• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fpm9

Reaction score
I finally got my thrifted cashmere jacket from the tailor, it feels great. Wore it with a Borrelli tie today.

Attachments

• 20240320_134144.jpg
    20240320_134144.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20240320_134133.jpg
    20240320_134133.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 57

William Kazak

Reaction score
View attachment 2152317

Can someone put my mind at ease that this sportscoat does not look like an orphaned suit jacket? I’m building my wardrobe in this 3 week long trip to asia im on and you guys have been immensely helpful, arigato gozamaisu!
Looks very nice to me. I would not worry about it. Enjoy wearing it with contrasting trousers.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
The weather in NYC, after a spring-like weekend, has, with the advent of calendrical spring, reverted to winter. There is some vague threat of spotty dampness this afternoon, but by the evening, it should be clear, if colder than normal. As it is, my husband and I are attending the opera this evening, seeing "Turandot", the ticket gods at the Theatre Development Fund making it not only possible, but cheap at twice the price. With the drop in temperatures, outerwear will be necessary, particularly for the journey homewards.

Selections of shirt, tie and shoes were made on the principle that none had seen the light of day in a very long time.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Thomas Farthing
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 2152449

I will also come see Turandot but mid April!

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s got that button hole I was ranting on about earlier. Hard pass!😁

If not for that it looks like a decent jacket and a decent fit. How sad that this virus has spread to Asia too.
what button whole? The fake 3rd one, that makes this a 3 button jacket? I didn’t know it was a fad (again im very new to this) lol!

Brennenman

Reaction score
The weather in NYC, after a spring-like weekend, has, with the advent of calendrical spring, reverted to winter. There is some vague threat of spotty dampness this afternoon, but by the evening, it should be clear, if colder than normal. As it is, my husband and I are attending the opera this evening, seeing "Turandot", the ticket gods at the Theatre Development Fund making it not only possible, but cheap at twice the price. With the drop in temperatures, outerwear will be necessary, particularly for the journey homewards.

Selections of shirt, tie and shoes were made on the principle that none had seen the light of day in a very long time.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Thomas Farthing
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 2152449

I really love the look of that double breasted suit!

loarbmhs

Reaction score
View attachment 2152317

Can someone put my mind at ease that this sportscoat does not look like an orphaned suit jacket? I’m building my wardrobe in this 3 week long trip to asia im on and you guys have been immensely helpful, arigato gozamaisu!
No it looks perfectly fine—not at all like an orphaned suit jacket. Well done! But for the love of all things sartorial, take the tag off the jacket sleeve. Can't tell if it's there because you haven't yet decided to keep it, or because you thought it was some style statement. If it were the former, fine; if the latter, cut it off immediately.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it looks perfectly fine—not at all like an orphaned suit jacket. Well done! But for the love of all things sartorial, take the tag off the jacket sleeve. Can't tell if it's there because you haven't yet decided to keep it, or because you thought it was some style statement. If it were the former, fine; if the latter, cut it off immediately.
There is a tag hanging from the middle button hole and the jacket sleeve doesn't have any buttons. Looks like he's still deciding.

AAS, P.I.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is sunny and unseasonably cold - a late annex of winter, rather than calendrical spring, giving me license to wear more flannel that hasn't been worn often this season.

It's been an eventful 24 hours. Last night's performance at the Metropolitan Opera was only semi-staged, as a scenery mechanism for the upcoming performances of "La Rondine" got stuck, and was unable to be unstuck in time for the Met to move in the scenery for last night's "Turandot". No matter, the opera was gamely performed, and well sung (the tenor, SeokJong Baek, sang "Nessum dorma" twice, as the cheers for his first rendition were so long and loud). The only worrying thing for me is that I have tickets for Rondine for Tuesday - I do hope their technical issues are resolved by then.

I also note that Martin Greenfield, master tailor, has died. Martin fitted me for my first made-to-measure suit at Brooks Brothers, in 2003. I wanted a three-piece suit, and as there were no wiastcoats in stock at the time, Martin, consummate salesman that he was, took off his own waistcoat, and put it on me for purposes of measurement. In the process, he also took off a large gold pocket watch and chain, handing it to me, with the statement, "This is all I have left of my family" - a dose of WWII history along with my fitting.

Today should not be as eventful, I assume.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Paul Stuart (a recent purchase - its maiden voyage)
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand (a recent purchase - their maiden voyage)
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird Hatters, London

Included are a couple of "lifestyle photos" from the Met last night.

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
PXL_20240320_233107549.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240320_233251687.NIGHT.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 35

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads