• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently received a new bag from a maker I've not seen mentioned on this thread before, Mark-Angelo Gizzi. He is based in Hertfordshire here in the UK and offers hand made saddle-stitched bags. This is a derivation of one of his stock models with slightly larger dimensions and a change to the handle. I'm borrowing Mark's photo until I get a moment to take my own.

The whole process was great - Mark was prompt in communication, very diligent (he remade part of the bag because he wasn't happy with the finishing) and perhaps most importantly the quality of his work is really very good (tight, even stitches across the piece, neat edge finishing) and very reasonably priced.

Tony Montana

Reaction score
I recently received a new bag from a maker I've not seen mentioned on this thread before, Mark-Angelo Gizzi. He is based in Hertfordshire here in the UK and offers hand made saddle-stitched bags. This is a derivation of one of his stock models with slightly larger dimensions and a change to the handle. I'm borrowing Mark's photo until I get a moment to take my own.

The whole process was great - Mark was prompt in communication, very diligent (he remade part of the bag because he wasn't happy with the finishing) and perhaps most importantly the quality of his work is really very good (tight, even stitches across the piece, neat edge finishing) and very reasonably priced.

Congrats! That looks really, really neat!

shanetrudell

Reaction score
I have to agree that the big benefit of this forum is in explaining what we do.

The end result of purchasing artisan products should be bang-for-the-buck. Corporate pricing is what-the-market-will-bear, and value is what the buyer can be convinced is true. It has been a long time since, say, SAB cases lived up to their reputation. For their marketing team 'hand crafted' means clicking presses, sewing machines, and edge inkers. That choice is fair enough, but it's neither traditional nor stylish nor innovative nor a value-add, and when they dilute the terms they do a disservice to makers and connoisseurs alike (as well as to the trust they had been earning for a century or more).

Truthfully this stuff is pretty esoteric - it takes a well-informed eye to detect value for oneself and aggressive marketing makes the water murkier. So while corporate toys around with terms and definitions, I think it's the role of artisans to work with integrity and talk openly about it with those who might care.

Artisans should create real value, at whatever level they like to work at, have the skill to work at, or have the market interest to work at. A ten-piece moulded and hand stitched handle, stitched in and riveted to a covered bar, is better than a two-piece strap, but with appropriate pricing the latter may have better value for the buyer so inclined. There are good reasons to buy bottles of wine for $20 and for $80. The point is, I think, that it doesn't matter just what techniques and designs we use, but that we can defend the value we create and ensure that for the buyer, you get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Shane

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have to agree that the big benefit of this forum is in explaining what we do. Artisans should create real value, at whatever level they like to work at, have the skill to work at, or have the market interest to work at. A ten-piece moulded and hand stitched handle, stitched in and riveted to a covered bar, is better than a two-piece strap, but with appropriate pricing the latter may have better value for the buyer so inclined. There are good reasons to buy bottles of wine for $20 and for $80. The point is, I think, that it doesn't matter just what techniques and designs we use, but that we can defend the value we create and ensure that for the buyer, you get what you pay for. Cheers, Shane
Really good answer Shane. An artisan business needs to drive its value and price model through its workmanship and quality of materials not marketing, though of course we all have to do the marketing. No marketing = no customers because no-one knows you exist, so therefore no money for nice tools and leather. Our customers allow us to scratch our particular itches, which is making lovely things, and by making lovely things we hopefully therefore have sustainable businesses Charlie

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am seeking recommendations for a 17" top-closure soft briefcase, ideally in tan. I am looking at the Glaser day bag but am wondering if I can find something at a slightly lower price point. I don't need all the detailing of Glaser... less would be more. I have contacted a couple of the custom leatherworkers from this thread to see what they might say as well. And of course, I have been through the thread and have seen some nice things, but unfortunately not very many makers make a bag for an oversized laptop (this is what you get when you decide you need a keypad).
Clegg makes what I think would be a fine substitute for the Day Bag. If I decide that I want something between 3" and 6" for business-type stuff, that might be it. A lot of the other good makers tend to avoid zippers, which reduces your talent pool a bit.

Otherwise, while it's not top-closure (and is too small in this incarnation), perhaps a custom job from Saddleback might be useful for that kind of application. Their finishing is a little less urban, and less expensive as a result.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bartolomeo Vanzetti Briefcase – another highly built solid brass combo lock. All suede lined with a removable handle and flap that pivots all the way back that is built and stitched hinges and all entirely by hand

Interesting. Is the Vanzetti briefcase named after the Vanzetti of Sacco and Vanzetti, the Italian anarchists who were executed in the US in the 1920s amongst a storm of criticism and serious concerns about whether justice had properly been done?

Last edited:

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting. Is the Vanzetti briefcase named after the Vanzetti of Sacco and Vanzetti, the Italian anarchists who were executed in the US in the 1920s amongst a storm of criticism and serious concerns about whether justice had properly been done?

yes, it was a really tragic event in history, these men were executed because of anti-Italian prejudice and what has always been a misunderstood and popular belief of anarchist philosophy. At least Massachusetts eventually realized they were innocent men in the 70's.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you, that is much appreciated.

As most artists, we create for 2 main reasons among others - for the appreciation of the intended and to set our immortality in history
jp

Beautiiful briefcases. I am glad I got my briefcase from you Joe.
Quote: Originally Posted by JP Marcellino

Interesting. Indeed.

Thanks for your opinion on refinement, I disagree. And thank you for making a distinction that I do not have an SAB English Workmanship style. They have been one of the many masters in this art form and I have never intended to be their clone or a cheaper version. I have carved my own New York style.

For all the briefcase lovers, let me save you “a thousand words” and introduce some of my new styles for 2014 – an American Workmanship Style and Refinement.

The pictures link to more info so you can see the rest of the thousand words.

Today was memorial day - remember those who've fallen

The Nathan Hale Briefcase – this is brand new and still underdevelopment. It will be out by mid June 2014. This is a final sample with the only difference being my logo name engraved on the hasp. This is a very unique combination lock that is built so well the internal and external components resemble a fine clock. This lock is NOT Nickle Alloy an inferior metal. It is made of Palladium, a pure precious metal and will also come in solid brass. I will have more info as the time comes. It is lined with suede – handle is removable and here are 2 types

The Bartolomeo Vanzetti Briefcase – another highly built solid brass combo lock. All suede lined with a removable handle and flap that pivots all the way back that is built and stitched hinges and all entirely by hand

The Fyodor M Dostoyevsky Briefcase – this is a limited edition. I only have a few of these unused old (at least 30 years) antique Eagle locks – a great American luggage company that has been out of business now for over 30 years. These locks were built like tanks. I have the chrome and some in solid brass

The Thomas More 1912 – refined stitching detail on the handle with stitched in buckle straps and thin 1.5” compartments. This is a smaller overall gusset width at 3” than my normal at 4”

The Alfred Wallace 2209 – refined and manufactured on Long Island, leather grazed and raised in America and vegetable tanned in St Louis – ships to the people of the world

Always advancing my Strong Eye Latch briefcases

The Habermas 2066 – brought out the width from the normal 2.5” to 3”

The Thomas Paine Briefcase – Extra handle support, curve cuts on the top flap ends for a better shoulder strap hang, and the front top latch has been redesigned for a cleaner look.

The McCarty 1541 - simple clean black briefcase, bottom cross stitch handle that pulls up from the flap

Last edited:

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How much do they cost JP?

an almost infinite amount of money that is not imaginable. I might consider a human soul if we could come up with the right terms.

the images link to the listing with prices, just not the first one Nathan Hale as that is not even out yet, its just a preview and still trying to set the price.

Mr VEV

Reaction score
Hi, for years I’ve been looking for a solid yet simple briefcase which would fit my taste and needs. I started with Saddleback bags (“Simple”, “Classic”) and initially was happy with them. But recently I decided to try and make a bag by myself which would make me even happier. Here is my first product: a simple briefcase made of full grain vegetable tanned leather (the back side with flap is actually made of two pieces of same 4-5oz leather glued and stitched together), with solid brass hardware, all hand stitched with 1mm UV resistant waxed polyester thread. The length is 15.7 in (40cm), it has no shoulder strap and weighs 3.7 lb (1,7 kg). Would appreciate to receive your opinion and criticism

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks nice!

What problems were you trying to solve that weren't being addressed by Saddleback?

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have over the years designed and made canvas/leather bags, so may be able to help? a few different examples,

Just a few things from my archives. The main difficulty is in being able to find a good quality thick canvas, in a small quantity, to make a single bespoke piece!

pm me if I can help, regards, simon
The first creation is absolutely great. Compliments.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The first creation is absolutely great. Compliments.

The soft bags look lovely. Would be amazing in Barenia :)

It would be interesting to see what was under that dust cover

Charlie

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi Gianni,

Thanks for that, that particular piece was a bespoke design for a lady, as a flight 'carry on bag'

The next 2 photo's were bags made to hold padded leather portfolio books, for professional photographers, agencies and other corporate clients,

Hi Charlie, the canvas/leather trimmed case, was one of a pair of Victorian picnic hampers, that I restored/refurbished for a client that wanted one for each of their yachts. They were in very poor condition, and were stripped back to the wooden carcasses, recovered with artist grade canvas, and leather trimmed, and relined.

I then made velvet lined, canvas / leather trimmed outer covers for them,

A stylish life, eh :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members