmina styles of boots, again only problem is that im not able to buy them from any Norwegian store.

Thats my selection of classier winter shoeware ;p. Planning to travel to Madrid to take a look at some Carmina shoes, but I have to mix that in with a vacation or something ;p.

Would you say that the RM Williams Comfort Craftsman would be suitable for jeans, shirt and a blazer? Or is it more as a farmers boot? ;p

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice!

I love carmina styles of boots, again only problem is that im not able to buy them from any Norwegian store.

Thats my selection of classier winter shoeware ;p. Planning to travel to Madrid to take a look at some Carmina shoes, but I have to mix that in with a vacation or something ;p.

Would you say that the RM Williams Comfort Craftsman would be suitable for jeans, shirt and a blazer? Or is it more as a farmers boot? ;p
I haven’t seen the Williams CC up close but I think I’ve seen pics on here where they would at least be ‘formal’ enough for that outfit. See if you can do an image search to get more of an idea.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im looking to buy a new pair of chelsea shoes that would work with a suit. Im living in Norway, so I need to be able to wear them when its snowy outside aswell. I live in Oslo, so they will only be used when traveling in the city and to work.

Ive been looking at shoes from the $ 400 - 550 range. So mostly Loake 1880 and RM Williams.

Currently I find the RM Williams Blaxland very nice, but I need to order them online as no stores in Norway have it.

Some questions before I buy:
1. Will the Blaxland or Comfort Craftsman be best with a suit?
2. THey have two colours Rom and Chestnut for the Blaxland, what are most like "dark brown"?
3. Yearling leather, anything I should know? Would I be able to treat them the same way as i treat my oxfords? I would like a mirror shine on the chelseas aswell.
4. Any spesific products I should use when wearing leather shoes in the snow?
5. Any other type of chelsea shoes I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance :)
I wear C&J Lingfield Chelsea's (in black and in brown) with tailoring all the time. They are sleek enough to look decent with dress clothes. I wear their Chelsea V's casually as the are chunky like RM Williams boots.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have a pair of Allen Edmonds First Avenue dress boots for seriously awful weather. They shine up like oxfords. Looks like they are called Park Avenue boots now.

1701806000369.png

KennyGG

Reaction score
I wear C&J Lingfield Chelsea's (in black and in brown) with tailoring all the time. They are sleek enough to look decent with dress clothes. I wear their Chelsea V's casually as the are chunky like RM Williams boots.

I love those, those are next on the list ;p.

But kinda out of my budget atm ;)

acconrad

Reaction score

Is there an occasion where you'd wear the Vs and not say a Chukka boot? I'm flip-flopping between brown suede chelseas or chukkas. I like the look of a chukka but I like the laziness of a chelsea for slipons

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an occasion where you'd wear the Vs and not say a Chukka boot? I'm flip-flopping between brown suede chelseas or chukkas. I like the look of a chukka but I like the laziness of a chelsea for slipons
I don't own any Chukka boots although I consider them nice. I thinkg a suede pair would be good.

I usually wear either loafers or Chelseas depending on the weather. Oxfords mostly at work, some plain cap toe, some brogues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads