• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

oucheebooboo

Reaction score
As testified by others elsewhere on the forum currently, it is apparent that lavender, cedar (and no doubt soap) are absolutely useless for these intended purposes, and can personally confirm this myself in the case of the first two.

Coincidentally, the last couple of years I have really given up keeping the dust at bay in the hovel the Lord of the Manor provides for me (trying more to live up to my name), and left absolutely all spiders to have free reign of the place (proving a great cure for someone who grew up truly arachnophobic, and now have much affection for them).

Formerly having a major clothes-moth problem when the place was kept "clean", this post has made me realise I see a tiny fraction of moths as previously, and no knitwear casualties thus far - without any of the excessive and obsessive protective measures outlined above and in the other thread.

Laziness has a lot of undisclosed rewards (beyond the obvious) - many things take care of themselves“Trichogramma, Trichogramma, Trichogramma, Rah!”
“Trichogramma, Trichogramma, Trichogramma, Rah!”

Johnny80

Reaction score
In the last 12 months we collaborate and talk with some knit manufacture to share more info (more like to Colhays) JoE and Hawico and soon Colombo hopefully starting with their new fall garments
For now, ply count, fit are add-on. From my side i wanted also to share the fibre quality like thickness and length but no success, maybe starting next year. Any ideas from you with what you want to see in the future would be welcomed (Next think like i said is for info of the fibre and also for the garment weight in every sizes)

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the last 12 months we collaborate and talk with some knit manufacture to share more info (more like to Colhays) JoE and Hawico and soon Colombo hopefully starting with their new fall garments
For now, ply count, fit are add-on. From my side i wanted also to share the fibre quality like thickness and length but no success, maybe starting next year. Any ideas from you with what you want to see in the future would be welcomed (Next think like i said is for info of the fibre and also for the garment weight in every sizes)

Re. future seasons.

I for one would be grateful if you could include the given names or affectionate epithets bestowed by the farmers on any and all goats/sheep that contributed to the garments so that they can receive their due deserved credit. (Just imagine what wonders this could do for your ESG score!)

elysiumfield

Reaction score
Re. future seasons.

I for one would be grateful if you could include the given names or affectionate epithets bestowed by the farmers on any and all goats/sheep that contributed to the garments so that they can receive their due deserved credit. (Just imagine what wonders this could do for your ESG score!)
I have heard companies like Trustrace doing something similar, but they can only trace batches of material.

HotDilf

Reaction score
From my side i wanted also to share the fibre quality like thickness and length but no success, maybe starting next year.

All Scottish manufacturers - with the exception of Johnston's - use Todd & Duncan yarns, which are Chinese-owned.

Standard Todd & Duncan cashmere yarns are 15 microns, 37 mm.

Johnston's source their own cashmere from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Mongolia and China.

Capture d’écran, le 2024-04-23 à 21.26.06.png

Johnny80

Reaction score
All Scottish manufacturers - with the exception of Johnston's - use Todd & Duncan yarns, which are Chinese-owned.

Standard Todd & Duncan cashmere yarns are 15 microns, 37 mm.

Johnston's source their own cashmere from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Mongolia and China.

View attachment 2172999
You know that, but the average customers dont, and it should be on their product (in this case garment) website. As the electronics has all the info customers needs, why in this case shouldnt?! This is just the start, competition and a bit of pressure will make most of them to do the right thing for customers and to be under the law rules where they do their business. Plus its very ambiguous since T&D differ from brand to brand, from Hawico to Brora for example. By law, more info they put out there to its customers, more quality checks it needs
15-15.5µ+36-38mm is theirs top of the line yarn

Last edited:

db123456

Reaction score
While the photos on PS aren't always color-accurate, I wouldn't say they're "graded", let alone to the nth degree. That said, I also find the cream a bit too yellowish and would prefer something with a little gray in it. Maybe this one by the Anthology is a bit better in that regard.

Linen knitwear bags out after a couple of wears so I personally avoid it.

I like this shade -- from Anderson & Sheppard, "light natural" I think.

Summer-dressing-400x600.jpg

Johnny80

Reaction score
What do your lab results say about Cariaggi yarns?

According to them :

View attachment 2173197
Cariaggi 40mm never on cashmere yarn
But yes, especially on scotland made garments premium cashmere is always around 15-15.5.
Todd & Duncan Yarn is a better yarn and also more resistant to the sunlight, shades of colors dont fade away as quickly

Last edited:

HotDilf

Reaction score
The Anthology cream is a bit too beige to my eyes.

I reckon beige is a remarkable color :)

IMG_0335.jpg IMG_0287.jpg

Keimen makes knitwear suitable for farm and yard work (cuffs with thumb holes and long rib cuffs so the sleeves won't fall when rolled up)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads