• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excellent Article on Fabrics

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Super! Yes! Ordinary, old 70s, 80s, even 90s were never deemed worthy of that epithet. But 100s! Just stating the number without any adjective would be like saying, "Roger Bannister ran around this track really fast."
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree it's an excellent article.
However, when I look at my Oxxford suits from the 1980s with their heavy bomb proof wools, I just don't see benefits. The lighter high quality wools are so much better in a hot, humid climate. Their delightful hand is its own reward. For as lasting longer, I've found that stains, tares, accidents, etc do all suits in before their time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Is this the vacation where one gets to meet artisans and defraud them?

wink.gif

Tch tch tch. Don't you want to turn the tables on Olga and Massimo?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good article and well written.

I once compared Manton's writing to Tom Wolfe. Manton seemed to think that Wolfe is a much better writer, and that I'm crazy.

Perhaps, but given the subjects that Manton writes about and that Wolfe writes about, maybe the comparison was not that crazy.

Given the subject matter that they write about, I think they are both excellent.

I would think that it's not easy to write a "Bonfire of the Vanities", about wool fabric ratings.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I once compared Manton's writing to Tom Wolfe. Manton seemed to think that Wolfe is a much better writer, and that I'm crazy.

You may or may not be crazy. Based on what I have been reading in CE lately, I think probably not. But Wolfe is a much better writer than I am. By a factor of about 10,000.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone make any sense of what Tom Mahon wrote?

He and Manton seem to agree on which cloths make up best (though Manton presented both sides of the debate).

At any rate, I really enjoyed the article. I had always assumed that the super number referred to the number of threads it took to cover some length.

Stax

Reaction score
extremely educational. thanks for posting.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Good article... Honestly, I've never paid attention to the count, I just go with what feels nice in my hands and on my body.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads