• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for my first bespoke suit.

archipel

Reaction score
From my understanding, they think it is affordable then I have no obligation to save money for them. If I buy one $5000 suit to save money, they won't give me the rest $13000 to spend on something else.

I'll disagree on this. In my opinion, you shouldn't make your parents spend much more money when there is almost no reason to. A good (MTM) suit from something like Spier and Mackay would most definitely be enough for you. But yeah, if your parents are multimillionaires and they really don't care, go for it.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with your current weight or do you plan to use more? Especially if you go bespoke it might be essential to land a stable weight first

nevaeh

Reaction score
This is either an all too bizarre look into the world of the ultra wealthy or an all too real one into the world of trolling.

He said he would buy me one escalade if I get high mark in final exam when I was grade 8. )

Unless you were a really old eighth grader, does Canada not require driver’s licenses? Or was this a promise for when you are old enough?

If I buy one $5000 suit to save money, they won't give me the rest $13000 to spend on something else.

What if you get a really nice suit for $1,000 and then donate the remaining $17,000 to the store to create a program for local unemployed folks to get their first suits for job interviews? How would you feel about breaking this chain of tit-for-tat with your parents?

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father then made me the promise that he would buy me a $18000 suit if I achieve the goal of losing weight( which didn't surprise me since he usually made this kind of promises when I was much younger. He said he would buy me one escalade if I get high mark in final exam when I was grade 8. )

I just want this thread to turn into an AMA with the frivolous stuff that this dude has earned through agreements with his parents.

From my understanding, they think it is affordable then I have no obligation to save money for them. If I buy one $5000 suit to save money, they won't give me the rest $13000 to spend on something else.

Assuming this isnt some long form troll post...my earnest advice is to split the difference and do high end MTM from The Armoury (101 series) or bespoke from one of the big name trunk shows that occur in NYC (Steed, Hitchcock, Richard Anderson, Huntsman) which will run somewhere from $4-8K.

99.99% of people walking this earth cannot tell the difference between a well fitting $4-8K suit and an $18K suit. The only benefit of the $18K suit is to tell other people how much it cost, which in turn makes you look quite ugly no matter how much you paid for it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents. Sounds like your family is so wealthy that you probably assume that your own future & retirement are assured. But speaking as an 'old' 48 year old, you should never assume that family wealth will remain intact or that it will necessarily pass down to you. I also don't claim to understand your relationship with your parents. But if you could convince them to give you the 18,000 so that you could spend $2000 on a very good RTW suit and then you put away $16,000 into a retirement/investment account maybe you could demonstrate some ability to make mature financial decisions. $16K becomes nearly $150K after 45 years at 5% annual return. I know, boring, and surely not how truly rich people think.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if it's a troll thread the only satisfaction that ought to have come out of it is recommendations for how to spend 18k on a few suits.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
99.99% of people walking this earth cannot tell the difference between a well fitting $4-8K suit and an $18K suit. The only benefit of the $18K suit is to tell other people how much it cost, which in turn makes you look quite ugly no matter how much you paid for it.

Seconded these thoughts. Nobody cares about suits if you want to impress people with how much money you spent, this isn't the 1940s and very few people, even in this forum care about such things.

Just get various Gucci and Louis Vuitton tracksuits with the monogram pattern. Maybe you can get those made bespoke with 12K gold thread. I'm sure all of Toronto will look at you and say, "wow look at those Gucci clothes, he appears to have money". Then likely move on with their day.

These garments will also help when your weight fluctuates, Staying in shape is a constant effort especially as you get older and if you did it just to get money from your parents, it will certainly go up again.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a great read into why wealthy people need wealth managers.

Conversely, no one I know without many monetary concerns has ever gotten that way through saving pennies. Or wearing golden suits, though.

yanagi

Reaction score
I believe OP's story and that he isn't trolling. It's the power of market reforms, for good or bad.

I'm Chinese American and when I grew up in the 90s/00s, the stereotype was that Chinese parents were frugal to the point of stinginess. And for good reason: our parents grew up extremely poor in pre-reform China. Now China has a generation of new money. They are still very much a minority, but hey, a small % of a large population = still a lot of people.

OP, again, it's your parents' money, not ours, so your choice. That said, if you really, really feel the need to spend the $18k, experiment with RTW first so you find out what you like. Or go ahead and get that black peak lapel Scabal Super 250s three-piece suit if that's what you think you like.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe OP's story and that he isn't trolling. It's the power of market reforms, for good or bad.

I'm Chinese American and when I grew up in the 90s/00s, the stereotype was that Chinese parents were frugal to the point of stinginess. And for good reason: our parents grew up extremely poor in pre-reform China. Now China has a generation of new money. They are still very much a minority, but hey, a small % of a large population = still a lot of people.

OP, again, it's your parents' money, not ours, so your choice. That said, if you really, really feel the need to spend the $18k, experiment with RTW first so you find out what you like. Or go ahead and get that black peak lapel Scabal Super 250s three-piece suit if that's what you think you like.

Lots of people can spend that much on suits if they want (not all do). Spending 18k when you have 1 million is equivalent to spending 1800 when you have 100k - that is to say, not very much.

I've never understood the appeal of the super-whatever suits, as most of them seem extremely flimsy (I'm aware that 'super' fabrics don't necessarily have to be). I'd rather have a heavier weight and more luxurious wool blend in Toronto.

AgentGary

Reaction score
Dormeuil Extreme vicuna goes for €1600 a meter. For a suit 4 meters that'll only be €6400 plus whatever base cost of handwork. Let's say a SR tailor £4500. He's still within $18000 :oops:

yanagi

Reaction score
Dormeuil Extreme vicuna goes for €1600 a meter. For a suit 4 meters that'll only be €6400 plus whatever base cost of handwork. Let's say a SR tailor £4500. He's still within $18000 :oops:

Add 20% VAT and he's got it ?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member