• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Condition and Polish New Shoes?

William Kazak

Reaction score
I have heard it said on uTube that it can be advisable to condition the leather of brand new shoes. Then, to polish them. The reason is, no one knows for sure how long those shoes sat in the warehouse, shoe box or on the store shelf. Seems like reasonable enough advice. Does anyone here condition and polish brand new shoes? Opinions welcome.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard it said on uTube that it can be advisable to condition the leather of brand new shoes. Then, to polish them. The reason is, no one knows for sure how long those shoes sat in the warehouse, shoe box or on the store shelf. Seems like reasonable enough advice. Does anyone here condition and polish brand new shoes? Opinions welcome.

I always to. Aside from getting the shine to where I want it, that coat of wax is necessary to help prevent or limit scuffs.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Conditioning is probably not needed, though I think that it would suffice to condition a shoe with shoe cream rather than conditioner on its first wear. That being said, conditioning it is unlikely to cause harm if it is a mild conditioner, like say, a Saphir Creme Universelle or Bick4 or something.

As for polish: absolutely. The reason you polish is to protect the shoe from scratches, from water, etc. The entire shoe should receive 1-2 coats of wax polish, with more as desired on the toes/heels for higher shine.

It's infinitely better to scratch the wax and have to redo your polish than scratch the leather and have an ugly mark on your shoe forever.

William Kazak

Reaction score
IMG_20240229_132317125.jpg

William Kazak

Reaction score
These arrived today. Black Cherry by Florsheim. eBay brand new. I used to wear this from Florsheim many years ago. The inner elastic keeps it from falling off.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All shoes will have a factory finish -- but what that is depends on the factory. But new leathers by virtue of being new will usually have enough of the waxes and oils to keep it supple -- and loss of pigmentation would not be an issue.

If the shoes have been sitting in the stokcroom for long, then it may be worth replenishing the oils and waxes with a cream. Otherwise, its probably not necessary.

However, factory finishes will seldom have shoeshine. So if you wanted a mirror shine on the toe or heel, then that will likely have to be done by wearer

William Kazak

Reaction score
"The Shoe Snob" just put out a video on why you should not condition brand new shoes. He is to be found on uTube.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads