• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@LA Guy this you?

IMG_7272.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hands are both visibly more muscular and also more ripped up from gripping and stripping grips and getting grips stripped. Also, one knife? I usually have a second cutting tool, like my Hawk Shortcut or TPT slide or even my Good Art Styleforum XX cutter, in case a non-knife person who is definitely going to do something stupid asks if I have a knfe.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple more in the rotation.

First is a long discontinued Spyderco flipper with their patented opening hole and leaf blade. CF scale with a titanium frame lock. Perfect pocket size and bomb proof factory folder. Ti and CF make it relatively light.

IMG_9968.jpg
IMG_9969.jpg

This small fixed blade is by a custom maker, Tom Krein. I bought it from him in 2005. Nice 2.5" drop point blade of D2 tool steel and CF scales. Holds an edge forever. He's now pretty well known and his knives fetch a premium. People wait years to buy one of his folders. This is my kitchen, paring knife, steak knife, etc.

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9972.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

First is a long discontinued Spyderco flipper with their patented opening hole and leaf blade. CF scale with a titanium frame lock. Perfect pocket size and bomb proof factory folder. Ti and CF make it relatively light.

View attachment 2058785 View attachment 2058787

This small fixed blade is by a custom maker, Tom Krein. I bought it from him in 2005. Nice 2.5" drop point blade of D2 tool steel and CF scales. Holds an edge forever. He's now pretty well known and his knives fetch a premium. People wait years to buy one of his folders. This is my kitchen, paring knife, steak knife, etc.

View attachment 2058789
View attachment 2058793
Tom Krein is still working. He had some knives our recently, though it seems like a lot of the work that he does is in regrinding of blades. His "Krein regrind" is famous, for those who may not already know.

I don't know anything about that flipper, but it looks cool. I much prefer framelocks with a steel lockbar insert and overtravel stop though

Today, and no picture because I suck at them and am also lazy - still the Flytanium Arcade with a mokume gane inlay, and a damasteel tipped and capped pen from Tactile Turn,
https://tactileturn.com/collections/limited-releases/products/damasteel-bolt-action-pen - I figure that if TSA ever tries to confiscate that, I will simply remove the cap and tip, insert and spring, and reattach them to a separate all ti pen that I have thrown into my checked baggage.

I think that bolt action pens are one of the most durable of pen mechanisms.

My wife carries these: https://www.penheaven.com/yard-o-led-perfecta-victorian-ballpoint-pen

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2058789
View attachment 2058793

What model Krein is that? I’m kind of on the lookout for a TK-1 or TK-11

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 2058789
View attachment 2058793

His regrinds are fantastic. If I ever get a Techno 2 I’ll get him to do a regrind on it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His regrinds are fantastic. If I ever get a Techno 2 I’ll get him to do a regrind on it.
Forget the Techno 2. The best ****** knife is the Hinderer Halftrack wit the slicer blade. However, Hinderer insists on incredible thickness behind the edge. Getting a Krein regrind into a high hollow grind on the flat, but thicker at the tip (yes, TWSS, I know) would make it a great slicer, but robust for puncturing tasks. And also very handsom as blade as well, with the stonewash and satin contrast. That would be my wish for a Krein regrind. Oh, and with a Lynch Northwest milled deep carry clip.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy look what you did to me. Now I am here.
Welcome. How can we help you trade money for something more fun and less fungible? Tastes, budget, non-negotiable needs, etc…

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was browsing Tom Krein’s site to see about sending my TK2 back for a refresh. Sad to read this:

What is a REGRIND and can I get one on my knife?​

Basically a regrind is a knife that I grind the blade thinner. I do this to increase cutting performance. Most knives today are over built and this decreases cutting performance. A REGRIND does void any warranty on a knife.

I’m not currently accepting regrind work. I do a few knives from time to time and offer them for sale on my Facebook group and email list. Mostly Great Eastern Cutlery knives at this point in time.

Edit: Note, he still resharpens knives that he made. So mine is going back after 18 years to get refreshed.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All knives are welcome here.
Everyone's got their tastes. I like mine thicc, in general. Oh, this is a great little knife if you need something that will more or less literally disappear into your fifth pocket, especially with black jeans (my usual):

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads