• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besnard - Official Affiliate Thread

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I normally wear a 34 or 50 and prefer an opening of around 8 1/2 inches for dress trousers. Of course this is a constant debate here and everyone is different. There are other brands (which I won't name) that have a range of cuts, but to get anything close to the opening I prefer I need to get the option with four pleats (I exaggerate). I would prefer a flat front or 1-pleat model with a wider opening and I don't think I'm alone.
It's tough to judge without trying them on first, but that size chart is right in line with what most brands are doing. Maybe a tad slimmer than the 'middle of the road' but not way slimmer (I'm looking at my size, 52; I'd maybe add 1cm to the bottom width but that's pretty subtle.).
+1 to this. The trousers do look great for RTW, but I'd think at the bare minimum I'd want a 1/2" added to the leg opening...and likely closer to a full 1" to get to 8.5" on a 50.
I'm also partial to no buttons on rear pockets (the ideal is no rear pockets whatsoever), however that would not be a deal breaker for me.
I also think the leg opening is too tapered. For the size 52, I would prefer 8.25" to 8.5" and would not be mad at up to 9".

I like a nice break and don't like to show socks when standing/walking.

I find most IG/internet brands cut the trousers with way too much taper below the knees.
+1 for a minimum 8" leg width.
Also not a fan of self adjusting; prefer a belt.
And hate button flies.

Other than that...
Well that’s how you can’t please everyone I suppose I definitely prefer self adjusting over belt…
Pleasing everyone is an impossible task with ready-to-wear I’m afraid.

I’ve been considering making the leg opening a bit wider, so it’s valuable to see that there is a clear demand. However, this will - most likely - be more in the range of a half inch.

I will think about a solution to also satisfy the needs of those who prefer a wider leg (a full inch to the current size chart). If there is enough interest, I might be able to arrange a made-to-order batch for Fall Winter.

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You have some very nice items on your website, could I ask if the Fall/Winter 2021 tan POW sports jacket has now been discontinued please.
Do you deliver to the U.K. please…..ah just seen us under Rest of the World.

The POW jacket is not available anymore, but we are planning to introduce another POW jacket FW 2022.

And yes, we do ship to the UK. You can choose standard or express shipping at checkout.

sacaroly

Reaction score
+1 for 0.5-1 inch wider leg opening. +1 for MTO with more summer fabric options. It'd be useful if you could provide the back rise measurment. I understand the love for button fly but for MTO, I suggest adding zip fly option !

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1 for 0.5-1 inch wider leg opening. +1 for MTO with more summer fabric options. It'd be useful if you could provide the back rise measurment. I understand the love for button fly but for MTO, I suggest adding zip fly option !

We have some lovely Irish linen trousers in the new Spring Summer collection, arriving at the beginning of April (not in MTO since this is not in place yet).

The back rise (excl. waistband of 4cm) =
44 - 38cm
46 - 38.5cm
48 - 39.2cm
50 - 39.9cm
52 - 40.6cm
54 - 41.3cm

Your comment about the fly is duly noted, I'll see if this can be incorporated in the MTO program.

Mirage-

Reaction score
The navy slub-silk looks so sleek and unique. And I am (probably excessively) happy to see the nowadays rare jetted pockets rather than flaps, although most flaps are tuckable, just because it speaks of having an actual "intentional" design in mind rather than just going for the common practice. Personally I love patch pockets but I can see why the choice was made for jetted here.
Would have appreciated at least a single photo of the jacket worn while fastened though, to better judge the proportions (linen model doesn't have one either).
For trousers, a lot of things you may find in Italy are often more tapered than that, much to my dismay. Indeed this is a personal crusade of mine, against my own countrymen, that I have been fighting for a couple of years. I have almost resigned myself to buying trousers with good allowance and then having them let out at the knee rather than finding a leg-line I like from the get go.
That being said, I would probably consider +0.5'' to be good enough for me. Indeed my ideal is somewhere between that and +1''.
Regarding buttoned fly, I always wonder what is the point. My impression is brands just do it because in product photos it looks nicer (while it doesn't show at all when actually worn), but that's just my personal impression. I have also heard it is more expensive, which would definitely make it a worse choice imo, but on the other hand have also saw some MTO trouser makers charging extra for zips, which leaves me confused.

Oh, and the camp collar shirt is one of the very few short sleeved shirts I would consider, if not for the big pocket. Only shirts I like pockets on are work/military-style shirts, though I seldom wear them. And yes, that means my OCBDs are pocket-less as well. They are also "placket-less" and "box pleat-less", no matter what american tradition dictates - I am not american after all.

Finally, after seeing Yeossal's/Collaro's 3-pocket safari (ideally with patch on the chest) I haven't been able to go back to the usual ones, as that version looks much cleaner and more city-like, by being closer to a tailored jacket. But the fabrics offered here are certainly tempting me to.

Last edited:

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The navy slub-silk looks so sleek and unique. And I am (probably excessively) happy to see the nowadays rare jetted pockets rather than flaps, although most flaps are tuckable, just because it speaks of having an actual "intentional" design in mind rather than just going for the common practice. Personally I love patch pockets but I can see why the choice was made for jetted here.
Would have appreciated at least a single photo of the jacket worn while fastened though, to better judge the proportions (linen model doesn't have one either).
For trousers, a lot of things you may find in Italy are often more tapered than that, much to my dismay. Indeed this is a personal crusade of mine, against my own countrymen, that I have been fighting for a couple of years. I have almost resigned myself to buying trousers with good allowance and then having them let out at the knee rather than finding a leg-line I like from the get go.
That being said, I would probably consider +0.5'' to be good enough for me. Indeed my ideal is somewhere between that and +1''.
Regarding buttoned fly, I always wonder what is the point. My impression is brands just do it because in product photos it looks nicer (while it doesn't show at all when actually worn), but that's just my personal impression. I have also heard it is more expensive, which would definitely make it a worse choice imo, but on the other hand have also saw some MTO trouser makers charging extra for zips, which leaves me confused.

Oh, and the camp collar shirt is one of the very few short sleeved shirts I would consider, if not for the big pocket. Only shirts I like pockets on are work/military-style shirts, though I seldom wear them. And yes, that means my OCBDs are pocket-less as well. They are also "placket-less" and "box pleat-less", no matter what american tradition dictates - I am not american after all.

Finally, after seeing Yeossal's/Collaro's 3-pocket safari (ideally with patch on the chest) I haven't been able to go back to the usual ones, as that version looks much cleaner and more city-like, by being closer to a tailored jacket. But the fabrics offered here are certainly tempting me to.

Thanks.

For the new collection, I will also include more detailed pictures (in the studio), to provide a better idea of the fit of the jacket.

The button fly is a bit of a nod to my great-great-grandfather A. Besnard, the trousers I own that are made by him have a button fly, so I decided to include this detail.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
19cm for odd trouser minimal for me but probably prefer 21cm on say suit pant (EU46)

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Besnard - Context - 10.jpg

Our beloved oxford cloth button down shirts are back in stock. Our take on the OCBD features a generous collar, placket, chest pocket, and a box pleat. Made in a heavyweight 180 grams two-ply oxford cloth, which only gets better over time.

Available in white, light blue, dark blue, blue university stripe, and blue reverse stripe.

Besnard - Instagram - 19.jpg

Jazzthief

Reaction score
View attachment 1769463

Our beloved oxford cloth button down shirts are back in stock. Our take on the OCBD features a generous collar, placket, chest pocket, and a box pleat. Made in a heavyweight 180 grams two-ply oxford cloth, which only gets better over time.

Available in white, light blue, dark blue, blue university stripe, and blue reverse stripe.

View attachment 1769468
What is the height of the back of the collar band?

MaE

Reaction score
Hi Victor,

Will the linen trousers be cut on your flannel trousers pattern or on the pattern you use for your cotton trousers?

I’m asking because I own both and find the cotton trousers quite slim in the thigh vs. the flannel ones, even if the size chart only suggests a small difference (maybe it’s also the fabric that makes a difference).

Best,

MaE/Marc

Last edited:

VictorBesnard

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Victor,

Will the linen trousers be cut on the your flannel trousers pattern or on the pattern you use for your cotton trousers?

I’m asking because I own both and find the cotton trousers quite slim in the thigh vs. the flannel ones, even if the size chart only suggests a small difference (maybe it’s also the fabric that makes a difference).

Best,

MaE/Marc
Hi Marc, hope all is well. Good news, the pattern is the same pattern as the flannel trousers (even a bit less tapered at the bottom, but I will explain more about that when the new collection is live).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads